Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabela’s Pack Frame

Re: Cabela’s Pack Frame

Thank You Sitka !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    If you are going to hike and hunt with it, then I would look at an MR/SG/Kifaru. The externals are too noisy, squeaky and are always banging branches etc.

If you are simply looking for a pure meat hauler, then the Alaskan/Tatonka/Kelty etc. are a good alternative to the MR/SG/Kifaru.

I have an MR Pintler for my hunting pack and it works awesome for my use and I can pack out quarters with it when needed. I have a Tatonka for purely packing large weights like quarters, 50 lbs of salt/grain etc. and it is perfect for that! I tried hunting with it and it was a PITA when hunting brush. I also have a Camptrails Osprey that has packed out why more than I think a pack should pack in it life time and it still comes along as a backup/spare. Great external pack!

Save up for what you really need based on how you hunt and what you need in a pack. Lots of options out there.

Cheers

SS
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    If you are going to hike and hunt with it, then I would look at an MR/SG/Kifaru. The externals are too noisy, squeaky and are always banging branches etc.

If you are simply looking for a pure meat hauler, then the Alaskan/Tatonka/Kelty etc. are a good alternative to the MR/SG/Kifaru.

I have an MR Pintler for my hunting pack and it works awesome for my use and I can pack out quarters with it when needed. I have a Tatonka for purely packing large weights like quarters, 50 lbs of salt/grain etc. and it is perfect for that! I tried hunting with it and it was a PITA when hunting brush. I also have a Camptrails Osprey that has packed out why more than I think a pack should pack in it life time and it still comes along as a backup/spare. Great external pack!

Save up for what you really need based on how you hunt and what you need in a pack. Lots of options out there.

Cheers

SS

I would 2nd this. In the grand scheme of things the price difference may actually end up disappearing if you decide to upgrade a year or two down the road. I've hunted with a freighter on before and for me at least it sucked, an HDPE frame sheet with aluminum stays, functional load lifters and a waistbelt with delta straps makes a world of difference if you're hiking around with camp on your back or packing out of "technical" terrain. I would recommend looking at the slumberjack bounty 2.0, not quite as adjustable or modular as MR/SG/kifaru/exo but pretty close at a fraction of the price. Doesn't ride quite as well with 100+lb loads and the frame sheet is definitely not as stiff as my duplex frame but the load shelf is awesome and it's easy to add a lid or additional pockets to it, also the angle of the load lifters allows them to actually lift the load off your shoulders and transfer the weight to your hips instead of just stabilizing the load a bit like you see with a lot of frame designs.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Arctic which pack did you buy. I'm in need of one and Cabelas has one on for sale for $250 called the multiday pack. Anyone tried this one? TIA