Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Arrow Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    ok 1st what was in the glass? with lemons.
    Limes. Ginger Ale and Rum.

Red wine is the betterhalfs right?
    Yep.

2nd have you done Morels? I found them quite earthy. Too earthy.
    Never have done them. Mind you we don't run across them in such large amounts anyway, so those we do find are chowed down on fresh.

Ride Red: Yes, the latest rain made them really pop.
    Used to freeze them, but even with three freezers there is often competition for space.
    And there is no "shelf life" once they are canned.
    Good product too.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    I've never found a single chantrelle never mind 15 lbs haha
    Man they are everywhere. Once you find one, you'll find them everywhere.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

All we have popping here is Inky's. Not going to can them because it would probably turn black.
    Going out on new trails will look for chantrelle mushrooms.
    Thanks for the informative thread Nog.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Looks delicious!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try canning some this weekend. Another way to preserve them I learned from this old Italian guy that I bought a table saw from. He would put the clean fresh shrooms in a quart jar and put as many shrooms in it to fill it, and then put a mixture of olive oil and vinegar with a 70/30 ratio olive oil to vinegar then seal the jar and what you end up with is Chantrelle's that are infused olive oil and vinegar, it works pretty good too.

Thumbs up Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to try canning some this weekend. Another way to preserve them I learned from this old Italian guy that I bought a table saw from. He would put the clean fresh shrooms in a quart jar and put as many shrooms in it to fill it, and then put a mixture of olive oil and vinegar with a 70/30 ratio olive oil to vinegar then seal the jar and what you end up with is Chantrelle's that are infused olive oil and vinegar, it works pretty good too.
    Thanks for that. Will have to give it a try...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Question Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

When "sealing" the jar, did he do so via a waterbath canner or pressure cooker, or simply toss the lid on and call it good?

Inquiring minds need to know...

Thanks in advance...
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

My impression was that he didn't seal the jar, just closed the lid on it. It might be a good idea to put it through a canning cycle. I'v done the same thing but used the mushrooms within weeks not months. I'v done the same thing with hot peppers but just with Rum for some hot pepper rum to cook with, an idea from James Barber to put with prawns, it was really good. Habanero pepper rum! Yummie. That rum lasts for years.

Thanks. If I give it a go, I'll do some more research and post what I get up to here.

Cheers

Guess he got to Know me

Add some garlic and parsley to make it even better.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕