Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding a name for my Chesapeake Bay Retiever.

Re: Deciding a name for my Chesapeake Bay Retiever.

Have you started to introduce the process to not being gun shy yet?

I started right away right after I got my griffon puppy. Started off by popping Amazon packaging bubbles while she was eating her meals and playing, then graduated to gun shot noises from my desk top computer starting at a low level and gradually increasing the volume, then I added in a 20 ga. at about 3 months of age fired a hundred yards or so away, then gradually getting closer all the time, all the while letting her play and search. Maybe a .22 later on which are noisier than most shotguns.

The last thing you want to do is getting them anywhere near a trap range even from a distance. It's too much noise at one time, IMHO. Seen and heard of some bird dogs becoming gun shy because of that.

Have fun with your pup. Training can start at any time. Just keep the sessions short and make them fun. Get some fresh dead or frozen birds for drags, blind searches, and retrieving practice. If you plan on FF'ing your dog I'd wait until after the hunting season is over. Give her her first year,,,,,no pressure. And post some pics! Haha

Change 'Canadian Edition' to 'Canuk' for 35
    then Nukle Head rolls off the tongue nice
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

What about "Red"?