Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Used or new? Utv/side by side

Re: Used or new? Utv/side by side

Quote Originally Posted by kosser View Post
    In the market for a side by side. Don’t know if I should fork out the extra money for brand new or a used one. 2015 and newer. Basically know nothing about em. Just came back from my leh hunt and roads were awful. Don’t want to take the truck in the Bush any more. Almost got stuck 10 times. What brand make and model.. thanks to those who reply in advance...
    I bought a brand new Honda Pioneer 500. Put a windshield, roof, winch, LED lights, gun racks and the machine is awesome. With it being only 50 inches wide, it gets me into most places. Got mine for $14K. I was reluctant to buy used as I didn't want one that had been abused and left me deep in the bush someday. I can scout around for the whole day and it uses under $10 gas.

I too bought a Honda Pioneer (750), and love it. Alberta has a ton of SXS for sale (oil/gas crashing). Facebook marketplace seems to be the best venue for finding these machines. Good luck

I bought a 2018 polaris ranger northstar crew out of quebec with 600 miles. Came with tracks and paid 28,500. Was a great deal. Since getting it last september put on 1200 miles and loving it. But i agree, normally i wouldn't buy used. Guess i got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    I bought a brand new Honda Pioneer 500. Put a windshield, roof, winch, LED lights, gun racks and the machine is awesome. With it being only 50 inches wide, it gets me into most places. Got mine for $14K. I was reluctant to buy used as I didn't want one that had been abused and left me deep in the bush someday. I can scout around for the whole day and it uses under $10 gas.
    You happy with 500 or would you go 700 750.

e
    Quote Originally Posted by kosser View Post
    You happy with 500 or would you go 700 750.
    I am very happy with the 500. I only use it for hunting and scouting in non hunting season. The size is perfect for my trailer and the trails. It's not a machine that's designed to tear around the back country at high speed like the Rzr. It suited my application perfectly and with the mods, it makes hunting pretty comfortable.

I’m gonna look at Honda, arctic cat, can am, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I think 500-750 models will be perfect for what il use it for. Trails, scouting, hunting ext.. il put winch on and excessories after. Looked at fb market place and not a lot on there, everyone wants $$$ so il look at new. Only machine that iv heard had issues so far was Polaris. Again thanks to everyone that put in there two cents.

I bought a Kawasaki teryx in 08 brand new. Loved that machine. I flipped it with the mrs going 80km,that wasn’t fun. Only damage to the machine was the box was a right off and the cage got tweaked about 3/4”. I kept it for another couple years using it for hunting and going out with the boys. I sold it almost a year ago and bought a 4 seater teryx as my family has grown. I bought band new again and I plan to have this for 10 yrs or more. Last one lasted me 10 before I upgraded.
    Kawasaki puts out a super reliable machine with enough power to get you where you need to be and they back it with a 3 yr warranty which was another selling feature. I’m super happy with the kawi.
    which ever route you go a winch is 100% Needed as they are heavy machines. 4000lb winch at least. And a full windshield don’t mess around with a half windshield they don’t do anything. I have a super at. Flip up windshield so I can open it if it’s to hot.

Bought a used 09 RZR 800 for an awsome deal almost 7 years ago. Just put close to 1500 kms more on it in 2 weeks moose hunting. I have slowly upgraded things on it out of use more than necessity, and use it mainly for hunting. Shocks and metal doors were the best ones besides some wider wings on the roof. Wider roof really saves the rifles from getting rained on. Carries 2 rifles and a 22 easy, with 2 people. Have packed out multiple deer, bear and moose with it now.
    The narrower frame is the way to go at only 49" wide. Looked at a new ranger yesterday at 65" wide. That thing won't go into 3/4's of the places I was just in on the rzr. We take all sorts of trails, and make easy ones thru the trees on deactivated roads, so it gets us into areas you would have a hard time walking into to pack something out. Ride in part way, walk the rest and walk back to rzr to pack out the animal.
    Had one guy ask us if we ever get close to animals while hunting? We were running it back out, doing about 40 kms/hr on a trail after the morning hunt and it was time for a little bit of fun while out hunting. Stopped to talk to an old goat that was out getting his game cam. I say it like this back. Only 25 ft to a 4 point mullie, about 35 yrds to a moose, but I think that is close enough.

Winch is a must, some fender flares, and back window. (I made one out of plexi bent into the proper shape to go around the snorkel I made). I have found that the more aggressive tires kick up way more mud than a quad and we always used to get muddy. After adding the back plexi we ride in comfort again. I run 1/2 shield up front, and always carry extra 10L of fuel, chain saw, and now extra 100 ft rope, rain gear in a dry bag. Invest in a good rifle scabbard to keep your gear dry. On the trails we can go close to 130 kms on a fuel tank, and that is not always just putting along as we do get some fun in there in the mix, at times you just need some fun.

thanks for the reply, very helpful..

My parents bought a top end 2017 Yamaha Wolverine 700 new. I think it has 200km on it now. I’m planning on buying it when they are done with it in the next 5 or so years. I figure it will have less than 500km on it by then. Does an oil change every 70km sound sound like hard use...?

There are some good ones out there but you need to be looking multiple times a day on Craigslist, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, etc....because if they are low km and a decent price they go real fast.