Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tags in the mail

Re: Tags in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Yeah it's just because the Reg's say that you must be in possession of all issued tags if you are hunting. There is are no exceptions for what you might be hunting for.

It seems like a pretty dumb scenario. It is similar to PAL renewal. The moment your new PAL is issued, your old one is invalid even if it has not expired and it takes them weeks or months to print and send the new one, so you are technically in violation having firearms and not being able to produce a valid PAL in the mean time.

Our firearms laws and a lot of hunting laws are so poorly thought out and there is no effort to fix them. It puts us in all sorts of awkward situations. We deserve better.

Anyway, this one can be resolved fairly easily be a visit to Service BC and paying some extra money. Inconvenient, but at least there is a solution in this case, unlike the PAL renewal quagmire.

right makes sense. What if you just got your core and had no tags bought ever haha
    Member of CCFR

Update:

I just reached out to the ministry with an inquiry on the matter. Since they are the legislative party, their response will clarify "intent" of the law.

I did not leave any wiggle room. I will share the letter. Depending on the reply and any disclaimers that come with it, I might or might not be able to share the reply in full, but I will certainly summarize it. Anyway, here is the email I just sent off:

To whom it may concern,

I seeking clarification regarding the requirement to carry all issued species tags while hunting, specifically after a tag has been ordered online with an "Issued" status, but has yet to be received in the mail.

When I called today (October 15th) to inquire with the Front Counter staff about a Mule Deer tag ordered on October 4th, 2020 that has been issued but not received via Canada Post, I was advised that I would not be able to participate in any hunting (including species I possess tags for, or species such as grouse which do not require tags for residents) and would either need to continue waiting to see if it arrives in the mail or visit a Service BC Front Counter and pay a fee to have the tag re-issued.

The BC Hunting Sign In page (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...unting/hunting) states the following:

"Species licences bought online will be mailed. Allow approximately three weeks BEFORE your hunt."

I feel that most hunters will interpret this as indication the species tag might not be delivered for up to 3 weeks, meaning they will not be able to utilize that particular tag for up to 3 weeks. As many hunters participate in various "hunts" consistently throughout the season, if what I am advised by Front Counter is accurate, I feel that hunters may unwittingly order tags online without the realization that the tag is considered "Issued" upon the online transaction being processed, prior to delivery through mail and that the hunter is then required to cease all hunting activity until the tag is received.

Referring to the Wildlife Act for clarification, we find the following:

11 (1)A person who hunts wildlife commits an offence unless the person holds all of the following:
    (a)a hunting licence issued to the person under this Act;
    (b)any limited entry hunting authorization that is required by regulation;
    (c)any other licence that is required by regulation;
    (d)any other permit that is required by regulation.

And then we refer to the regulation:

"You must carry all your species licences while hunting, both cancelled and uncancelled. If you buy your species licence online, it will be mailed to you subject to Canada Post delivery times. If you buy your species licences in-person, you will obtain them immediately."

And of the definition of hunting:

"Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
    (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b)while in possession of a firearm or other weapon."

This all seems quite clear. The question I would have is "when" a species license ordered online become "your" species license. Is it immediately upon the website indicating the "Issued" status, or when it is actually received in the mail? Or is there a certain period where a hunter is not in violation if they do not have the tag (as the website suggests it might not be received for 3 weeks and the Front Counter staff advised 15 business days)

More simply put, is it accurate that a hunter is in violation punishable under the Wildlife Act if they do not cease all hunting activity between ordering a tag online and receiving it in the mail? If not, is there a specific grace period between ordering the tag and being required to possess it?

If the hunter will be in violation immediately for participating in any hunting after ordering any tag, can this be clarified on the website beyond "Species licences bought online will be mailed. Allow approximately three weeks BEFORE your hunt.", which most individuals would believe is only applicable to the species licenses being purchased? For example, "Species licences bought online will be mailed. You will be required to wait up to three weeks BEFORE commencing participation in ANY hunting of ANY species once an online tag has been ordered"

Thank you very much in advance for providing clarification on the matter.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-15-2020 at 10:02 PM.

I'm at 12 business days now for a tag ordered Sept 30 and it still hasn't arrived. Leaving tomorrow and Service BC says unless it's 15 business days I have to go in and pay to get a new one. In the past it's taken about 3 business days so this seems a bit crazy. Of course it will show up in the mail on Monday.

Somebody in the ministry isn't doing their job. I'm in service bc now waiting on my tags. They say I have to pay 20 bucks but their website makes no mention of this 15 business day delivery standard. I would have bought tags in person if that were the case. In all the years its never taken more than canada post delivery times plus 1 business day. I'll be talking to my mla about this breakdown in government services.

I'm at 14 business days...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Somebody in the ministry isn't doing their job. I'm in service bc now waiting on my tags. They say I have to pay 20 bucks but their website makes no mention of this 15 business day delivery standard. I would have bought tags in person if that were the case. In all the years its never taken more than canada post delivery times plus 1 business day. I'll be talking to my mla about this breakdown in government services.

I'm at 14 business days...
    I will go into Service BC mid next week if I have not received the tag. I was on the fence about going hunting this weekend anyway, so having to take a trip over to Service BC decided it for me. I will stay home, since they say I am not allowed to legally participate in any kind of hunting for any species until I am holding the outstanding tag.

Still waiting for clarification from the ministry with regard to my letter above, but I imagine they will just reiterate what the Front Counter says and that is "If you have ordered a deer tag online and you were to go hunting for grouse before receiving the deer tag in the mail, you will be in violation"

I ordered a moose tag online Oct 4th, as soon as our trip was confirmed. I did not receive it in the mail by today Oct 16. I called FrontCounter BC around 2pm and they said since it has been less than 15 business days (10 in this case) they could issue a new one for a $10 fee (it would have been free if it was over 15 days). But... they close to the public at noon so I would have to go to Service BC. So down to Service BC I go, stand in line, only for the collective wisdom of the ladies working there to tell me there is no option to issue a new tag if it was less than 15 days. I cite what FrontCounter told me and they stood their ground and there's nothing they can do. I go back outside and call FrontCounter back, the lady escalates the issue to her supervisor who confirms what they originally told me, but they are unable to contact the ServiceBC office and convince them of this. Forunately the very nice and understanding lady said I can come to FrontCounter and they will let me through the doors even though they are closed to the public and issue me a new tag for a $10 fee, which at this point I was happy to pay to make this problem go away.

My lesson learned which I will highly suggest to everyone - if you are buying a tag for a hunt that will start in less than 3 weeks, just do it in person.

For the record all my previous tag purchases have came in the mail in the 3-5 business day range.

@rampager

Sounds like a lot ot of people are being inconvenienced this year. I am curious the reason for the delay. It doesn't seem to be Canada Post (ordered lots of things since the tag, even across borders and received them already) Front Counter doesnt acknowledge being aware of any delays. Seems a bit fishy.

One thing to add or clarify as part of the lesson though is not just "if you are buying a tag for a hunt that will start less than 3 weeks" is "if you are buying any tag and plan on doing any hunting for any species in less than 3 weeks". Say for example if I order a tag today for a cougar hunt in Feb... what we are being told is once I order the cougar tag online for the February hunt, that it is illegal to go out and hunt deer or grouse until I receive the cougar tag even if it takes 3 weeks or is lost in the mail and I have to pay them more money to get it replaced. I emailed the ministry to confirm, but I suspect they will reiterate this dumb legal quagmire. So I think the lesson should be "never buy a tag online during the season unless you are prepared to cease all hunting activity for 3 weeks and/or drive out to a ServiceBC location to pay the ransom"
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-19-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Probably a leaf licker in the ministry or front counter office that thinks they can save some animals by not sending out the tags in a timely manner.

I ordered my tags delivered to Alberta 2 months before our hunt they arrived in 2 days.

Seems I’m also in this pickle. Purchased oct 8th.
    Didn’t think much of it at the time previously my tags have always shown up so fast I swear the dude giving em out resided in my P.O. Box.
    if they don’t come by tomorrow I will miss a second weekend of hunting. ��
    Last edited by the hopper; 10-21-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.