Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lodestone lake

Re: Lodestone lake

The "area" does give up deer, bear, elk....

But.... you need to remember that there are hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers or roads, never mind the trails.

You can go in off the Coq and come out at Coalmont or Tulameen.

Huge area, all ages of clear cuts....

In some areas, I do believe that the CO's put in traffic lights (rabbit Mountain), that is how much traffic it gets, same with Lodestone Lake, huge draw for the quads, usually non hunters.

Try doing it like us old guys had to do it, go for a drive and hit any/all FSR's that you see, look for sign, glass and drive.

But first off make sure you know how to hunt. I have sent and taken people over the years up where i go, they end up seeing nothing, while I have seen several animals. Make sure you know how to spot pieces of deer, rarely will you see the whole deer.

One thing to remember is if you do go up there and get into the back country, the weather does come in real fast, watch it as you can get into trouble fast. A few times we have gone to bed and the temp was high teens, t-shirt weather, only to wake up with 18" of snow.

I will be up there several times over the next 6 weeks, probably could be I won't see one of you!

The area is very good at the right times of fall. Get to the backside of cuts not seen from road. Find sign. Sit and watch.

If you can swing it weekdays are less busy. Recent trip report was lots of deer moving. 72 deer in 3 days, 60 being does/fawns, 12 bucks varying in size. With the temps dropping this weekend should only get better. If your looking for a mule deer buck get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    If you can swing it weekdays are less busy. Recent trip report was lots of deer moving. 72 deer in 3 days, 60 being does/fawns, 12 bucks varying in size. With the temps dropping this weekend should only get better. If your looking for a mule deer buck get out there!
    So how many bucks were shot?

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    This will be the first Thanksgiving Weekend in @ 10 years that we won't be up at the Tulameen cabin fighting the hordes.
    Was really hoping to take the Grand Girl out Grouse hunting but COVID has nixed that.
    On the other hand, will head up Weds. and spend a few days in the hills with the Son.

So? How did things work out for Lodestone lake area hunters?

Petros65 Guest

Spent the last 3 weekends up that area ---- traffic anyone (at times it was like the highway ---- and everyone is grumpy, cause you know its their spot not yours) , yup if you looking for hunting pressure it's the ideal spot. The animals have become nocturnal.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    So? How did things work out for Lodestone lake area hunters?
    Son got a nice buck on Friday in that area.
    He's got one the last 3 years, same place, pretty well same date, same everything.
    He managed over the years to track a small herd that seems to stay in the area and circles around, the latest one was maybe 200 yards from where he figured it would be.

It's a great area with lots of deer, but everyone is right it's downright crowded there.

Try getting into places vehicles can't access. I haven't been there for a few years but North of otter Lake there was a big burn a few years back. Might be worth checking out now if it's grown up a bit

any info on moose in the area? We have LEH for 805 for any moose. I typically hunt up north but agreed to put in for the area with an older friend, a new hunter and my son, primarily due to ability how little time can be taken off school and work. any suggestions would be appreciated...PM if you prefer.

thanks in advance!