Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for WT archery?

Any tips for WT archery?

I'm going to try and get a few days off work in the next week or two and head out for WT in 8-12. I don't know much about WT other than getting into a spot before it's light out and waiting. I'm good shooting out to 60 yds but that looks a little long for WT. If you're 40 yards and under, where do you aim? Does it change for does or bucks? How much do you take into account the jumping of the string? I need some meat so if you have honey hole, I won't be upset if you share it

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any tips for WT archery?

If there is snow look for wt tracks find out there travel route to there bedding areas make sure wind is blowing the right direction so they won't smell you
    be there before sunrise and be there just before sunset you might get lucky shot placement behind the shoulder when sideways or quartering away from you at 40 yards or less,,good luck..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Waiting is the most efficient, but I have spot and stalk still hunted to within 60 yards of WT many times so that is possible, depending on wind and ground noise...

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    If you're 40 yards and under, where do you aim? Does it change for does or bucks? How much do you take into account the jumping of the string?
    I mean this in a nice way so please don’t get too upset, but if you are asking these types of questions, I don’t think you’re ready to be hunting live animals with a bow. Take your rifle, or if it’s archery only in the area you are looking at, spend the time off practicing and be ready for next year. Just because you are allowed to use a bow, doesn’t mean you should...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I guess I should be more specific. I know exactly where the kill zone is and I can hit a softball at 60 yards consistently. I see a lot of comments about white tails jumping the string, if you are shooting at them 40 yards or less, are you aiming at the bottom half of the kill zone to take this into account or still shooting at the centre of the kill zone?

Also curious if anyone knows what the snow levels are in the hills around rock creek?

My experience is that the “crouch” when you release can be variable, but more dramatic with whitetail than with mule deer....just what I’ve observed. Not sure if you’re in a tree or not, but if you are, don’t forget to think exit wound more than entrance wound when you aim. Not real specific I know....sorry, again my experience is they crouch more than mules, so at 40 yards this will be a factor....if you’re inside 30, less so depending on bow speed....I’m at about 345fps and account for crouch always, but more so beyond 30.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    My experience is that the “crouch” when you release can be variable, but more dramatic with whitetail than with mule deer....just what I’ve observed. Not sure if you’re in a tree or not, but if you are, don’t forget to think exit wound more than entrance wound when you aim. Not real specific I know....sorry, again my experience is they crouch more than mules, so at 40 yards this will be a factor....if you’re inside 30, less so depending on bow speed....I’m at about 345fps and account for crouch always, but more so beyond 30.
    I'll second the crouch. Had a little basket buck duck the string a couple of years back on a hunt in Montana.
    I was at 40 yards, he was completely broadside, but knew I was there. My shot was a touch higher than it should have been but would have been deadly had the buck not dropped a solid 12 inches at the shot, according to my brother and our guide, who were watching from about 50 yards behind me.

Maybe he didn't actually drop that much, maybe he did.
    All I know for sure is he did duck the shot and I did miss!

In this case, I believe the critical factor was that he was already on alert before I took the shot.

Hope that helps!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I guess I should be more specific. I know exactly where the kill zone is and I can hit a softball at 60 yards consistently. I see a lot of comments about white tails jumping the string, if you are shooting at them 40 yards or less, are you aiming at the bottom half of the kill zone to take this into account or still shooting at the centre of the kill zone?
    Awesome. I hope I didn’t come across as a jerk, I’ve just seen way too many people get in to archery that aren’t ready yet. I’m one of those guys. I’d love to be able to archery hunt, but I have shoulder and elbow injuries that won’t let me be confident in my ability to cleanly kill that way. Best of luck on your hunt. PM me if you want some general area intel...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.