Thread: Backpack hunting gear

Backpack hunting gear

I currently have a BA Storm King and their sleeping pad and it is very comfortable warm but it is a little on the heavy side I've heard good things about quilts. Anyone using a quilt and can recommend a good brand.

I looked at UGQ bandit quilts and they look very lightweight and top quality

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpack hunting gear

Does anyone here use a quilt for backpacking

Yes a UGQ Quilt 0 deg F.
    The best thing about a quilt for me is they are simple and comfortable. When I’m backpack hunting I pretty much sleep fully clothed. With a quilt there’s no fighting with zippers when you want to cool off a little or let an arm or leg stretch out. No fighting with the bag when your trying to roll from one side to the other.
    When you order, you will have the option of having a permanently sewn foot box, meaning the bottom is like a regular sleeping bag. In my opinion this takes away the versatility of the quilt. Mine has a short zipper and a draw string that allows me to do that, or use it like a rectangular quilt.
    make sure you don’t go too small on the sizing. It’s nice to have lots of material for easily tucking it around your shoulders if it’s cold. They come with 1-3 straps or bungee style cords that go around your sleeping mat that allows you to clip the quilt to your mat. I find two of these work great. It makes the quilt part of your mat, and you’re just in between the two.
    Im a big fan.

Mod 7 rem. Could you tell us what exact model you have ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Yes a UGQ Quilt 0 deg F.
    The best thing about a quilt for me is they are simple and comfortable. When I’m backpack hunting I pretty much sleep fully clothed. With a quilt there’s no fighting with zippers when you want to cool off a little or let an arm or leg stretch out. No fighting with the bag when your trying to roll from one side to the other.
    When you order, you will have the option of having a permanently sewn foot box, meaning the bottom is like a regular sleeping bag. In my opinion this takes away the versatility of the quilt. Mine has a short zipper and a draw string that allows me to do that, or use it like a rectangular quilt.
    make sure you don’t go too small on the sizing. It’s nice to have lots of material for easily tucking it around your shoulders if it’s cold. They come with 1-3 straps or bungee style cords that go around your sleeping mat that allows you to clip the quilt to your mat. I find two of these work great. It makes the quilt part of your mat, and you’re just in between the two.
    Im a big fan.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I’ve never understood the attraction to a quilt compared to a sleeping bag, unzip your sleeping bag and lay it on top of you like a quilt if that’s what you want, it’s what I’ve done for the last few years since switching to a down bag as the dam thing is so warm.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I’ve never understood the attraction to a quilt compared to a sleeping bag, unzip your sleeping bag and lay it on top of you like a quilt if that’s what you want, it’s what I’ve done for the last few years since switching to a down bag as the dam thing is so warm.
    X2 ... I see no benefit to a quilt. Sure it's a bit lighter in weight, but I would never trust a 0*F rating on something I could not zip up if the wind picked up.

I've been out a few nights this September and since it's been so warm just used my sleeping bag as a blanket.

My bag is 15 years old and at 3lbs there are definitely lighter options out there nowdays but it will be replaced with another bag, not a quilt.

I have a Bandit. Just the basic model. No add ons.

I didn’t see any need to switch from the down mummy bags I’ve been using for the last 20 years, but decided to try something different. It may not be best for all situations and I still have my other bags, but two years in and I’m glad I decided to try it.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-30-2020 at 10:36 PM.

used to have an enlighted equipment quilt, it was nice and light weight. I found it good for warmer weather but anything where you actually needed warmth from a bag i found it kinda shitty. Just my opinion though.

No expert here but just a couple things. As far as gear - probably the most important pieces - and they may cost you are, #1 a comfortable pack thats big enough to get you, your stuff and a critter back out if you get lucky. Don't just look at the cool camo hunting packs - check out the real backpack packs also for comfort. Or, a couple suggestions that I really like, the Sitka Bivy 45 is pretty nice, any of the Mystery Ranch stuff is also 1st rate - but its whatever fits you - go with that.

Tents - get a good one - lightweight typically means $$$$. Not always but the lighter the weight the lighter it makes your wallet. I have a modified Sierra Design Light Year, cost about $150, weighs 3 lbs. 6 oz. and I can sit up in it, and it has a nice vestible for storing stuff. Its had a foot of snow come down on it and stood up fine. All the cool backpack hunter guys use Hilleberg tents but they are pricey.

Sleeping bags are another critical piece - down is lightest and costs the most, synthetic cheaper & heavier but for NW probably fine. I have a Western Mountaineering Badger 15 degree bag, click here to learn more about it - its water resistant,well maybe even waterproof its been rained on, back support and I stayed dry. Anyway, it weighs 2 lb 12oz, but it isn't cheap Kelty also makes some good bags that aren't too spendy.

Other stuff, lightweight stove - maybe Snow Peak Titanium and their cook set for one person, whole thing only weighs several ozs. Can you tell it all about the weight

Anyway, the list goes on, water filter, trekking poles, flashlights, food and on and on, everyone will have some great imput I'm sure but just find out what works for you - and go forth and hunt
    Last edited by Imolinted; 11-01-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Dereck

pretty much the lighter you go the more you pay.
    I use a mountain hardware ghost whisperer -7 down bag weights 1lbs 12oz but its pricey
    I tried a big agnes ultralight 2p tent but found it to be lacking in the durability department and the zippers would constantly get caught up in the fabric
    so went with a MSR hubba hubba 2P and its a awesome tent and fairly light weight. ive taken it on 2 fly in sheep hunts and a walk in hunt so far.
    Backpacks are the main thing. Don't cheap out or else you will hate it and be miserable.
    sleeping pads just go with what your willing to spend really. i tried to get the lightest one possible and its ok, definitely not the comfiest but does the trick.
    Dialing in your food is where your going to save the most weight. i tend to always over pack in the food department lol.