Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Re: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I have a 20 gauge backpacker I’m going to get him to shoot and assess the recoil and go from there. I’m leaning towards 410 or 28 gauge though. I think it will probably come down to what I can find at the local gunshop. I don’t want to order online sight unseen, just in case it doesn’t fit well.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

A 12 gauge with 1 ounce loads has light recoil and a much better pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    sure, but for an 11yr old kid?
    Well a 12 gauge shotgun is heavy and that will be the problem... not the recoil...

I remember firing my dad's 12 gauge model 12 when I was 6 or so... had quite the time holding the barrel up... the recoil was no problem.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Either in a pump platform. My first two years of hunting was with a 410 and it got me geese, ducks and partridge.
    Then up to a 12 gauge due to price of shells.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I have a 20 gauge backpacker I’m going to get him to shoot and assess the recoil and go from there. I’m leaning towards 410 or 28 gauge though. I think it will probably come down to what I can find at the local gunshop. I don’t want to order online sight unseen, just in case it doesn’t fit well.
    I shoot a lot of competitive skeet in all four gauges and I can tell you without question for upland game birds a 28 Ga is hard to beat. I shot a 20 Ga 1100 for many years and brought home a lot of grouse and ducks. It is a great little gauge. I always remember guys I shoot with talking about or praising the 28 Ga. I ended up buying a Remington 1100 sporting in 28 Ga. I took my 28 Ga 1100 up to the Pheasant club and shot 6 birds no problem, all on the wing. They all feel to the ground dead. While the ammunition for the 28 Ga is expensive compared to a 20 Ga, it is comparable in cost to 410 ammo. And if you reload 28 Ga is cheap at about $3 to $4 a box. Another observation I have made over the years is that most shooters first 100 staight is either shot with a 410 or a 28. Either a 20 or 28 in a pump gun or auto would be a great starter gun. If you get a really basic or bottom of the line Remington, you can shorten the stock to fit with a good recoil pad.

I started with my grandfather’s Iver Johnson 410 break action single when I was 8 shooting grouse on the farm. Didn’t take long to get proficient at wing shooting. One of us would throw a rock into the willows and the other would do the shooting. It’s a super light gun and a blast to shoot. My sons are the 4th generation to use this gun which is priceless all on its own
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I shoot a lot of competitive skeet in all four gauges and I can tell you without question for upland game birds a 28 Ga is hard to beat. I shot a 20 Ga 1100 for many years and brought home a lot of grouse and ducks. It is a great little gauge. I always remember guys I shoot with talking about or praising the 28 Ga. I ended up buying a Remington 1100 sporting in 28 Ga. I took my 28 Ga 1100 up to the Pheasant club and shot 6 birds no problem, all on the wing. They all feel to the ground dead. While the ammunition for the 28 Ga is expensive compared to a 20 Ga, it is comparable in cost to 410 ammo. And if you reload 28 Ga is cheap at about $3 to $4 a box. Another observation I have made over the years is that most shooters first 100 staight is either shot with a 410 or a 28. Either a 20 or 28 in a pump gun or auto would be a great starter gun. If you get a really basic or bottom of the line Remington, you can shorten the stock to fit with a good recoil pad.
    I found a 28 gauge Mossberg bantam autoloader at p and d in Edmonton, but it’s a little bit more than I wanted to spend at $750.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

410 all the way. Find a good magnum load, walk towards them and aim for the head. If they fly take them in the air, if not, well they are not called Fool's Hens for no reason.

Sitting in my buddies cabin at Alberta beach reading this post, heading up North of Fort Assinibione tomorrow for a week of hunting white tails and upland game birds. Always blows me away on how many grouse we see and shot. Buddies all shoot 20 gauge, I shoot my 410 wing master 3in pump. #5 or 6 shot modified choke. I've had that gun for many years. Kills grouse out to20_25 yards know problem. Love that little gun! and I always get my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I found a 28 gauge Mossberg bantam autoloader at p and d in Edmonton, but it’s a little bit more than I wanted to spend at $750.
    How does that price compare to the same gun in 410? I know $750 sounds like a lot for a shotgun, but in reality it isn't, especially if the gun is well built. Unfortunately 28 Ga guns are not as common as some of the others. The only reason for this that I can think of is that many are either looking for the cheapest thing they can find, both when it comes to guns and shells. I would suggest you visit your local gun club and see if you can find some one who shoots skeet. If you can try out the different gauges before you buy, then you can determine what works best. I know from a lot of experience shooting skeet, that there are not many people who can truly shoot a 410 well. There is little room for error. For those who do know how to shoot a 410, it is a great little gauge. What concerns me is putting a 410 in the hands of an inexperienced shooter. There is a lot more potential for wounded birds or missed birds. The nice thing about the 28 is it shoots like a 410(lite recoil) and hits like a 20 gauge. Many guys I shoot with have had conversations trying to determine why it is the 28 shoots so well for a small gauge gun. There is just something about the size, balance, and shot column, that make it the perfect little shotgun in my opinion. If you were close to Victoria, I would invite you and your son out to shoot and you could get a feel for the different gauges. Good luck

The wife just gave me clearance for the Mossberg bantam in 28 gauge