Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grouse fun Mount Glossy

Re: Grouse fun Mount Glossy

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry98 View Post
    Was along the Canada/USA border area in region 8 and saw a whole bunch, 40+ (yes hard to believe but I have never seen that many either) of blues(duskys) while deer hunting from 1950m - 2250m, there were a few franklins around but nothing to brag about. I killed a blue last week in central region 8 at 2100m. But have run into the occasional one at +/- 1350m. Last year I saw plenty of blues in central region 8 at 1450-1570m. Like one fellow said above i have also heard of people finding them in the 1100m area. In region 2 I have seen sootys from 1300m-1800m as well. I have noticed the Blues tend to spend more time in trees that are more well spaced. But then again they are wild birds and they will decide to live wherever they want and where the food may be.
    Good luck!
    thanks backcountry! I'd love to get into a couple! Based on some much appreciated feedback, I think I was in too thick of a forest - will try to find some more open (better spaced) areas next time. cheers, Mike

Someone told me how to upload pics - here's a few from the weekend (click on the thumbnail for a larger pic):

Found it much easier to move when I stayed on a game trail!

Nice spot for lunch near the top

One of 7

couldn't tell if these were moose or deer beds?

I was looking also around opening in Region 4 above 2200 m but did not find them. My guess is that it was too early in the season for them to be that high.

I ended up dropping down and changing regions to get onto a reliable source of Ruffies. But those blues are majestic.