Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Thumbs up Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Collect 15 or 16 pounds of shrooms:

Set up your processing station:

Clean (Brush & Trim) all shrooms, then place in steamer:

Continued...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Gently steam with garlic and lemon juice in the water, and garlic sprinkled over-top.
    Place steamed shrooms into previously disinfected jars with 1 teaspoon each of Himalayan Pick Rock Salt and Apple Cider Vinegar.
    Process at 10 pounds for 40 minutes then stand to cool.

These turn out very favorable and crisp. Excellent addition to any meal. Simply tossed one still warm can into the Beef Stroganoff last night for a taste test.
    Yup. YUMMY!

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Oh jeeeez,,,, that looks soooo good Nog. Theres always good eats around your place!
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I've never found a single chantrelle never mind 15 lbs haha

Matt, How long do you steam them for?
    last time I canned Chantrelles they shrunk to like 50% jar capacity.... but I also canned fresh... I also canned them with bacon and onions so I canned them like they were meat...... I have about 10lbs in the fridge as we speak!

Arrow Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Matt, How long do you steam them for?
    last time I canned Chantrelles they shrunk to like 50% jar capacity.... but I also canned fresh... I also canned them with bacon and onions so I canned them like they were meat...... I have about 10lbs in the fridge as we speak!
    You just want them a tad more done than a simple blanch. Doing that ensures your shrinkage rate is kept to the minimum when canning (see pix above - very little in the way of space loss). The loss rate in the steamer was a hint more than 30% for each batch. That would appear to be the correct measure to run with IMHO.

One of our mutual buddy's friends actually fries them a little with bacon, garlic & onions before canning and that turns out OK.

Alternatively you could steam them, then add the bacon & onions in when canning them methinks.

Good luck Buddy!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

I think the trouble is when meat canning you need to can them for 90 minutes at 11lbs? ish,,, id have to go re read my book....... that makes the shrink rate high...but steaming them.... that should change it....

Thumbs up Re: Canning Chantrelle Mushrooms

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I think the trouble is when meat canning you need to can them for 90 minutes at 11lbs? ish,,, id have to go re read my book....... that makes the shrink rate high...but steaming them.... that should change it....
    It really does. Last year I canned them fresh. Wasn't pleased with the shrink rate in the jar - left far too much space. So did some reading & thinking on the matter and came up with the steam processing. That has worked very well this time around, and will be my Go-To down the road.

Just one of the reasons I posted as I thought many wouldn't be aware of how to address the shrink rate BS.

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

ok 1st what was in the glass? with lemons. Red wine is the betterhalfs right?
    2nd have you done Morels? I found them quite earthy. Too earthy.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

This past week’s rainstorm should of made the mushrooms pop. I’m not picking any this year as I still have a bunch of Chanterelles in the freezer. We freeze them fresh/whole.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.