Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Mile Road Privately owned road section

98 Mile Road Privately owned road section

Just curious if anyone Else has had any bad experiences with the Landowners that own the 1km stretch of the 98 mile road At Wonowon at 5km. They have chased numerous hunters out of the areas in previous years and im just curious if their tactics have escalated or maybe the government finally bought the land off of them. Some pretty scary stories of threats and messages left at camps just wondering if they were true we were thinking of trying the place out for the bow season. Never had such an opportunity for a good area turn into a bow only zone for the rut.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 98 Mile Road Privately owned road section

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufortranger View Post
    Just curious if anyone Else has had any bad experiences with the Landowners that own the 1km stretch of the 98 mile road At Wonowon at 5km. They have chased numerous hunters out of the areas in previous years and im just curious if their tactics have escalated or maybe the government finally bought the land off of them. Some pretty scary stories of threats and messages left at camps just wondering if they were true we were thinking of trying the place out for the bow season. Never had such an opportunity for a good area turn into a bow only zone for the rut.
    Maybe I'm not understanding this poster's question. Why would anyone be hunting on private land without permission and then get their knickers in a knot for being chassed off? There's only one answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding this poster's question. Why would anyone be hunting on private land without permission and then get their knickers in a knot for being chassed off? There's only one answer to that question.
    Sounds like there’s 1km of who’s knows how long of a road that is owned by somebody. Guess you have to drive on that part of road to access the rest of the road

Exactly the case. Theres a 1km section of road that splits the property and they report it to the police everytime you cross it and it seems so strange when u hear the story. Buddy who was hunting farther down the mainline said they had a few discussions with the owner and his family and they were pretty aggressive. Totally understand if they are liable for the people crossing just confused how a situation like that could go on so long without a resolution. Just because of it an entire hunting area is unavailable to law abiding hunters.

There is a small area around Lemon lk in Horsefly like that. Apparent owner or ranch hand always chasing people down

My understanding is and I'm no lawyer so take it for what it's worth.If it's not a legal right of way which was granted by the property owner they can control it. They do not have to allow anyone on the portion of the road they own no matter what is past it.

I'm familiar with a road up by Loon Lake (Cache Creek) that's mostly private. Properties tend to be rectangular and roads follow contour lines so the FSR wanders on and off a ranch. At one point the owner gated the road because of yahoos chasing the cattle. Logging companies may come to an agreement with the rancher to use the road but that doesn't make it public.

The province doesn't care and doesn't want to get involved. Any company with logging or mining rights has to sort out the access.

I’m familiar with the M98 road, having driven all 39km’s of it probably at least 400 times personally and in a professional capacity for work. There are zero sections of that road that are privately owned. There is a legal right of way for its entirety. The land at 5-6km is privately held property on each side of the road but the road itself is not privately owned. I believe (and I could be incorrect onthis aspect now as its been a year or so since I’ve dealt with road use there) but I think CNRL holds the road permit for the road.

That said, the land owner there IS difficult to deal with and has a beef with industrial traffic driving “too fast and making dust” for several years and I can remember at least two instances of them illegally blocking industrial traffic where the RCMP were called and they had the road block taken down within an hour or two. I seem to also recall at least one instance where tensions were heated during the block, and the RCMP attended very promptly but I don’t recall if there were charges involved or not, and I want to say that log trucks were being let through but tankers were being stopped with an excavator. I don’t completely remember what happened there as my guys were being let through but it was a cluster because the road is pretty narrow and has soft shoulders and there isn’t many places to pass two heavies if it isn’t right at a pullout.

Fairly certain I myself wouldn’t be hunting the fringes of that private property too closely.

No one can stop you from driving on it, no one can stop you from traveling along it.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 09-27-2020 at 04:35 AM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Dog View Post
    I'm familiar with a road up by Loon Lake (Cache Creek) that's mostly private. Properties tend to be rectangular and roads follow contour lines so the FSR wanders on and off a ranch. At one point the owner gated the road because of yahoos chasing the cattle. Logging companies may come to an agreement with the rancher to use the road but that doesn't make it public.

The province doesn't care and doesn't want to get involved. Any company with logging or mining rights has to sort out the access.
    This stretch of road has been an issue for a few years where the rancher would lock the gate for the simple reason to keep ass hats out that were openly camping on his posted private property, chasing his cattle with bikes, the locals and law abiding folks can’t use the road.

Some locals challenged it with a lawyer in court and quickly found out the rancher in this case has the right to shut the road down.

So a few knott heads ruining a good thing for all, thank fully the rancher has reopened the gate.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    This stretch of road has been an issue for a few years where the rancher would lock the gate for the simple reason to keep ass hats out that were openly camping on his posted private property, chasing his cattle with bikes, the locals and law abiding folks can’t use the road.

Some locals challenged it with a lawyer in court and quickly found out the rancher in this case has the right to shut the road down.

So a few knott heads ruining a good thing for all, thank fully the rancher has reopened the gate.
    Where did you get this info from and which locals are you talking about?