Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Hunting and Trapping Skinning Knife

Re: Your Favourite Hunting and Trapping Skinning Knife

Anyone used Grizzly Knives? Grizzly Blades actually is the site name.
    Last edited by Daisy; 09-22-2020 at 06:49 AM.

I have three knives for the different tasks mentioned above.
    Skinning is the Victorinox skinning knife. Skin a moose in 10 minutes with it.
    butchering is with a victorinox butcher set.
    I'm not sure what my hunting knife is. The stainless blade is made by gerber, but the handle is custom.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Wow those grizzly knives look good. That one with the gut hook caught my eye, but it is not a sharp gut hook.
    So many to choose from. Except they have to be stored outside the sheath and oiled regularly.
    I like stainless.
    Last edited by tigrr; 09-22-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Wow those grizzly knives look good. That one with the gut hook caught my eye, but it is not a sharp gut hook.
    So many to choose from. Except they have to be stored outside the sheath and oiled regularly.
    I like stainless.
    I don’t even know how to use a guthook so wasn’t sure if it was worth getting one with it or not? I’m doing my trapping course soon and want a general all round trapping/skinning/hunting knife, so if it worth it then I’d get that too. But I was confused why it’s not sharp?

i was unsure also on the metal types-what’s best and why? I see they say their carbon blade needs to be sharpened less often, but I’ve always used stainless and don’t know anything else really lol

Full custom, life’s to short to pack an ugly knife.

https://i.imgur.com/6cpB5ly.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Full custom, life’s to short to pack an ugly knife.

https://i.imgur.com/6cpB5ly.jpg
    what kind are these? All I see is the pic but I can’t find info on them. They’re nice for sure

I have 3 fav knives for skinning game. One is an old Buck skinning knife that I just love how it fits in the hand and holds some good memories, and I have a BlackTail original made with an elk antler handle, it also fits perfectly in my hand is a thing of beauty and holds its edge very well. I also have a smaller Gerber I love and use on small game.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    what kind are these? All I see is the pic but I can’t find info on them. They’re nice for sure
    They were built by a fellow in California, Gary Bolduc. I’ll attach a link here. They are quite $$, but the quality is there. The “sheep skinner”, my dad gifted me for my birthday “order the knife you want” he said, then I had Gary build a matching caper, which we named the “goat caper” (cool thing about going custom. Iv yet to have to sharpen either of these, and both have a few animals, plus a couple years of general camping use. Both knives have a water buffalo horn handle and S35VN steel.

http://bolducknives.com/

Knowing how to sharpen your steel is more important than the type of knife you use.
    Of course it has to have pretty handles.
    S30V steel is top right now.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I love my Spyderco Temperance 2, it’s real pretty and comes with an nice leather sheath. It skins and cuts very well, love the shape of the blade and it’s a pleasure to sharpen, and hold an edge well. Getting a good knife is one of those rare things that could actually last you your entire life, and be passed on. Personally I’d much rather use a lifelong knife and sharpen it for years than a disposable havalon.