Thread: Warm weather Mullies

Warm weather Mullies

Hey all, heading up to 5-2 in a couple weeks. Looks like the weather will be 15-18 degrees and sunny during the day and down to about 6-7 at night. I haven’t hunted mullies in this warm of weather before. I assume they will be bedding down in the thick stuff during the day? Best opportunity is going to be first light? The area we’re going is relatively flat around 1000m elevation, there’s a couple ‘mountains’ or hills around that go up to 1500m. Do you think they’ll be staying in higher elevations with the warm weather? I’ve only been hunting a couple years so not too much experience. Trying to get boots on the ground as much as possible. Any thoughts and advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Warm weather Mullies

I’ve taken my last two bucks in the afternoon, one year it was 15 degrees and last year it was 17 and both were somewhat high. What area are you going? Those two deer were taken up by Mt. Timothy area.

Last year I was up in the alpine at the tree line and saw a small herd of deer run across a bare hill about a kilometre away. It was a blistering hot Sept. summer day, at least 25 if not 28 degrees in the sun. One buck walked into the middle of a bare gravel scree about 2 km away from us and lay down in the sun and went to sleep.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-25-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks for the reply’s. so them seem to keep moving even in the heat. Don’t think I’ll make it up in the alpine. Nothing where I’m going is up in the alpine really. Won’t be backpacking but can do some hiking.

If you can wade thru scholarspeak here is some of the habits of Muleys

http://www.sgrc.selkirk.ca/bioatlas/...h_Columbia.pdf

I have hunted a lot in 5-2 over the years. This time of year I have found a surprising number of mulie bucks hanging in/along the edges of small meadows where there is a water source nearby. I have often spotted them bedded along the edge in a shady area, but it takes some glassing. Most of the hunters just seem to drive the logging roads and hope to catch a buck out in a logging block. A lot depends on where you are going in 5-2 as the terrain actually varies a fair amount.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Last year I was up in he alpine at the tree line and saw a small herd of deer run across a bare hill about a kilometre away. It was a blistering hot Sept. summer day, at least 25 if not 28 degrees in the sun. One buck walked into the middle of a bare gravel scree about 2 km away from us and lay down in the sun and went to sleep.
    Ive seen it as well. Not this year. This year by the time the opener rolled around the alpine grass had already turned pretty yellowish and they seemed to be bedding down in the subalpine and in the timber more so than up top. I even went to check out some well used beds from last year and they hadn't been used in a while.

They seemed to be more in the trees. It seems more related to how DRY the year has been rather than how WARM

So maybe with the warm/wet weather the vegetation will be doing well up high? I’ll read that link too. Thanks!