Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Re: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

20 gauge all the way. I went through the whole gambit of 12 vs 20 vs 28 vs .410 this year. 20 is all you need other than 12. Cheaper and much more available ammo, lighter frames than 12, and pretty much zero recoil. What’s not to like?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

So after a lot of looking I ended up with a browning 410. I just ordered it last night, so it should be here by my next days off. After weighing out the options of buying one now and trying to find a bigger stock in a couple years or buying another gun, I decided to get this. It’s a little bit heavy, but it’s a full size receiver. I wanted a 28 gauge, but there’s really nothing suitable out there(in Canada).

So I have one more question. What shot size and choke should I use on this for grouse?

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ro-midas1.html
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    So after a lot of looking I ended up with a browning 410. I just ordered it last night, so it should be here by my next days off. After weighing out the options of buying one now and trying to find a bigger stock in a couple years or buying another gun, I decided to get this. It’s a little bit heavy, but it’s a full size receiver. I wanted a 28 gauge, but there’s really nothing suitable out there(in Canada).

So I have one more question. What shot size and choke should I use on this for grouse?

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ro-midas1.html
    Nice choice. Those little BPS's are nice little gun. Try some 7 1/2 shot in a 2 3/4 or 3" shell and go from there. Start with a modified choke or better yet if you can use a pattern board to start. Get a big piece of cardboard ( 3 feet x 3 feet) and set it up at 20 yds with a small circle drawn in the center. Fire some shells through it with different chokes and see what gives you the best or a good dense pattern. Keep in mind that birds on the ground are usually harder to anchor than birds in the air. let us know how things turn out. Good luck.......................

I would have to go with what I started with. . . Old Doc McCaffery's single 16 gague.

He gave me this when I was a teenager just before he died.

Still my favorite for grouse and bunnies. ��
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Quick update. Our second day out today. My oldest couldn’t make it out, but he loaned his shotgun to his sister for the day.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Awesome can't beat those smiles

Congtats. Well Done. That's what it is all about. Looks like you have a new bird hunter in the family.

A little update. I’ve been out with my oldest a bunch of days(with and without the dog) and he finally got his first bird on the last day of the season. I wasn’t even out today, because I had to work, but his uncle brought him and the dog out. The dog belongs to my brother and he did his job too. Sounds like he found the bird in a tree and pointed it, spooked it to another tree, pointed again and let my boy set up for his shot.

410 100% grouse payed the piper with the old 410 when I was a lad . Mom would haul ass to the chicken coup in the middle of the night and kill coons that were slaying chickens with the 410 and a flashlight more than once as well.

You should probably get both just to be on the safe side.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!