Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Re: 20gauge or .410 for first shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    The wife just gave me clearance for the Mossberg bantam in 28 gauge
    Really hope you enjoy it. In my mind its a great choice. Make sure you consult some one in the know about fitting the gun to your son. makes all the difference in the world to get them off on the right start. Proper length of pull, proper comb height. Then get out and break some clay targets. I don't think you will be disappointed. let me know how you make out. Good luck

The wife just gave me clearance for the Mossberg bantam in 28 gauge
    Access granted!

Level 3 complete.

New item, "28 gauge" unlocked.

Save and Continue?

28 gauge all the way . only problem is ammo a little tough to find .
    my sons both shot when they were 10 no issues ....
    And That Is That

28 gauge and no ammo to shoot. Sounds like a positive start.
    I thought the choices were between 410 and 20? Phone 10 gun stores and see if they have 28 gauge ammo, and how much it is.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

28 ga ammo is not that hard to get hold of. I shoot lots of it, and it not harder to get or any more expensive than 410. The 410 advocates on this site seem to be using 3 inch shells in their guns. A 3 inch 410 shell is 11/16 of an ounce. By comparison a 28 ga shell is 12/16 or 3/4 of an ounce. So maybe a bunch of the 410 proponents are actually closet 28 ga fans and just don't know it. Either way the 28 ga is one great little shotgun gauge. If the original Op of this post has trouble getting 28 ga ammo, he can contact me and I will steer him in the right direction.

I tried ordering the 28 Mossberg from p and d, but it’s sold out. I’ll try and find another retailer, but they seem hard to come by. I’m heading moose hunting for a few more days tomorrow morning, so searching will have to wait.

I checked our local shop and they have a few options for 28 gauge ammo, so that shouldn’t be a problem. It is expensive to shoot though.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I tried ordering the 28 Mossberg from p and d, but it’s sold out. I’ll try and find another retailer, but they seem hard to come by. I’m heading moose hunting for a few more days tomorrow morning, so searching will have to wait.

I checked our local shop and they have a few options for 28 gauge ammo, so that shouldn’t be a problem. It is expensive to shoot though.
    Good luck with your search. Its a little more money but take a look at a Remington 1100 Sporting in 28 Ga. Great little gun. As for ammo. You can buy a flat of Winchester HS Sporting # 7 1/2 for $125 plus tax at Italian Sporting goods in Vancouver. If you decide to go this route save the sales receipt and the UPC code of each box of shells. Every May thru September Winchester runs a rebate program. All you do is download the rebate form, fill it out, include the 10 upc code patches and sales receipt and send it in. Winchester will send you back a check for $20 US funds. So your $ 140.00 Canadian flat of shells minus the $20 US rebate ($30 Canadian) just became a $110 flat of shells. So $11 a box. That is not very expensive for shells. Good luck and look forward to hearing from you

Agree with VLD43 28 gauge is really tough to beat. I have several and my favourite is the weatherby 08,as good as a benelli but 1/3 price.I shot both 20 and 28 in Argentina on doves (7000) and the 28 was far nicer , but hit just as hard. For a youngster would be great. Now I see that Benelli makes a 3' 28 g. hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Agree with VLD43 28 gauge is really tough to beat. I have several and my favourite is the weatherby 08,as good as a benelli but 1/3 price.I shot both 20 and 28 in Argentina on doves (7000) and the 28 was far nicer , but hit just as hard. For a youngster would be great. Now I see that Benelli makes a 3' 28 g. hmmmm...
    OH NO! A guy can never have to many smooth bores. BENELLI?

Go for the 20 gauge, not much difference in weight and recoil ( my grandson has both) and as stated ammo is cheaper and you can get the birds farther out. Over under with 1 barrel choked down for rabbits and 1 opened up for grouse in the air.