Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

I have been trying to look up for reviews on this reel from Abu Garcia.
    (who knows who really produces them???)
    Was looking at the Luhr Jensen at Berrys as they had a bunch come in for cheap (old model) and they
    were trying to make a quick buck, but anyways, they sold out of them and don't normally carry them.

So, they had a combo package, 10'6" Mooching Rod and Reel, both were Diplomat from Abu Garcia.

Just wondering if anyone has one or used one.
    Mostly wondering about "Reel Creep" when on a Downrigger.
    And any other comments "if you used them".

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i (sadly) bought 3 diplomats at the 2016 boat show from harbour chandler

i believe this was the first year of production (my mistake)

i bought them because A) too cheap to buy islanders and B) too cheap to buy islanders C) they look cool, they sound great and the thumb drag is awesome

year one, one locks up - internal problemo - they fixed and it worked for a while........then HC replaced it with a new one (known problem)

year 2 a different one goes silent, no click, no drag HC replaced it with a new one

this year some more 'odd' sounds emanating from the reel

when they work they really are awesome............

next time in nanaimo i will have to visit HC............pay once cry once comes to mind............

overall the reels are a big disappointment, yet HC is unbelievable in their customer service

good luck

ps. maybe 20 fishing days before they started breaking

Your best bet bar none in my opinion are shimano mooching reels. I have used Islanders for a number of years, and although they are shiny and look good, they have nothing on good old shimano's.

I prefer the Daiwa M One to the Shimano 4000 and agree that there are better options to the Islanders. I’ve heard excellent first hand reviews of the Amundsen reels... but haven’t used one. Stay away from Trophy’s unless you love dealing with birds nests.

Yes, I heard that Trophy's are to "avoid" and it was from a retailer telling me and they sell them.
    Actually, Amundson I hear are doing well and are recommended.
    Islanders are good reels, and I think the "3" series was to help with reel creep on downriggers.
    But yes, big bucks and I am not a Guide or someone out there everyday for the entire season, otherwise it would be a no brainer.
    But yes, I have used both Daiwa and Shimano that is being mentioned, although they belong to the fella I was fishing with and
    who has the boat (Nanaimo, but we hit Parksville or Port Renfrew).
    Thing is, I don't like using other folks gear (if something breaks) even if my trips are limited.

I do wish I could compare the Drag when fully tightened on either the Daiwa or Shimano that is spooled in comparison to the
    Abu, but I don't have a friend here with gear.

I am just curious about the 15 pounds (what specs say) of drag that the Abu is supposedly capable of?
    Because I just got the reel spooled, set the drag to "damn tight", and I still can get the line to "pull out".
    Think my buddy's (either its Daiwa or Shimanos mentioned here), when the drag is tightened up, it is impossible to "pull line".

Cant say for sure as I wasn't paying that close attention to it, just tightened as much as I needed so the lines would creep on
    downrigger, but wasn't checking to see if I could still "hand pull" out line???

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i (sadly) bought 3 diplomats at the 2016 boat show from harbour chandler

i believe this was the first year of production (my mistake)

i bought them because A) too cheap to buy islanders and B) too cheap to buy islanders C) they look cool, they sound great and the thumb drag is awesome

year one, one locks up - internal problemo - they fixed and it worked for a while........then HC replaced it with a new one (known problem)

year 2 a different one goes silent, no click, no drag HC replaced it with a new one

this year some more 'odd' sounds emanating from the reel

when they work they really are awesome............

next time in nanaimo i will have to visit HC............pay once cry once comes to mind............

overall the reels are a big disappointment, yet HC is unbelievable in their customer service

good luck

ps. maybe 20 fishing days before they started breaking

Who is HC??? (just wondering)
    As I said, Berrys doesn't normally sell them, but brought a pair of combos in for whatever reason.
    Rod looks fine, feels about right when flexing it etc (Heavy/Med), so I aint worried about it.

As for the Abuv Reel, did it tighten up enough not to get "reel creep on downrigger" (assuming you fish with downrigs?)???

Also, was the "lock up" due to trying to tighten the drag down as far as it could go??
    I know I did just that, tighten the drag as far as I could, and then suddenly couldn't get the drag to "loosen".
    Had to take a screw driver, loosen the screw just slightly, then the drag cam free and tighten screw again.
    (Hey, if it is going to break, I might as well put it to the test right away)

Was intending to hit the mouth of Fraser with another friend, that's why I got the rod/reel, but then those plans didn't happen.
    So yes, got a lot of time to "wait til next season/summer" before I can find out if I am going to have issues or if it was an
    okay purchase for the price.
    I have Level wind Abu Ambassadors for the river, and its been great for years now, so I thought I was going to be okay.

The whole idea behind a drag or clutch system is prevent line break. When using a Single pin reel like you are talking about, using your hand to apply more resistance when a fish runs is how they operate. So the biggest concern is how well and how smooth the drag system operates under harsh conditions. If you want a reel that is built for offshore use and money is not a concern look at Tibors, otherwise it is hard to beat a shimano. I fished both Shimano 2000's and Islanders reels for over 20 years, and if I had to chose, it would be Shimano ever time. Shimano's are great value for the money and very reliable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Who is HC??? (just wondering)
    Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Actually, Amundson I hear are doing well and are recommended.
    I switched to them last year from Trophy's and have very much enjoyed them. Have about 3 or 4 other buddies that have them as well and no complaints; the carbon drag is very nice as when fishing deep there is absolutely zero creep on them.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 09-24-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Had Shimano's then upgraded to Trophy's now have islanders.Love the islanders buy once cry once.