Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

yes, HC is harbour chandlers in nanaimo - i cannot think of a better customer service company

no, i have no affiliation with them.........

reel creep not an issue

parts broken off inside reel was problem

i will drop this year's 'problem' reel off next time i am on the island

i really wished they worked out because the 'sound' when that smiley is running is second to none.............woooooooooo

chris

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    yes, HC is harbour chandlers in nanaimo - i cannot think of a better customer service company

no, i have no affiliation with them.........

reel creep not an issue

parts broken off inside reel was problem

i will drop this year's 'problem' reel off next time i am on the island

i really wished they worked out because the 'sound' when that smiley is running is second to none.............woooooooooo

chris
    Appreciate the time and info thanks.
    So, what is the know issue with them again??
    Just want to be informed "When it comes time to send in".

Not sure how Berrys will be if reel becomes issue???
    They have been around forever, so thats a good sign.
    However, i was there when i fella had a broken guide from daiwa mooching rod recently purchased and they wouldnt help him, as
    "guides arent covered".
    So, he has to go home, snap the rod, then go back!
    So, i found that a little concerning but i get it as a retailer, there are folks that take advantage wherever they can.
    Just wondering if it is wearing on mr.berry himself??

But again, i just want to know what the internal issue is that i need to be aware of.
    As for the drag system, it does not look like "carbon" and certainly aint cork!.
    Looks like some sort of red/pink rubber composite??

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    I switched to them last year from Trophy's and have very much enjoyed them. Have about 3 or 4 other buddies that have them as well and no complaints; the carbon drag is very nice as when fishing deep there is absolutely zero creep on them.
    Yup, i am hearing the same from pacific anglers and berrys on the amundson, fyi, to anyone looking.
    I was given a deal on an amundson, but i think it was still goiing to be around 350.00
    I only paid 400 for the reel and rod.
    Think the reel was on sale at other places for 299 (100 off) and the rod is usually around 180.00.
    Thats why i took the rod reel combo (budget concerns)

I just thought Abu would be a good choice as they had been around forever.
    Thinking i might be wrong when it comes to their centerpins anyways.

But yes, amundson seems like it has good reviews from the retailers, so if anyone is looking, it is a good choice,

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yup, i am hearing the same from pacific anglers and berrys on the amundson, fyi, to anyone looking.
    I was given a deal on an amundson, but i think it was still goiing to be around 350.00
    I only paid 400 for the reel and rod.
    Think the reel was on sale at other places for 299 (100 off) and the rod is usually around 180.00.
    Thats why i took the rod reel combo (budget concerns)

I just thought Abu would be a good choice as they had been around forever.
    Thinking i might be wrong when it comes to their centerpins anyways.

But yes, amundson seems like it has good reviews from the retailers, so if anyone is looking, it is a good choice,
    You can actually get great rods that have been around the past couple of years (or at least since I heard of them) for about $80.00. I run Technium's but a buddy at Pac Net and Twine suggested Kufa rods for a few of my buddies who were looking. They've turned out to be very good with great action on them. He used to sell them to lodges quite a bit but know a number of people that have used and recommend them and they are easy on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    The whole idea behind a drag or clutch system is prevent line break. When using a Single pin reel like you are talking about, using your hand to apply more resistance when a fish runs is how they operate. So the biggest concern is how well and how smooth the drag system operates under harsh conditions. If you want a reel that is built for offshore use and money is not a concern look at Tibors, otherwise it is hard to beat a shimano. I fished both Shimano 2000's and Islanders reels for over 20 years, and if I had to chose, it would be Shimano ever time. Shimano's are great value for the money and very reliable in my opinion.
    appreciate the advice on hand drag and understand what you are saying (i flyfish a lot, so i get it)
    I was just concerned about the creep or if there was an issue when on a down rigger.
    Reason being, i talked to a few folks at some of the retailers (and they didnt know much about the Abu's but did look over they reel i had when i had line
    put on).
    They felt is sounded good and was smooth and drag was decent etc.

But, the biggest concern (other then reliablity) on reels is the drag system when on a downrigger.
    Sounds like some reels have some issues with that, and even the islanders had that issue (so pay big bucks, but still not better off), so they came out
    with the new version to deal with that.

The abu is just short of the amundson on drag and both are weaker then the islander mr3's, fyi, from me testing them all at once together.

The Luhr legacy i wanted to origianlly purchase for cheap seems to have been the older version, and i am hearing there were a lot of issues with
    things like reel creep.
    I think they have come out with a new version, so hard to say if it is better now?

That is the issue often times.
    A reel comes out, and issues develop with some, and word gets around, and then everyone passes on the same info.
    Then when the product, example the new LJ legacy comes out, you dont know if someone is sharing product review of the new version, or
    of the previous old version.

Same thing with the Islanders going from some issues with the 2's and now to the 3's.

but yes, no reviews really of the abu at all.
    Only Whognu's , which i do appreciate.
    So it shows it isnt a common product out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    appreciate the advice on hand drag and understand what you are saying (i flyfish a lot, so i get it)
    I was just concerned about the creep or if there was an issue when on a down rigger.
    Reason being, i talked to a few folks at some of the retailers (and they didnt know much about the Abu's but did look over they reel i had when i had line
    put on).
    They felt is sounded good and was smooth and drag was decent etc.

But, the biggest concern (other then reliablity) on reels is the drag system when on a downrigger.
    Sounds like some reels have some issues with that, and even the islanders had that issue (so pay big bucks, but still not better off), so they came out
    with the new version to deal with that.

The abu is just short of the amundson on drag and both are weaker then the islander mr3's, fyi, from me testing them all at once together.

The Luhr legacy i wanted to origianlly purchase for cheap seems to have been the older version, and i am hearing there were a lot of issues with
    things like reel creep.
    I think they have come out with a new version, so hard to say if it is better now?

That is the issue often times.
    A reel comes out, and issues develop with some, and word gets around, and then everyone passes on the same info.
    Then when the product, example the new LJ legacy comes out, you dont know if someone is sharing product review of the new version, or
    of the previous old version.

Same thing with the Islanders going from some issues with the 2's and now to the 3's.

but yes, no reviews really of the abu at all.
    Only Whognu's , which i do appreciate.
    So it shows it isnt a common product out there.
    I know what you are talking about regarding creep. With the Shimano's I do not recall it being an issue, although I used to carry clutch rebuild kits in my boat. With the Islander MR2's you had to apply neats foot oil to the cork inside the reel. Another thing I did at the time was to add an additional washer under the screw or centre pin on the reel. That fixed the creep issue permanently. I mentioned my fix to the Islander Rep at a Sportsman show one year. He was quite interested and thanked me for the info. Good luck