Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pre cooked camp meals

Re: pre cooked camp meals

Im into eating well. Usually fresh food like moose steak and morels or bear sausages for the first day or two, then frozen stews, soups, chili and curries etc. One of my favourites is split pea and ham soup, there is a pot cooking on the stove now for my upcoming hunt.

I typically drink red wine in the evenings now instead of beer, goes well with a good hot meal and is a bit easier on the system when already cold and wet.

And...I hate mountain house.

The wifes got Chilli and Hamburger soup on the stove as we speak . Vac bag, freeze and into the pot of hot water when yer hungry. Same thing for pre made boil in a bag omelettes !!

Moose from the year before. Cook a double batch for your family the week before you leave and freeze half for camp. Add Uncle bens boil in a bag rice. Ten minutes on the stove and you area king.

We do a lot of sandwiches with ham, fried egg, roast beef, turkey and canned salmon. Breakfast is usually bacon, eggs, fried left over baked potatoe and toast. Then sandwiches for lunch on the trail or road. Then another warming big meal for supper like beef stew, chicken stew, veggie soup, chili with thick home made bread. I like to cook others like to do the dishes!!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

We have lots of meals pre cooked and frozen in foil trays or twist top zip lock containers. Meat loaf, lasagna, ribs, spaghetti, chili, chicken wings, stew, chowder, all sorts of good stuff. The trays get heated on top of the wood stove in the wall tent, the more liquid like stuff gets put in a pot first.

Usually precook and or freeze, can and vacuum seal at least 12 meals for a 10 day hunt . Have some fresher thawed meals the first couple days . Frozen perogies and Italian deer sausages are a quick meal , marinated steaks or pork chops are quick also . Like already mentioned your precooked spaghetti sauces, stews are always tasty around the fire. Meat balls freeze well and go great with any sauce over rice or potatoes. Butter goose is a great make ahead meal for the goose hunters . A nice moose elk or beef roast roasted to perfection and frozen in a gravy is a hearty supper for those frosty evening meals. Precooked ham sliced also has come in handy for quick meals . I always bring a jar of honey garlic sauce ... for honey garlic boneless moose ribs . And seasoning for grouse fish ect. I always bring a couple canned stews soup for the nights you get back late and still have a moose to hang .... if you have never tried the cans of sardines in tomato sauce topped with cheddar cheese and warmed by the fire until bubbly give it a go. Tried this on a sheep hunt and tasted darn good. Nice change from mountain house ......
    No animals were hurt in the making of this video...just cooked up good and tasty !

On our most recent trip I Pre made Deer Tacos, Chicken Fajitas and smoked pulled pork packed som wraps and had some super eady filling meals in the moutains. Was nice to come home from hiking put the food on the fire and sit back. Definately going to do that again. We did also have fresh Brook trout, graylng and Caribou Steaks...

I usually bring a slow cooker meal and heat it once I get there.
    Stew, chilli, pulled Pork, jambalaya

other guys in my group do pastas, burgers, sandwiches
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Bunch of gawd damn enablers! Now I bought a vacuum bag thingy to prep meals for my blacktail boat trip! Boil in bag, here we come!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Sous vide your meat to 80% cooked , it will last longer and easier to cook