Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabela’s Pack Frame

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: Cabela’s Pack Frame

I have the Cabelas Alaskan frame. I've packed out lots of meat with it. Had to replace a couple buckles, but other than that its been comfy to put weight on it! I also bought a Tatonka, and my buddy has a Tatonka as well. I can attest to the Tatonka being able to haul HUGE loads of meat, and capes!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Okay Thank You fellas for the replies .! I think the Tatonka would be very expensive ! ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

We ended up dragging out our two bucks this weekend (probably should have packed one of them) so didn't get a chance to test the frame out.

I was at the Abbotsford store the other day and from what I could see of what looked higher end was the Cabalas branded pack frame the Prestige Pack Frame no bag $199.00.

Or. The Prestige Pack frame and bag for $$299.00

Or the Alaskan I pack frame and bag $ 199.00

Do you think the Prestige is a better frame than the Alaskan as the Alaskan has a round tube frame the Prestige triangular ? Also the bags seem quite different ?
    Also what about the differences in the bags between the Prestige and the Alaskan ?

Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-11-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Anyone ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Anyone ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    PM Sent ! RJ

At some point, you just need to make a judgement call and just go with it. I can see if you are torn between 2 items that cost allot of money but for a couple hundred bucks sometimes you just need to make a call and give it a try considering your own requirements and hunting style.

IMO, neither of these packs are as good as the discontinued Alaskan Guide. If it were me, I'd use the Alaskan 1 over the Prestige and look for another bag to fit on it. I looked at the prestige frame a couple times and wasn't impressed.

The bags on all Cabela's packs have never been very good. Mine is ok if fully loaded but lacks compression ability and is floppy/noisy if loaded light. It's pockets are external almost inaccessible when lightly loaded as the zippers bind. When fully loaded, it sticks out too far past the sides of the frame and you can't move your arm back without hitting pockets--- uncomfortable and frustrating when packing long distances.

It's been in a box in my garage since my last Griz hunt and a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag now sits on my frame.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Will respond RJ !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    PM Sent ! RJ

Good information Thanks Ron C !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    At some point, you just need to make a judgement call and just go with it. I can see if you are torn between 2 items that cost allot of money but for a couple hundred bucks sometimes you just need to make a call and give it a try considering your own requirements and hunting style.

IMO, neither of these packs are as good as the discontinued Alaskan Guide. If it were me, I'd use the Alaskan 1 over the Prestige and look for another bag to fit on it. I looked at the prestige frame a couple times and wasn't impressed.

The bags on all Cabela's packs have never been very good. Mine is ok if fully loaded but lacks compression ability and is floppy/noisy if loaded light. It's pockets are external almost inaccessible when lightly loaded as the zippers bind. When fully loaded, it sticks out too far past the sides of the frame and you can't move your arm back without hitting pockets--- uncomfortable and frustrating when packing long distances.

It's been in a box in my garage since my last Griz hunt and a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag now sits on my frame.

If you are going to hike and hunt with it, then I would look at an MR/SG/Kifaru. The externals are too noisy, squeaky and are always banging branches etc.

If you are simply looking for a pure meat hauler, then the Alaskan/Tatonka/Kelty etc. are a good alternative to the MR/SG/Kifaru.

I have an MR Pintler for my hunting pack and it works awesome for my use and I can pack out quarters with it when needed. I have a Tatonka for purely packing large weights like quarters, 50 lbs of salt/grain etc. and it is perfect for that! I tried hunting with it and it was a PITA when hunting brush. I also have a Camptrails Osprey that has packed out why more than I think a pack should pack in it life time and it still comes along as a backup/spare. Great external pack!

Save up for what you really need based on how you hunt and what you need in a pack. Lots of options out there.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!