Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,677

    Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    I have been trying to look up for reviews on this reel from Abu Garcia.
    (who knows who really produces them???)
    Was looking at the Luhr Jensen at Berrys as they had a bunch come in for cheap (old model) and they
    were trying to make a quick buck, but anyways, they sold out of them and don't normally carry them.

    So, they had a combo package, 10'6" Mooching Rod and Reel, both were Diplomat from Abu Garcia.

    Just wondering if anyone has one or used one.
    Mostly wondering about "Reel Creep" when on a Downrigger.
    And any other comments "if you used them".

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    410

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i (sadly) bought 3 diplomats at the 2016 boat show from harbour chandler

    i believe this was the first year of production (my mistake)


    i bought them because A) too cheap to buy islanders and B) too cheap to buy islanders C) they look cool, they sound great and the thumb drag is awesome

    year one, one locks up - internal problemo - they fixed and it worked for a while........then HC replaced it with a new one (known problem)

    year 2 a different one goes silent, no click, no drag HC replaced it with a new one

    this year some more 'odd' sounds emanating from the reel

    when they work they really are awesome............

    next time in nanaimo i will have to visit HC............pay once cry once comes to mind............

    overall the reels are a big disappointment, yet HC is unbelievable in their customer service

    good luck

    ps. maybe 20 fishing days before they started breaking

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Your best bet bar none in my opinion are shimano mooching reels. I have used Islanders for a number of years, and although they are shiny and look good, they have nothing on good old shimano's.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,677

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i (sadly) bought 3 diplomats at the 2016 boat show from harbour chandler

    i believe this was the first year of production (my mistake)


    i bought them because A) too cheap to buy islanders and B) too cheap to buy islanders C) they look cool, they sound great and the thumb drag is awesome

    year one, one locks up - internal problemo - they fixed and it worked for a while........then HC replaced it with a new one (known problem)

    year 2 a different one goes silent, no click, no drag HC replaced it with a new one

    this year some more 'odd' sounds emanating from the reel

    when they work they really are awesome............

    next time in nanaimo i will have to visit HC............pay once cry once comes to mind............

    overall the reels are a big disappointment, yet HC is unbelievable in their customer service

    good luck

    ps. maybe 20 fishing days before they started breaking

    Who is HC??? (just wondering)
    As I said, Berrys doesn't normally sell them, but brought a pair of combos in for whatever reason.
    Rod looks fine, feels about right when flexing it etc (Heavy/Med), so I aint worried about it.

    As for the Abuv Reel, did it tighten up enough not to get "reel creep on downrigger" (assuming you fish with downrigs?)???

    Also, was the "lock up" due to trying to tighten the drag down as far as it could go??
    I know I did just that, tighten the drag as far as I could, and then suddenly couldn't get the drag to "loosen".
    Had to take a screw driver, loosen the screw just slightly, then the drag cam free and tighten screw again.
    (Hey, if it is going to break, I might as well put it to the test right away)

    Was intending to hit the mouth of Fraser with another friend, that's why I got the rod/reel, but then those plans didn't happen.
    So yes, got a lot of time to "wait til next season/summer" before I can find out if I am going to have issues or if it was an
    okay purchase for the price.
    I have Level wind Abu Ambassadors for the river, and its been great for years now, so I thought I was going to be okay.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    The whole idea behind a drag or clutch system is prevent line break. When using a Single pin reel like you are talking about, using your hand to apply more resistance when a fish runs is how they operate. So the biggest concern is how well and how smooth the drag system operates under harsh conditions. If you want a reel that is built for offshore use and money is not a concern look at Tibors, otherwise it is hard to beat a shimano. I fished both Shimano 2000's and Islanders reels for over 20 years, and if I had to chose, it would be Shimano ever time. Shimano's are great value for the money and very reliable in my opinion.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,677

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    The whole idea behind a drag or clutch system is prevent line break. When using a Single pin reel like you are talking about, using your hand to apply more resistance when a fish runs is how they operate. So the biggest concern is how well and how smooth the drag system operates under harsh conditions. If you want a reel that is built for offshore use and money is not a concern look at Tibors, otherwise it is hard to beat a shimano. I fished both Shimano 2000's and Islanders reels for over 20 years, and if I had to chose, it would be Shimano ever time. Shimano's are great value for the money and very reliable in my opinion.
    appreciate the advice on hand drag and understand what you are saying (i flyfish a lot, so i get it)
    I was just concerned about the creep or if there was an issue when on a down rigger.
    Reason being, i talked to a few folks at some of the retailers (and they didnt know much about the Abu's but did look over they reel i had when i had line
    put on).
    They felt is sounded good and was smooth and drag was decent etc.

    But, the biggest concern (other then reliablity) on reels is the drag system when on a downrigger.
    Sounds like some reels have some issues with that, and even the islanders had that issue (so pay big bucks, but still not better off), so they came out
    with the new version to deal with that.

    The abu is just short of the amundson on drag and both are weaker then the islander mr3's, fyi, from me testing them all at once together.

    The Luhr legacy i wanted to origianlly purchase for cheap seems to have been the older version, and i am hearing there were a lot of issues with
    things like reel creep.
    I think they have come out with a new version, so hard to say if it is better now?

    That is the issue often times.
    A reel comes out, and issues develop with some, and word gets around, and then everyone passes on the same info.
    Then when the product, example the new LJ legacy comes out, you dont know if someone is sharing product review of the new version, or
    of the previous old version.

    Same thing with the Islanders going from some issues with the 2's and now to the 3's.

    but yes, no reviews really of the abu at all.
    Only Whognu's , which i do appreciate.
    So it shows it isnt a common product out there.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    appreciate the advice on hand drag and understand what you are saying (i flyfish a lot, so i get it)
    I was just concerned about the creep or if there was an issue when on a down rigger.
    Reason being, i talked to a few folks at some of the retailers (and they didnt know much about the Abu's but did look over they reel i had when i had line
    put on).
    They felt is sounded good and was smooth and drag was decent etc.

    But, the biggest concern (other then reliablity) on reels is the drag system when on a downrigger.
    Sounds like some reels have some issues with that, and even the islanders had that issue (so pay big bucks, but still not better off), so they came out
    with the new version to deal with that.

    The abu is just short of the amundson on drag and both are weaker then the islander mr3's, fyi, from me testing them all at once together.

    The Luhr legacy i wanted to origianlly purchase for cheap seems to have been the older version, and i am hearing there were a lot of issues with
    things like reel creep.
    I think they have come out with a new version, so hard to say if it is better now?

    That is the issue often times.
    A reel comes out, and issues develop with some, and word gets around, and then everyone passes on the same info.
    Then when the product, example the new LJ legacy comes out, you dont know if someone is sharing product review of the new version, or
    of the previous old version.

    Same thing with the Islanders going from some issues with the 2's and now to the 3's.

    but yes, no reviews really of the abu at all.
    Only Whognu's , which i do appreciate.
    So it shows it isnt a common product out there.
    I know what you are talking about regarding creep. With the Shimano's I do not recall it being an issue, although I used to carry clutch rebuild kits in my boat. With the Islander MR2's you had to apply neats foot oil to the cork inside the reel. Another thing I did at the time was to add an additional washer under the screw or centre pin on the reel. That fixed the creep issue permanently. I mentioned my fix to the Islander Rep at a Sportsman show one year. He was quite interested and thanked me for the info. Good luck

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    williams lake
    Posts
    5,074

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Who is HC??? (just wondering)
    Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    739

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    I prefer the Daiwa M One to the Shimano 4000 and agree that there are better options to the Islanders. I’ve heard excellent first hand reviews of the Amundsen reels... but haven’t used one. Stay away from Trophy’s unless you love dealing with birds nests.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,677

    Re: Abu Garcia Diplomat Mooching Reel

    Yes, I heard that Trophy's are to "avoid" and it was from a retailer telling me and they sell them.
    Actually, Amundson I hear are doing well and are recommended.
    Islanders are good reels, and I think the "3" series was to help with reel creep on downriggers.
    But yes, big bucks and I am not a Guide or someone out there everyday for the entire season, otherwise it would be a no brainer.
    But yes, I have used both Daiwa and Shimano that is being mentioned, although they belong to the fella I was fishing with and
    who has the boat (Nanaimo, but we hit Parksville or Port Renfrew).
    Thing is, I don't like using other folks gear (if something breaks) even if my trips are limited.

    I do wish I could compare the Drag when fully tightened on either the Daiwa or Shimano that is spooled in comparison to the
    Abu, but I don't have a friend here with gear.

    I am just curious about the 15 pounds (what specs say) of drag that the Abu is supposedly capable of?
    Because I just got the reel spooled, set the drag to "damn tight", and I still can get the line to "pull out".
    Think my buddy's (either its Daiwa or Shimanos mentioned here), when the drag is tightened up, it is impossible to "pull line".

    Cant say for sure as I wasn't paying that close attention to it, just tightened as much as I needed so the lines would creep on
    downrigger, but wasn't checking to see if I could still "hand pull" out line???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •