Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light, High Quality Knife for processing game ... recommendations?

Re: Light, High Quality Knife for processing game ... recommendations?

Lynx or the puma are top notch

ok. Please chime in knife people.
    Seems like the blades are the same material. One is just quite a bit lighter than the other.

My goal was to have a really light fixed blade to compliment my outdoor edge replaceable.
    I am torn because I'd rather buy the North Arm because it's a local business, but I am really not saving much weight over my existing knife....and because the price is lower!

I was prepared to spend a lot on a nice knife as a treat to myself so I am ok with the Carbon's price tag (I have USD's stashed away and a USD Visa so I can avoid some of those extra transaction costs).

Any opinions on these two knives would be appreciated.

I am down to 2 knives:
    https://argalioutdoors.com/collectio...s/carbon-knife
    https://northarmknives.com/product/l...c=e38de74562d1

It's really a matter of personal preference and intended use. The North Arm is going to be a bit larger and more robust, albeit with a couple ounces weight penalty, but more than $100 cheaper once delivered. If you're regularly backpack hunting, you might justify the Argali, or take a look at the North Arm Skaha II folding knife. The Skaha is the same size as the Argali knife, and probably weighs the same or less once you include the sheath on the Argali. I'd personally support the local business with either of their options (I have the Lynx knife).

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    It's really a matter of personal preference and intended use. The North Arm is going to be a bit larger and more robust, albeit with a couple ounces weight penalty, but more than $100 cheaper once delivered. If you're regularly backpack hunting, you might justify the Argali, or take a look at the North Arm Skaha II folding knife. The Skaha is the same size as the Argali knife, and probably weighs the same or less once you include the sheath on the Argali. I'd personally support the local business with either of their options (I have the Lynx knife).
    Earlier this year I picked up a Lynx from their shop and spoke with John and he was telling me there's almost a 1 year wait list for the Skaha and they were in the middle of moving to a bigger shop. Not sure if North Arm has made any progress on that wait list though.

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    Earlier this year I picked up a Lynx from their shop and spoke with John and he was telling me there's almost a 1 year wait list for the Skaha and they were in the middle of moving to a bigger shop. Not sure if North Arm has made any progress on that wait list though.
    How have you found the Lynx? No doubt it'll get the job done, but curious how you found it while skinning animals.

+1 for north arm. I've managed to gift almost everyone in my family one over the years. They are the "go-to" when not using an exchangeable. Cannot speak towards skinning with the lynx .. I use a havalon for all my gutin and Gill'n.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    +1 for north arm. I've managed to gift almost everyone in my family one over the years. They are the "go-to" when not using an exchangeable. Cannot speak towards skinning with the lynx .. I use a havalon for all my gutin and Gill'n.
    Perfect. That's usually how I do it as well. Hide and other tougher spots with the fixed blade then peeling skin back with the exchangeable.

Any knife is only as good as the guy sharpening it.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Any knife is only as good as the guy sharpening it.
    Fair comment. I've noticed the SV steel north arm knives uses to be a challange getting it "sticky" sharp. Once sharp it holds that edge well.

Sounds like others have found it easy to sharpen so take that for what it's worth.

- last edit - just thought I'd add ... there fillet knives are superb ... peel the sides of a fish in a hurry.
    Last edited by exv; 10-01-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    Fair comment. I've noticed the SV steel north arm knives uses to be a challange getting it "sticky" sharp. Once sharp it holds that edge well.

Sounds like others have found it easy to sharpen so take that for what it's worth.

- last edit - just thought I'd add ... there fillet knives are superb ... peel the sides of a fish in a hurry.
    The opening statement on the O/P's thread reads, "I currently have a buck knife and It really like it but it is a tank and its blade is very rounded. ". This is what prompted my post. We don't know which Buck knife the O/P is referring to but I suspect a 119.

His self admission, "its blade is very rounded" indicates that sharpening the blade is seldom or never done. Buck provides an instruction sheet with each knife and is also accessible on their website. https://www.buckknives.com/about-kni...fe-sharpening/
    North Arm Knives also have a link on their website as well on the subject of sharpening https://northarmknives.com/sharpening/?c=e38de74562d1

Do you know that SV Steels originate from India? I suspect that most knife manufacturers are sourcing their steel needs from SV Steels.

As for getting an edge on a knife, that is dependent on blade design. If the blade is a straight V design and not hollow ground, eventually the blade edge angle becomes too acute to get a good edge.

As for filet knives. I have used and continue to use Rapala which I am sure would be up to the challenge and at a far lesser cost.

Like I said previously, "Any knife is only as good as the guy sharpening it." Invest in a good sharpening kit, use it accordingly.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"