Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Hunting and Trapping Skinning Knife

Re: Your Favourite Hunting and Trapping Skinning Knife

I decided to try a cheaper Damascus one as my sons is a stainless steel. So we’ll have both types of metal to work with and see what works best for us. Then I don’t spend and arm and a leg on something pretty that I won’t use. Just bought off Amazon so hopefully it’s okay quality.

Trying to post a photo but it’s not working

Grace Knives Damascus Steel Hunting Knife Fixed Blade Knife Handmade 8.5 Inches with Leather Sheath G-1066 R https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q23XZS4/..._4z0AFb5SC46ST

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’m assuming you’re looking for a gift for someone special. Check out the grohman line. Made in pictou, Nova Scotia. I think it’s called their number one, they claim(and many others on this site) to be a great trapping and hunting knife. I think you can get some custom options for handles. My brother had the small Skinner and it’s the nicest Shape to fit my hand of all the knives I’ve tried. Four options for skinning knives, I’m sure they’re all good.
    https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...door/all-items

It’s hard to beat a havalon though. Not the nicest feel, but razor sharp and when it gets dull, you just pop another blade in.

There’s plenty of smaller shops or custom guys in bc and Alberta who make one-of-a-kind stuff too if you want something really special.
    I love my Grohmann.... I bought the #4 survival with stag handle.... it's a fantastic hunting knife. It guts, skins and even debones well (except for some tighter spots that work better with a small boning knife). I would highly recommend!

Sorry but I just would not want to use a expensive knife custom or otherwise in the outdoors . Put it down and can’t find it Yikes ! Plenty of good knives at reasonable prices to loose and not beat yourself up about it !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

My setup is darn simple and gets the job done nicely.
    Bucklite Max Large

and Lansky's blade medic.

I got the knife as a gift and I'm definitely a fan of the gut hook now. I only do the gutless method and I can zip down the back and legs in no time with the gut hook.
    I thought the gut hook might catch in some situations but nope, doesn't cause me any problems.
    The knife works great from skinning to busting up joints, taking heads off & cleaning them, and deboning. Ergonomic and strong, you can really lean into it.
    The knife sheath goes on my belt when I'm working and the knife never goes on the ground.
    The Lansky blade medic is a no-brainer for sharpening. A few swipes of the ceramic between quarters and you're plenty sharp again.
    It sharpen's the gut hook and I can even sharpen my saw blade on my other SAK.
    I've considered lighter options but this setup is pretty bomber for the few extra ounces.
    I don't worry about being delicate with the knife or dulling the blade on stubborn joints cause I know I can quickly resharpen.
    Makes processing an animal fast and no stressing about "oooh bad move, that just made my blade dull".
    Just give'er!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31cC4aoYAbL._AC_.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Where do you find these? I couldn’t easily find a site to buy them from when I searched Floyd ternier.
    He had a table at a local gun show years ago, that's where I got it from.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Just got a North Arm Lynx as an anniversary gift. Haven't used it on an animal yet, but I've no doubt it will perform much better than the fairly cheap knives I've used until now. Made in BC, S35VN steel, Kydex sheath, easy-to-see orange handle, and reasonably priced.

-Cold steel master hunter as utility knife and heavier work knife (joints and such)

-Havalon for the delicate cuts. Really cant beat the instant razor sharpness.

-small swiss army knife: cutting food, tags, and other small, clean tasks.

-hook: one of those that's just for cutting the skin. Makes it easy to cut hide and not dull your knife on hair. It doesnt weigh much and it's nice to have, but if I forget it no biggie.

I use the Adventure Sworn Huntsman knife. Convex grind in 3V steel.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CEQP64zD...=19kdg6m3x8jkt