Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse fun Mount Glossy

Grouse fun Mount Glossy

Never having solo hunted before, I thought this would be a good starter hunt. I headed up on the 9th and scouted that afternoon. I camped at the end of an FSR and hiked between 1800-1920 meters, looking for Blue Grouse. I thought I was at the right elevation, but maybe not steep enough? All I saw were Franklins, and almost all single mature birds.

I ended up getting 7 Franklins over 2 days, after spending the opening day deer hunting.

A couple of questions for those that might know:

Am I at the right elevation/place for Blues?

Now that we've had some time in the woods, what are the grouse numbers looking like compared to other years? I thought this would be a low year with the wet spring, but I've never been in this area before so nothing to compare it to...

cheers,
    boilerroom

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse fun Mount Glossy

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had a great time out in the bush! So far this season I've found Blue Grouse around 1100m, and per your experience Spruce grouse at higher elevations. Ruffed grouse any and everywhere in between as usual. In my short experience hunting Blue Grouse in Region 3 they tend to start at lower elevations earlier in the season and migrate higher up later on. Happy hunting!

Semi open fir ridges for blues.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

thanks guys! I was clearly not at the right elevation or environment for the Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by imack91 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had a great time out in the bush! So far this season I've found Blue Grouse around 1100m, and per your experience Spruce grouse at higher elevations. Ruffed grouse any and everywhere in between as usual. In my short experience hunting Blue Grouse in Region 3 they tend to start at lower elevations earlier in the season and migrate higher up later on. Happy hunting!
    Thanks folks, I knew I must have been doing something wrong- sounds like it was at least two things...

Good luck out there! We’ve walked far and worked hard for all our birds this year, I think the wet spring was hard on the new birds this year.

Sounds like you had fun. I have always loved walking around for birds. I find it very relaxing.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    Sounds like you had fun. I have always loved walking around for birds. I find it very relaxing.
    I definitely had fun. Something about being all alone in the woods helps slow everything down.

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    I definitely had fun. Something about being all alone in the woods helps slow everything down.
    Yep that sums it up well.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Was along the Canada/USA border area in region 8 and saw a whole bunch, 40+ (yes hard to believe but I have never seen that many either) of blues(duskys) while deer hunting from 1950m - 2250m, there were a few franklins around but nothing to brag about. I killed a blue last week in central region 8 at 2100m. But have run into the occasional one at +/- 1350m. Last year I saw plenty of blues in central region 8 at 1450-1570m. Like one fellow said above i have also heard of people finding them in the 1100m area. In region 2 I have seen sootys from 1300m-1800m as well. I have noticed the Blues tend to spend more time in trees that are more well spaced. But then again they are wild birds and they will decide to live wherever they want and where the food may be.
    Good luck!
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC