Thread: 3-19 Deer

3-19 Deer

Hey all!

Just returned from a two night pack back hunt up north of Merritt in area 3-19 on crown land. Came across a white tail doe, muley doe and a buck that wasn't legal at this time. I'm relatively new to hunting and went into this area totally blind aside from some online research. Also saw a ton of sign from moose (which mostly looked old) and deer both fresh and old. The land we were hunting is also grazing land for cattle up that way. What I would like to put out to all you out there is a few questions about the area and any experience from around there your willing to share!

Will the removal of cattle from the area back to their home ranches increase the chances of deer coming in?
    Cover ground over game trails or sit and glass? (we did a combination of both and our run ins with deer were while on foot through trails/beddings)
    What are the chances that non-legal buck I saw will still be there 9 days from now when he is then deemed legal?

Look forwards to any info you might be willing to throw my way! Feel free to shoot a PM.
    Happy hunting everybody

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-19 Deer

QUOTE=Hoffer;2199194]Hey all!

Just returned from a two night pack back hunt up north of Merritt in area 3-19 on crown land. Came across a white tail doe, muley doe and a buck that wasn't legal at this time. I'm relatively new to hunting and went into this area totally blind aside from some online research. Also saw a ton of sign from moose (which mostly looked old) and deer both fresh and old. The land we were hunting is also grazing land for cattle up that way. What I would like to put out to all you out there is a few questions about the area and any experience from around there your willing to share!

Will the removal of cattle from the area back to their home ranches increase the chances of deer coming in. Deer go wherever they feel and cattle don’t seem to bother them much. Up at the in-laws ranches the deer get right in close to the cattle sometimes, other times they’re on opposite ends of the property.
    Cover ground over game trails or sit and glass? (we did a combination of both and our run ins with deer were while on foot through trails/beddings)I’m not good at sitting and prefer to cover ground which usually nets me seeing more game. Glassing is key no matter what style you do.
    What are the chances that non-legal buck I saw will still be there 9 days from now when he is then deemed legal? If he’s content in his local, good chance he’ll be around. But, as soon as nature calls he’ll be chasing that illusive piece of tail taking him wherever his nose directs him. Get out there again, go slow, glass lots and don’t always look for a full animal. Sometimes it’s an ass, leg, antler or an ear moving. Don’t ever see something and say “ ah it’s nothing”. Use your binos for everything and dissect everything around you. You’ll be surprised at how much more you’ll see. Boots on the ground; good luck!!!

Look forwards to any info you might be willing to throw my way! Feel free to shoot a PM.
    Happy hunting everybody[/QUOTE]
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Ride Red, that was pretty cool of you to disect his question and answer in that format. Some good advice. Right on!!

Thanks a bunch for the insight!!

good advise to your questions there. good luck