Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying 2 into the Field / Bush

Re: Carrying 2 into the Field / Bush

Can you scope a badger? Thinking super small one.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I used to carry both, but like caddisguy, I found it sucks. Since my wife did her core, she can bring her 20 gauge and I’ll bring the .30-30.

I’ve carried 2, it sucks. A combo gun would be good, a drilling perfect.

Darnit Frederick !

This thread made me curious about combo guns again.

What started as a curiosity has lead to a couple hours of feverishly scouring the internet for a Savage 30-30 / 20ga combo or at least a Chippa 243 / 410 combo.

So for the best I can come up with is a Chippa 22 / 410 combo but that doesn't really solve for the "big game / small game + distance" problem

Everywhere is sold out. I guess these were considered good "survival" and "bug out" guns in recent history (also they are marketed as such) and like the TP will take some time to replenish.

Of course now they second I find one, I will feel the pressure to buy even more LOL
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-29-2020 at 11:25 PM.

HBC... enabling since 2004.

Go get one caddis!

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    HBC... enabling since 2004.

Go get one caddis!
    Trying man... LOL

Seems center fire / shotty over-under hoarding is real.

That said, it probably best answers the main question in this thread. Even the masses who went on panic gun buying sprees (most of whom have never hunted or carried a firearm in the bush) agree that carrying more than one long gun is a bad deal and having a center fire rifle / shotty in the same stock on the same shoulder strap is the best way to go about it.

Okay you over under hoarders... nobody is bugging out... give one up. 30-30 / 20ga would be ideal but I can work with a 243 / 410. I have some lysol wipes if that sweetens the deal. I'm going to go rock myself back and forth fantasizing of acquiring such a gadget until I fall asleep and tomorrow is another day with new possibilities.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-29-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Years ago my BIL would come and hunt with me. He hunted with a 300 WM and insisted he carry a shotgun for bear defense.
    We were out toward the end of a road that broke open into a huge cutblock. As we entered, he decided he needed a dump so stop the truck and out he pops to do his deed out of sight behind one of those large spruce tree root mats. As I sit there waiting for him, I see what appears to be footprints up front aways in the fresh snow and curse that someone had already walked through a head of us although there was no other tire prints in the snow. I'm thinking that whoever had walked from the road just south that parallels the one we came in on and was heading to a similar oriented road to the north. Anyhow, he gets back in the truck and I point out the tracks out front and drive forward the short distance to them and lo, they ain't man tracks, they're grizzly tracks. So we backtrack and spend the morning lower down.
    Come afternoon, we had move to a zone to the north and spent some time trying to get a bead on a bull that kept playing dodge the hunter. We decided that we needed a nap to folded the seats back and had an hourly siesta. Upon waking, I point to a cow and calf moose on the other side of the vale. Off we boogaloo to follow up on that. The cow and calf bolt across the slope in front of us. We split, I go left to get behind the pair and he goes right to intercept, carrying his rifle and shotgun. This area is about a 15-20 year regrowth so the visibility is very limited. You could stumble into something in a heart beat. I'm less than 3 or 4 minutes into my hike and the BIL had a head start so to position himself as I intend on doing the push. The next thing I hear this piercing scream, can't tell if man or animal and from the direction that if comes from, it's the direction that man and moose had departed for. One thing that I am certain about is that I am not going to charge in there to see because that scream was truly mortal. I will give the BIL 10 minutes to show up, otherwise I will have to go for help. There are 5 guys on the slope across who I can see and my thinking is that I will let off three shots and start waving at them should the BIL not appear in the designated time. At the 8 minute mark, the BIL comes long shanking around on the trees into plain view, carrying his shotgun at the ready and the winmag on his shoulder. We conclude that the grizzly we saw in the morning probably caught the calf running right into it.
    So the point. I chewed the BIL out, telling him that he had little chance of getting a shot off if he were the one under attack, but at least there would be a chance. Exchanging one for the other rendered no chance at all. I told the BIL if he wanted, pack one or the other, but not both. Where there is the potential to run into a grizzly at close quarters while hunting, time to get a defensive shot off is critical. Use what is in your hand.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Can you scope a badger? Thinking super small one.
    Have seen folks with small red dots on them.
    There's a place in the US that sells a lot of accessories, improvements for the Badger, damned if I can find the name tho'. A good Google search or cheking on CGN should find them.
    Sometimes if I'm not interested in Big Game I'll walk the local FSR's with a Double Badger in .410 & 22 WMR.

A few years ago when Son In Law was an Initiation Hunter we went into the hills with him carrying a Savage 99 .308 and a Toz 20 Gauge for Grouse and Bunnies.
    After a morning of hiking around with both I suggested moving to another area and suggested he leave the 20 in the truck as there weren't any grouse where we were going.
    We get 15 minutes from the truck, he spots a huge grouse in the bush, heads back to the truck, grabs the 20 but the grouse was gone.
    He doesn't listen much to my advice anymore. He did get a bunny with the 20 the next day tho'.

Brno 7X57R over 12 gauge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	477AE97A-3A5B-4133-98DE-866B5FDA2110.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	8085  
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.