Hello Everyone,

I live in Coquitlam BC. My wife and I have a 8 years old son and a 6 years old daughter. Due to Covid 19, a lot of the indoor activities were either shut down or we don't feel safe to go inside to join the activities (eg. Vancouver Aquarium, Science world, climb base 5, chuck n cheese, etc). The border to US is also closed and the travel is restricted. So I am trying some new things to do with the kids in local areas.

I got my hunting license this year, and is looking for some place to take my kids to hunt during the weekend. The idea is to take the kid out enjoy some outdoor activities (instead of playing video game/ ipad in home), and also teach them where the food came from. The meat don't just came from plastic bag, they were from live animals and people will have to kill the animals in order to obtain the meat, and we should be appreciated with the meat we eat and shall not waste any meat/food.

I went to Merritt and East Gate area in the past 2 weekends with my son, no luck. We saw a lot of deer running across road, but there are trees everywhere, there is no way to stop the vehicle, identify the animal with proper points and then shoot in such short amount of time. I can't really hike into the woods with my son, he is too short. I tried to do that, and he got 2 scratches on his face with the tree branches/shrubs. Then I am thinking about to take my family to Haida Gwaii to do some fishing and hunting. Then I realized the island is closed for non-essential travels........

Currently, I am thinking about doing some duck/geese hunting in the Delta Area. I did my research on Ladner Marsh, Brunswick Point and Westham Island. It seems those area are pretty dangerous for in experienced people. There are something to do with water holes, tides, etc. If the water is to my waste deep, then it is up to my son's neck, he is too short to walk on lands like that.

Then I checked Boundary Bay area. I have never been to the hunting area of the Boundary Bay, but I have been to the Centennial Beach before, and I liked there. The terrain in the area is suitable for walking with young kids. I assume the hunting portion area will be similar? I will have to check this weekend.

I know there are a lot of private farms around the area and in Delta. So I am thinking about Door to Door knock and ask permission to hunt in their private land. Before I go out to ask farmers one by one, I am just wondering if any of you know any farms who is willing to let kids hunt in their land (my son won't shoot, he need to be 10 years old to actually shoot (I think)). Or if you have any recommendations in hunting in those areas with kids. I have all the licences and hunting liability insurances from Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club.

I also heard rumors about
Associated Wildlife preserves, it seems they talk with the farmers and leased a lot of lands in Delta. But I couldn't find any more information regarding to that.

The idea way to hunt is I hide inside blinds with my kids (I don't mind buying 2 blinds) on dry land (not inside water). Then waiting for goose/duck fly over, then shot them down, then my kids go pick up the birds back (My daughter is allergic to dogs, so we don't have dogs after my previous dog passed away).

If any of you have any information to help me out, I would be greatly appreciate it. If you can take me out for 1 day or 2, that would be even better so I know what gears to buy and how to hunt (I currently have camo jacket and a 12ga shot gun).

Associated Wildlife