Thread: The deer you don't see... until you look at what you filmed later on?

The deer you don't see... until you look at what you filmed later on?

Here's a funny.

After I posted up our bow hunt video a few weeks ago and watched it a day or two later, I noticed that when I first bump into the doe in the timber that was between me and the 3pt, I see something to her left. Damn it looks like another buck... *crop* ... *zoom* crap, it is LOL

I can't believe I missed this fork during that first stand off in the timber. I was kind of wondering what happened to fork buck that we had seen hanging around for a few weeks prior. I guess was too focused on the doe that was a bit more exposed and trying to put on an act to convince her I was not a threat. I guess I had more of an audience during my act than I thought. Also didn't catch it while I was editing the video (fair enough I guess... the preview screen is small) but I watched the video at least twice before posting it on YouTube and STILL didn't spot it.

I'm not sure where he ended up going after that. Ran into her again and took the 3x3 but no idea where he was during the whole ordeal. I bet he was still close by. Makes me want to look through more of the leftover raw footage. I guess the lesson is when you think you are moving slow enough and looking hard enough to look even harder and move even slower.

Anyone have any similar stories of when you think you searched the area like Sherlock Holmes and then... surprise?

Here's a cropped / zoomed in shot from the still frame

And the original still-frame

Last edited by caddisguy; 09-24-2020 at 10:10 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The deer you don't see... until you look at what you filmed later on?

It always makes me wonder
    how much wildlife I’m blissfully unaware of as I trample by

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    It definitely makes me want to go over more video. I spotted a bear up over the next ridge from me on the first half of the stalk that I wouldn't have made out if I wasn't resting and carefully scanning for the next route to move. It was perfectly still looking away down the next hill over. It was a fluke I saw it. Blended in so well. It was only the ears pointing up that registered it and that was a good 60 yards away. And I thought that was game over. I had to detour around a bit but couldn't feasible get too far, pretty much had to walk right past just down hill a little and the bear didn't even make a peep. I figured it was going to spook and crash through the timber like a freight train.

Just another example of how easy to miss stuff can be in the timber. Things can blend in so much and animals and stay so still and quiet while you pass by. Sometimes you see things that aren't really there and sometimes miss things that are there. And with every step comes a different angle and sight picture of all of your surroundings. A couple weeks ago I could have swore I saw a cougar but it was a log and a few sticks. Go figure
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-25-2020 at 12:34 AM.

My daughter and I had a similar occurrence during the youth hunt. We drove into a clear cut that is cut on both side of the road. She looks to the right and I look to left. We crept very slowly down the road until the turn around at the end of the cut. I turn the truck around and proceed a little further to a spot where we can glass pretty much the whole cut. As we are glassing the cut I say to my daughter "We are being watched". There was a muley doe watching us from about 100 yards away. She was so well hidden with a log in front of her and deadfall behind. and she did not move. If we did not stop and glass we would have not seen her at all. I had a hunting partner that stated for every 1 deer you see, there are 10 that you do not. My guess is that number is probably higher.

Quote Originally Posted by jan.wi97 View Post
    Yes I think we'd all be surprised of what we don't see.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo