Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long hunting journey finally lead to my first big game

Re: Long hunting journey finally lead to my first big game

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    and you sir, are part of the problem. Doesn't matter who shot the moose, point is we got one and I contributed in a big way. He wouldn't have gotten the shot off if it wasn't for me.

@high and to the right, thank you. Yes that's true when it comes to meat, it doesn't matter who took the shot, the point is meat is in the freezer. I'm finding so many people just want to shoot something so they keep going until everyone in the camp gets a moose. Before you know it, they have too much moose meat and either give it all away or make it into dog food. Greed to the fullest.
    first off I commend you for self reporting and doing the right thing. But the way you explains things ( see bolded area) you are also part of the problem. To me it seems you are all in it for the meat. At the end of the day it does matter who shoots the moose as it has to be the one with the legal tag and out hunting. Seen to many camps where you are right a few guys do all the killing but it’s the people in camp that are letting it happen or don’t care because they are going home with meat.

I went elk Bow hunting this fall and was in a camp with my cousin and a few other guys. My cousin got a bull before I got there and I helped skin it. Another of the older guys got a bull in a nasty spot and helped with the retrieval. I tell people “we “ got two bulls but I came home with no meat. I was offered some of the elk but I turned it down. At the end of the day it was a great hunt and meat would have been a bonus.

the way you have written it, I don’t think you would have a issue with someone filling your tags, (as you proved you were happy to fill others) the previous year, as long as you go home with meat.

also if the other guys from the previous year were on here to right a story I’m sure there would be guys saying “good thing you guys dropped the cow shooter from your party”. Maybe they are clowns I don’t know, or your meat at all costs attitude and they were like “F**k it, you shot you are on your own. “

BHb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Nice moose! Nice to get good news in 2020!!!!!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    first off I commend you for self reporting and doing the right thing. But the way you explains things ( see bolded area) you are also part of the problem. To me it seems you are all in it for the meat. At the end of the day it does matter who shoots the moose as it has to be the one with the legal tag and out hunting. Seen to many camps where you are right a few guys do all the killing but it’s the people in camp that are letting it happen or don’t care because they are going home with meat.

I went elk Bow hunting this fall and was in a camp with my cousin and a few other guys. My cousin got a bull before I got there and I helped skin it. Another of the older guys got a bull in a nasty spot and helped with the retrieval. I tell people “we “ got two bulls but I came home with no meat. I was offered some of the elk but I turned it down. At the end of the day it was a great hunt and meat would have been a bonus.

the way you have written it, I don’t think you would have a issue with someone filling your tags, (as you proved you were happy to fill others) the previous year, as long as you go home with meat.

also if the other guys from the previous year were on here to right a story I’m sure there would be guys saying “good thing you guys dropped the cow shooter from your party”. Maybe they are clowns I don’t know, or your meat at all costs attitude and they were like “F**k it, you shot you are on your own. “

BHb
    Well there were some history between myself and the old team. Trust me when I say his past behavior would lead anyone to believe that he would have no problem with what I did. You're also taking my comments out of context. It was replying to "congrats on your buddy's moose". It doesn't matter which one of us took the shot. As long as it was shot legally, we both played an instrumental role in getting it.

Where in that comment does it say meat at all cost even illegal ones? I meant it doesn't matter who shoots the moose and fills their own tags, as long as we have meat. I've learned from my mistakes last year that I don't shoot someone else's tag for them and vice versa.

It may be best to take a break from posting and read the regulations to best understand what you're doing and more importantly saying. Taking out of context is one thing, but readers are looking at what is written and what you wrote like the "cow tag was a camp tag" - this is not what everyone is taught in CORE training. You may have had a handshake deal with your partners, but its best not to try to justify that, especially not on a website.
    Its a shame at the end of the day the moose was shot and the meat was not used. But at the end it was not a legal harvest even if your old partners had tagged that cow as their own.
    I seem to recall that Manitoba has a group type harvest allowance where this would be legal but in BC - not legal.
    Well there were some history between myself and the old team. Trust me when I say his past behavior would lead anyone to believe that he would have no problem with what I did. You're also taking my comments out of context. It was replying to "congrats on your buddy's moose". It doesn't matter which one of us took the shot. As long as it was shot legally, we both played an instrumental role in getting it.

Where in that comment does it say meat at all cost even illegal ones? I meant it doesn't matter who shoots the moose and fills their own tags, as long as we have meat. I've learned from my mistakes last year that I don't shoot someone else's tag for them and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    It may be best to take a break from posting and read the regulations to best understand what you're doing and more importantly saying. Taking out of context is one thing, but readers are looking at what is written and what you wrote like the "cow tag was a camp tag" - this is not what everyone is taught in CORE training. You may have had a handshake deal with your partners, but its best not to try to justify that, especially not on a website.
    Its a shame at the end of the day the moose was shot and the meat was not used. But at the end it was not a legal harvest even if your old partners had tagged that cow as their own.
    I seem to recall that Manitoba has a group type harvest allowance where this would be legal but in BC - not legal.
    Why is everyone so hung up on the cow tag thing. I already said I learned from it, and paid the price. I'm just trying to respond to guys being dicks about the situation by claiming that I can't celebrate a successful moose hunt because I didn't shoot the moose. Now you guys come here and twist the hell out of what I've said, disregard the fact that I owned up and learned from my mistake, and then tried to extrapolate that attitude to this year's hunt.

We had a miscommunication. At the start of the day he said "if we hear a gunshot, lets all get back together so we don't accidentally shoot the same thing twice". I heard that as confirmation that I could shoot his cow and he could shoot my bull.
    That’s illegal.

If someone in your group shot a moose, “you” as in plural got a moose. I totally agree with that. If you didn’t shoot a moose and cut your own tag “You” as an individual didn’t get a moose. That’s why the horns go home with the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    That’s illegal.
    Holy cow! YES I KNEW THEN AND I KNOW THAT IT WAS ILLEGAL FFS! I messed up then, I paid the price, I learned my lesson, got a second chance, and used that second chance to LEGALLY get a moose with an old coworker. CAN WE MOVE THE F%^# ON?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    If someone in your group shot a moose, “you” as in plural got a moose. I totally agree with that. If you didn’t shoot a moose and cut your own tag “You” as an individual didn’t get a moose. That’s why the horns go home with the shooter.
    Regardless, WE were successful and WE split the meat because one wouldn't have gotten the moose without the other.

Fact is, I had a successful hunt with a hunting partner. No amount of dbaggery from people is going to change that fact. It's not like I just sat there and did nothing while the coworker went out and shot the moose. I got it grunting, I called it in to a shooting position, he shot it. It's called teamwork.
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-29-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Aren’t you the guy who was complaining about driving a mere 6 hours and not hearing elk bugles within 2 hours of arriving at your camp? And you were bitching about “eating a tag?” You sound pretty entitled and out to lunch man.