Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunt red lake?

Anyone hunt red lake?

I was invited to go up with a a friend of ours and his buddy for a few days this Wednesday, never been there myself but one of the others has been in there. Just curious if anyone has any pointers on the area,where to start, anywhere to not bother with? We'll be up wednessay night to Sunday and have mule,whitetail and bear tags.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunt red lake?

If you are thinking red lake kamloops area? I would bring a boat and fish instead. Live in Kamloops but have never hunted the area. Lots of private property but I am sure there are deer there as I see some on the way too the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillypuff View Post
    If you are thinking red lake kamloops area? I would bring a boat and fish instead. Live in Kamloops but have never hunted the area. Lots of private property but I am sure there are deer there as I see some on the way too the lake.
    We're not going to be right at the lake, we'll be doing a decent drive into wherever it is We're going to camp, as I said i was a last minute invite lol

Great area for deer. Been going up there for last 5 years.
    big buck country forsure. We tagged out last year.

Anyone hunt Red Lake?? Everyone is hunting Red Lake. It is ridiculously busy. There will be camps all over the bush for the first. Drive from Savona to Red in the AM or near dusk and you will pass 20 trucks going in and out. Also the logging of the last good overwintering fir stands in the area is making things worse. And wolves....Good luck.

Theres lots of deer, either head towards Hi Hium (Backside) or Boneparte Plateau, actually another area could be behind Loon Lake north side. Lots of area to hunt.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Theres lots of deer, either head towards Hi Hium (Backside) or Boneparte Plateau, actually another area could be behind Loon Lake north side. Lots of area to hunt.
    I've spent a bunch h of time around loon lake and hi hium but only ever accessed from the cache creek side

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    I've spent a bunch h of time around loon lake and hi hium but only ever accessed from the cache creek side
    The Ainsworth Road connects you back to Loon from Vidette

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Anyone hunt Red Lake?? Everyone is hunting Red Lake. It is ridiculously busy. There will be camps all over the bush for the first. Drive from Savona to Red in the AM or near dusk and you will pass 20 trucks going in and out. Also the logging of the last good overwintering fir stands in the area is making things worse. And wolves....Good luck.
    This is accurate. All of it....do your part with wolves!
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

As others have said, tons of hunters and private property means everyone is hunting the same small tracts of land/roads which means tons of pressure. I have property up there with game cameras year round and number of deer (both mule and whitetails) has reduced drastically over the last 3 to 5 years. In fact, it is getting so dismal that I don't even hunt the area, including my own property and other private properties I have permission on, any more.

3-28/29 as a whole has taken a huge decline in everything but wolves and bears which is unfortunate as it's 10 minutes from my house. I've started traveling else where. I used to see dozens upon dozens of bucks in the early and late seasons in these MUs. Lucky to see 1 or 2 the last few years. 10 to 15 years ago I saw almost 20 different 4-points in a single day in late November. I haven't seen a 4-point now since the last small one I shot 3 or 4 years ago. My hunting buddies and I haven't seen a single buck in these MUs yet this year and can count the # of does on our fingers. I get a long ways off the roads too and no one else hunts my property and still nothing.