Thread: Must carry all tags - one in mail?

Must carry all tags - one in mail?

Didn't want to hijack the other thread about tags in the mail but had a related question. Today I found out I got Monday off so I was hoping to get away for some upland bird hunting before the madness of next weekend... then I remembered that I ordered a bobcat tag on Wednesday and don't have it yet.

(have one on my trail cam on my property starting to show up and was there a fair bit last winter, know it a long shot but would hate to have to pass on him this winter because no tag)

Anyways, the regs say I have to have all my issued tags (even cancelled ones) with me at all times while hunting. Has anyone been stopped by a CO while hunting and a tag was still in the mail? Bobcat opening is still a few weeks away so I wouldn't shoot him this trip even if I had the tag, I just don't want to get in trouble.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Must carry all tags - one in mail?

I was stopped a couple years ago and didn't have my lynx tag on me. I had recently bought it and it was on the fridge in the kitchen, forgot to put it in my pack with my other tags. CO never said anything
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thanks, I would just have my shotgun, know the regulations and am hoping that the purchase date buys me some leeway. My fault, should of planned ahead but just sort of figured what the heck once I saw he was back and ordered. Wasn't planning on doing any hunting for 3 more weeks so figured I had plenty of time. If I do get questioned I will be honest and hope the CO is understanding.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

I can’t see a problem if it’s still in transit. Got stopped by a co today was a really nice guy. Weird being pulled over with flashing lights like a traffic stop on a fsr

I think it would be pretty easy to argue that you haven't been issued your tag yet, as the Gov hasn't delivered it yet.

Do people really worry about stuff like this? In all my life, I have only met one Conservation officer that was a real jerk, and after we reported our experience, he was fired. (second complaint in a short period and not in BC) I was really young then, and since then, I have only ever had respectful, and I would go as far as to say helpful interactions with the COS. The majority of them have common sense. I think we worry too much about things that we know don't matter. I like Atlas12's answer.