Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light, High Quality Knife for processing game ... recommendations?

Re: Light, High Quality Knife for processing game ... recommendations?

Anyone use the North Arms Mallard Bird and trout knife for skinning bigger game? If so, have a review? Looking at a new skinning quality and like the idea of purchasing a BC product.

I use a relatively heavy benchmade bushcrafter for everything. works as a small axe, dexterous enough for caping and processing a kill. just something ive gotten used to carrying everywhere with me in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by BiohazardHands View Post
    Anyone use the North Arms Mallard Bird and trout knife for skinning bigger game? If so, have a review? Looking at a new skinning quality and like the idea of purchasing a BC product.
    I have been eyeing the Trout and Mallard. Really like the idea for deboning and more nimble work. Will be ordering one as my first North Arms product and the plan to order a lynx next. I have no shortage of knives but will sell the less used ones if these are preferred.

Ended up with the argali knife.
    Really like it. Did a great job on two elk and a mtn goat this year.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Im not really a knife guy as I lose them as fast as I get them so always go cheap and disposable.........until Salmonbelly (Colin) fixed me up with a North Arms Skaha II knife, well call me impressed, crazy sharp and holds an edge like Ive never seen, light weight and really comfortable in your hand, I cant thank SalmonBelly enough for the knife as its excellent to say the least.

7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Any knife is only as good as the guy sharpening it.
    this is it. north arm is pricey and you have to wait a year. forget it!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I think I have chimed in on few knife threads so I will give this one a go as well . I like knives of all kinds . I was on the end of one for many, many years but different scenario than for hunting and the outdoors . I just can’t see buying a real expensive knife for the outdoors . They are to prone to loss ! Hmmm. Where did I put that knife down . But if you can afford the loss I guess it doesn’t matter.

Stainless , less maintenance . If it’s just carbon , mineral oil is your friend . A knife steel between 56 and 60 on the Rockwell C scale sharpens relatively easy and holds and edge for awhile . Blade shape, you kneed a point .
    I liked the older Bucks that were made in the USA now some are made in China . Like the Moras
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Update... I ordered the Trout and Mallard last Sunday and had a nice surprise show up at my door today. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it's a sleek knife with what appears to be a nice hunk of steel. Will let you know a report once utilized a few times. No wait list on this order...

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    Update... I ordered the Trout and Mallard last Sunday and had a nice surprise show up at my door today. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it's a sleek knife with what appears to be a nice hunk of steel. Will let you know a report once utilized a few times. No wait list on this order...
    If your like me I think you’ll be surprised. I got one for myself and a Trillium paring knife for the wife. The Trillium is the same specs as the Trout and Mallard minus the sheath and lanyard hole. The wife loves it as it has a bigger handle than most paring knives and is easier to hold onto with arthritis. Uses it for everything. Wicked sharp and holds its edge. Couple of swipes on a steel and it’s back to work.
    They are out there,they look like us,they talk like us, but they ain’t us.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I currently have a buck knife and It really like it but it is a tank and its blade is very rounded.

I have the outdoor edge replacement but I am finding hide and bone destroy those blades pretty quick so I like to use my buck knife for that work and then the replacement for skinning.

I don't want to have just one knife in case the outdoor edge fails.

So at this point I want to buy myself a nice, lightweight knife with quality steel and a blade that isn't too rounded so that I can sharpen it at home.

Something like this looked interesting:
    https://argalioutdoors.com/products/...31847827046479

Does anyone have recommendations for me? Experiences to share?

Thank you.
    By processing, I take it that you mean field dressing and skinning, not butchering.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to find a knife with the blade shape/length/weight you like made from good quality steel. Then get a decent sharpening kit (like a Lansky or equivalent).

I am not sold on the replacement blade type of knives. I have a Havalon but it is rarely used. OK for caping a head for taxidermy but not much else IMO.
    Always with me on a hunt is my Buck 119. It holds an edge really well and has field dressed and skinned every moose and deer I have had the good fortune to take. The only thing I don't use the Buck119 for is gutting fish but I am sure I could do it in a pinch.
    Semper in excretum altum