Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to Hunt with a 8 year old kid in weekends?

Re: Where to Hunt with a 8 year old kid in weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by whognu View Post
    please do not take anything i say below to be offensive; i certainly do not mean it to come across that way

i think it is awesome that you are trying to get your kids outside to learn new things

here however, and certainly not to dissuade you from going, is my opinion on how to go about it

it takes years and years to become comfortable and somewhat proficient in the ways of the wilds; may people here have grown up locally and so have had a lifetime to acclimate

from your post, it appears you have very little experience in the wild; and i assume you do not have a rifle and have never killed a game bird or animal

if this is true then for your kid's safety (and respect for your prey) i firstly suggest that you become fully comfortable with your guns (packing, shooting reloading storing etc etc) AND have the kids understand where they should be when papa has a gun

secondly, i would be inclined to head out to region 3/5/8, find a fsr and start practice shooting (stationary, offhand etc etc)

at the same time figure out how to 'clean your catch' - lots of youtube videos on how to clean grouse, deer etc

what happens 'after the shooting' ???

because you have (again, i am assuming) little woodsmanship, you could really expose your kids and yourself to grave danger in any number of ways

in the wild (even without guns) things can go from A-OK to tragic very, very fast

again, take no offence from what i have written, simply put, the wilds of BC will get respect - either voluntarily or otherwise

good luck

chris

Hi Thank you for the information. I have several guns, and I practice in the range all the time. I also have a gun safe to store all the guns to keep away from my kids. I brought my son and my daughter to range a few times, they shoot a few rounds, but they don't really like it (they think it is too loud, lol). Anyway, I am trying to have them interested in this hobby, it will take time.

As far as dressing animal goes. I worked as meat inspector for CFIA and for Ontario Agriculture departments, my primary job is to visit meat slaughter and processing facilities to make sure they do what they supposed to do by the regulations and that the animals are healthy. I have been trained and inspected many animals during slaughtering process, including beef, pork, elk, rabbit, chickens, ducks, sheep, goat, etc. I experienced tens of thousands of dead animals passing in front of me (for inspection purpose), so I have no issue handling animal carcass. (I normally watch other people dress and evisceration of animal carcass, but after watching over a million times (300 beef an hour, 900 porks a hour, or 6000 chickens per hour), I kinda learned a bit. I may be slow, but I can do it............ lol)

So far, I got a grouse, and I cleaned it myself. It tasted very good, my son liked it a lot. (My daughter didn't eat it, but she keep whole bunch of feathers, lol)

I am not really an outdoor man, so the first time I went out, I went with a friend. After the trip, I realized I will get lost on the FSR, I won't remember which way I came from. To solves this, I bought a Garmin Trail GPS, so I can track the trails as I go and I have tested it in the forest, it still have signal. So I think I am OK to find my way to my vehicle now..... (I also brought a flare gun just in case)

I am also planning to add the service for the satellite message in case of emergency (I think it is about $12 a month or so).

Currently, I try to not get too far from home or too deep into the Forrest. I always try to find places where I somehow have some cell phone signal. I hike maximum 1km from my vehicle. But as you mentioned, I am still learning the wild stuffs, it is very new to me...............

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Its tough with kids when you live in the LM. Day trips are really exhausting.

If I was you, and I will be in 7 years when my daughter turns 8, I would do motel/cabin hunts out of Merritt, cache creek, logan lake etc.

I wouldnt let covid dissuade me from that. Bring your own bedding, utensils, cutlery etc ... go in before kiddos, disinfect touching surfaces and you should.be good to go.

You gotta get off the paved roads a bit and its tough when you're on a day trip. Its exhausting.
    My son and I stayed at Comfort Inn last weekend in Merritt...... Merritt sucks, they don't have cut blocks........... all trees....... everywhere, all trees..........

I also passed Princeton on the way home, saw a lot of deers on the ranches (private property). All the crown land north of Princeton are deep and steep Forrest with no visibility for animals............

I think the Harrison Area, Boston Bar and East gate areas are slightly better in terms of the terrien, but again, there are a lot hunting pressures.............. I guess like the people said above, I'll just need to find a somewhat remote cut block, and wait there with my son during the weekend. If we didn't catch anything, then consider it as a father and son time. If we catch something, then it is lucky........... lol. Always look on the bright side.

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post
    My son and I stayed at Comfort Inn last weekend in Merritt...... Merritt sucks, they don't have cut blocks........... all trees....... everywhere, all trees..........

I also passed Princeton on the way home, saw a lot of deers on the ranches (private property). All the crown land north of Princeton are deep and steep Forrest with no visibility for animals............

I think the Harrison Area, Boston Bar and East gate areas are slightly better in terms of the terrien, but again, there are a lot hunting pressures.............. I guess like the people said above, I'll just need to find a somewhat remote cut block, and wait there with my son during the weekend. If we didn't catch anything, then consider it as a father and son time. If we catch something, then it is lucky........... lol. Always look on the bright side.
    Our 10 year old Grand Girl was hoping to get out hunting this year with me but COVID has thrown a bit of a wrench in that for now. Note you passed thru Princeton, just West of there is Black Mine Road, heading North off #3, a number of easily accessible cut blocks down it, might be worth a drive. Son lives in Princeton, puts on hundreds of km's every week fishing and hunting around there. He spent a lot of time last week cruising and so absolutely nothing. Now that temps have dropped and the smoke is gone he'll probably have more luck.
    He and I will be in the hills above Tulameen in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Our 10 year old Grand Girl was hoping to get out hunting this year with me but COVID has thrown a bit of a wrench in that for now. Note you passed thru Princeton, just West of there is Black Mine Road, heading North off #3, a number of easily accessible cut blocks down it, might be worth a drive. Son lives in Princeton, puts on hundreds of km's every week fishing and hunting around there. He spent a lot of time last week cruising and so absolutely nothing. Now that temps have dropped and the smoke is gone he'll probably have more luck.
    He and I will be in the hills above Tulameen in a week or so.
    Thank you for the information. I just sent you an email with some pictures attached. I am a bit concerned with private property owners blocking road lead to the Cut blocks and also if there are any white tails in the area. All I see so far in Merritt, Princeton and East Gate are all Mullies............ I haven't see a single white tail yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JcNemo View Post

Uhhh no. Harrison is not going to be better hunting than Merritt. Not even remotely close.

You don't need cut blocks, just areas open enough to hunt. But if you want cut blocks there are plenty around Merritt as well. For example, look at the northern part of 8-5: kane valley, aspen grove etc. There is game in there.