Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying 2 into the Field / Bush

Re: Carrying 2 into the Field / Bush

Ive shot grouse and rabbits with my 3006. Bullets dont even have a chance to expand since they are barnes tsx (solid copper)
    Works well, leaves a nice smallish hole without turning the small game to mist

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Wilhelm View Post
    Hi, have any of you tried / tested carrying two guns out to a hunt ?

I am specifically thinking of taking a Rifle and a Shotgun.

The main harvest would be with the Rifle, but the Shotgun would be there for an opportunistic shot at small game and Predator defence.

If you have tried this, how did you stow / carry the 2nd firearm ?

On VI I like to hunt with my Drilling. Drilling is the German word for 3 Barreled Gun. My Drilling has 2, 16Ga Shotgun Barrels side by side and underneath is a 7*65R Rifle Barrel. (7*65R is similar to 270 Winchester). In my right hand Shotgun Barrel I have a full length .22 Hornet insert Barrel. The 7*65R Rifle Bullet and the .22 Hornet Bullet shoot 1.5" Groups at 100 Meters. Of course there is a high Quality Scope mounted on quick detachable SEM Mounts.
    With a setup like this I could shoot anything from Grouse to Bear to Elk or whatever.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I have a nice .410 that is light and folds in half, sometimes I'll shove that in my pack and sling the rifle of the shoulder. its nice that i can pack slugs and shot for protection and small game yet still nice and light.

I ącarry a little badger in my backpack. Love using it to take rabbits on the road coming back from a deer hunt.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I carry a Hammond Game Getter for the rifle I take with me, it only weighs a few ounces, takes small game with ease, and is a bit quieter than a 22.
    And the best part, your only carrying one firearm, and not troubled with two.
    And on a plus side, I also use the game getter to do initial sight in at 25yards, then jump to 100y with the regular ammo, saves on ammo and shoulder, especially when sighting in lightweight high power rifles.

Sometimes I carry my .22 with subsonic and my rifle. Depends if I’m going for a long hike or not, exploring new country. Probably will just start carrying a sling shot instead. Every time I see a grouse and I only have my rifle I kick myself for not bringing it
    Member of CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Wilhelm View Post
    Hi, have any of you tried / tested carrying two guns out to a hunt ?

I am specifically thinking of taking a Rifle and a Shotgun.

The main harvest would be with the Rifle, but the Shotgun would be there for an opportunistic shot at small game and Predator defence.

If you have tried this, how did you stow / carry the 2nd firearm ?
    I tried this early in my hunting career, ever so briefly. Either one on the shoulder or fixed to the pack and cradle carry the other. It's awkward, lot of extra weight, one more thing to snag on things and annoying when you're banging them against each other. Repeated this again when I started bow hunting (carrying a gun for defense) but quickly realized getting mauled (if the bear spray doesn't work) would suck less than carrying a bow and a gun

These days if I am bow hunting I just take my chances and hope the bear spray works... and if I want to hunt grouse and maybe opportunistically take big game I just bring the 12ga with slugs and bird shot. This works for me in Region 2. The longest shot I have ever taken an animal at is 70 yard, second longest 25 and most under 20.

For predator defense I prefer the rifle, but a shotgun can work if you have something better than bird shot in the pipe. Reasonable chance you won't have time to swap / load guns if something goes down.

If you're set on it, it might be worth looking into an over-under setup and see if you can find something with a decent rifle caliber and something that flings some scatter around. I think there is a Savage over-under 30/30 / 20ga... and a Chippa 243 / 410 ... damn why did I just google that... now I am tempted LOL

I’ve got a savage in 30-30 over 20 gauge, my eyes are getting bad for decent shooting with open sights, but it’s a good set up for when you’re just wandering around looking for whatever you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I carry a little badger 22 with subsonics. I enjoy hunt even more now. Always come back with something good to eat. Plus they are super light.
    I did the same for a few years, the Badger folds up pretty small.
    Son has the Badger now, lent it to him a few years ago, might not see it back.

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    I’ve got a savage in 30-30 over 20 gauge, my eyes are getting bad for decent shooting with open sights, but it’s a good set up for when you’re just wandering around looking for whatever you can find.
    Is that the 24V? From what I read you can put a scope on there, sight it in for the 30-30 and it should be on point for taking grouse and bunnies with the 20ga?