Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Re: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Hey Buster
    We bought my niece a MOSSBERG model 510 mini pump in 20guage (yes confusing model/guage) and introduced it to her when she was 11. She quickly earned the nickname "Whiplash" within the waterfowl crew at the time. It took 4-5 days of one on one hunting (in the blind) with just the two of us before she was comfortable toting, mounting and shooting safely. And then ----- watch out the girl was a dead shot! My niece used this shotgun for the next 5 years and has bagged just about every waterfowl available on the foreshore in the LML with it. This includes shooting the ONLY speckle belly our crew has EVER taken home for supper, came in with some Canada's during youth opening 2008/09 season. We upgraded her to a 26" Moss field pump (still 20G) for waterfowling but we cannot pry the mini out of her hands during grouse season. I must mention that my prior to my niece getting the mini pump 20G she was as well versed as a youth of 11 can be in all aspects of firearm safety and the safety concerns inside duck blind (especially with the dog present).
    With our observations of her skill level, safety awareness, physical build, and comfort level with firearms it was
    the right choice for us to start her with the 20G.
    Hope this helps
    Links
    ps she still kills me a the trap meet with that newer pump, shoots 22's regularly
    trying to convince her to try out and compete
    Last edited by Linksman313; 09-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Worst thing you can do is put too much gun in a youngster’s hands. My son started with a .410 single shot and I’m glad he did.
    He shot many grouse and even dropped his first turkey at 20 metres with it.
    He has since graduated to a Mossberg 510 mini in 20 gauge. Great little pump gun.
    Twist and pull.

My first gun was a Savage .22/.410 o/u. I used it on everything that flew but particularly remember hunting grouse with the .410 and plinking with the .22 LR. It was great and I wish I still had it. If you are going to confine your efforts to grouse I think the .410 is fine, but if you are going to broaden your horizons I’d go 20. Then again, a .410 is great to have in the arsenal and if you do hunt ducks or need more gun buying one now gives you a great excuse to buy another gun later. Win-win.

I have never actually shot a 20 gauge, at least to my recollection but I have shot grouse with a 410.

There is no question that a 410 is manageable for youth of any size/strength and it's still very effective for still-target birds.

I am curious about lighter loads through the 20 gauge though. Might be worth looking for some lower velocity ammo with lighter loads like 3/4oz or 7/8oz.

Maybe someone who knows the math can chime in, but with 12ga the difference between say 1 & 3/8oz @ 1400fps and 1 & 1/8 & 1200fps seems significant to me, but in sound and recoil. I speculate with a 20ga if you were to combine lower velocity, lighter payload and heavier gun that 20ga could be quite manageable in the hands of a young. Speculation aside maybe someone with first hand knowledge could speak to that.

Could be worth having him test out a 20 gauge with lighter loads just to see the comfort level. The 20 gauge is definitely more versatile as it would be effective for larger game and shooting birds out of the air down the road (like in the future, not literally out of the air down the road... err... well... maybe if it is safe and legal LOL)

That said, if you're good with graduating him to a 20 gauge a few years down the road anyway, get the 410 now and 20 gauge in a couple years! He didn't pay me to say that, I swear

You did mention proficiency as well. The 410 would be a little more difficult. That might not be a bad thing though. I am sure with some practice he will have it dialed in... and then imagine how much better he will be with the 20ga.

I vaguely recall the 410 I used many years ago having iron sights too... that would probably make things easier since it would likely be for still targets anyway.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-28-2020 at 11:45 PM.

A .410 is an experts gun... it take a lot of practice and skill to hit any flying object consistently.

A 20 gauge with light loads has light recoil and a better pattern.

A 12 gauge with 1 ounce loads has light recoil and a much better pattern.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I grew up using a Mossberg bolt action .410 for grouse and I still have it to this day, all of my brothers kids as well as my 2 kids used it, excellent for grouse.

We also have the matching 20 gauge but it never got used, always the .410.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    A .410 is an experts gun... it take a lot of practice and skill to hit any flying object consistently.

A 20 gauge with light loads has light recoil and a better pattern.

A 12 gauge with 1 ounce loads has light recoil and a much better pattern.
    sure, but for an 11yr old kid?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Tod they grow em big down here these days .
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    20 ga. 7/8 oz @ 1200+ vs 12 ga. 1 oz. @ ~1100 -ish ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

My first gun for my 10th birthday was a baikal single 20 gauge, its still my favorite grouse gun. My son started with a 410 single at 10 the next year he used the 20.