Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: presto log for woodstove

presto log for woodstove

thinkin of bringing some presto logs for the morning fire i know my stove wont burn all night in the morning I would like to throw on a presto log and a piece of fir or birch and go back to bed toll the kettle heats can play with kindling etc at the evening but dont want the hassle in the a.m. might keerp me up and awake any thoughts

2. Site Sponsor

Re: presto log for woodstove

Have you thought of just bringing along some liquid barbeque starter and giving it some more wood, a squirt of starter closing the door and jumping back in the sack? Most effective way I have seen with getting morning fires going without being smoked out of the tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

another option thnx

Those fire starter sticks or cubes work well like the fluid Bob mentioned.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I use a mr buddy heater to take the chill off my wall tent in the morning. It only takes a few minutes to get it reasonably warm. I have it set up right next to my cot so I can flash it up without getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I use a mr buddy heater to take the chill off my wall tent in the morning. It only takes a few minutes to get it reasonably warm. I have it set up right next to my cot so I can flash it up without getting out.
    I do the same thing

I reserve my best firewood for sleeping, load it full and most times it will last close to morning....but when it's -30 I bring along the big buddy heater and keep it beside the cot, quickly takes the edge off until you get fire going
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

On our most recent trip we picked up some of those logs we used one of those logs plus a chunk of hardwood we packed in and had hot coals in the morning. I always pack the white lighter cubes on my trips and works really well. The local would on our trip created a pile of creosote.

I too vouch for a Mr Buddy or a Big Buddy heater for flash heating in the morning until you get the fire going or dressed and out the door. The thing about getting a fire going is I'm don't feel comfortable leaving again until it has died out.

Another option I'll share is I use a Weed Dragon. Attach it to the propane tank, point it in the fire box and give 'er hell. Literally. I find this works really well getting the draft going.

I have a small Coleman stove to make coffee inside the wall tent in the AM and I find just that burner takes the chill off. As for the wood stove if someone wakes up in the night, they just throw a log on. And usually the stove is still nice and warm by wake up time

I find that depending on the wood available I may have to reload the stove in the early am. I take presto logs or the like with me and really like them for the am or if I want mild warmth for an extended period of time without having to watch over the stove.