Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunters helping hunters thread

Re: Hunters helping hunters thread

I'm new to this site and looking for help to post an ad for a item for all hunters out there. If I
    could get some guidance on how this is done, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.

Welcome to the forum from an ex-Eagle Bay guy. You can post items for sale in the sub forums that fit best. I can’t recall 100% but I think you need a certain number of posts to post sale items? I might be thinking of other forums though, so give it a try...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumd...or-Accessories
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

We were sheep hunting one year. We left in the early am and hiked up a creek draw. Going was pretty easy.
    About 1.5 hrs in we decided to take the packs off and have a water break. Right where we stopped there was a couple that were just putting their packs on as they started hiking the evening before. Turns out it was her first sheep hunt and her partner had yet to harvest a ram. She had good positive attitude but she also noted about how tough the going was up to that point. We gave them some general info about water up top and different possible routes that they could take to gain some elevation.
    We wished the good luck as we parted. They opted to head straight up a super steep hard -packer slide as the creek draw was starting to get nasty.

They were about 100 yards straight up behind a clump of trees when I heard a strange noise. One of her tin cups had called off her pack and rolled right down beside us. I didn’t hesitate and told my partner that I’d be right back.
    I grabbed the cup and hiked up the hill as fast as I could(my legs were still feeling fresh).
    When I got to them and passed her the cup she just shook her head and said...”Dude! You rock!”
    I then told her that she might want to put the shiny tin cups inside her pack so she wouldn’t lose them again and so that they were shiny beacons for the sheep to spot them.
    I wished them luck again and scurried back down to the bottom.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 09-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Was in my deer stand last December and had a doe in close by. Watched as an elderly gentleman walked into my stand, completely oblivious to my stand. As he circled left the doe went right in a big circle .. Was funny to watch. Once he was close enough I got his attention by tossing a small stick his way and used hand signals to quickly communicate what was going on .. and he seemingly understood somehow. Couple short moments later I was on the ground helping him drag her to his truck. I've yet to harvest my own WT buck, shot a few does when it was open .... Was a great morning, one of my top hunting moments to date.

This year, had 2 different hunters (both active HBCers) whom I've never met provide me with their cell numbers and offers to assist me if needed. Both knew I was hunting elk solo near their homes and had no problem coming to help if I was in a jam.

Some great folks out there!

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    Was in my deer stand last December and had a doe in close by. Watched as an elderly gentleman walked into my stand, completely oblivious to my stand. As he circled left the doe went right in a big circle .. Was funny to watch. Once he was close enough I got his attention by tossing a small stick his way and used hand signals to quickly communicate what was going on .. and he seemingly understood somehow. Couple short moments later I was on the ground helping him drag her to his truck. I've yet to harvest my own WT buck, shot a few does when it was open .... Was a great morning, one of my top hunting moments to date.
    Nice going!

I really like the direction this thread is taking! Let's keep em coming

When he found out I was going to be hunting East Koots one of the legendary members on here that lives in Cranbrook sent his phone number and offered to come help pack if we got lucky. Nice guy.

We did get lucky (story coming after moose hunt this week) but were a long way from Cranbrook so didn't take him up on it.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

^^^^well done everyone.....

I had a great experience once up in some beautiful alpine out of Lillooet. I had headlamped up into a favorite basin and peeked into it shortly after daylight. I immediately picked up a 150 class velvet muley bedded and chewing his cud. I was glassing the rest of the basin looking for a better buck as they are usually in groups early in the season. I heard noise and spotted a father with his 12 year old son approaching. I motioned them to be quiet and stay low. When they got up to me I told them I was watching a buck. The father said he knew that as they had spotted the buck from another ridge and had been hustling to get to it. I told him the buck was his and pointed out its location. Together we devised a plan for a stalk and I stayed with his son to give hand signals to help him move in on the buck from above treeline. About 45 minutes later we watched him shoot that buck. The look on his sons face surely made him a hunter for life! We made our way over to his dad and I got to be part of their celebration. I was a young man in my mid 20s and that event touched me. The father shook my hand and told me he owed me half a deer! I politely declined so he told me to come by his camp for a drink later. I hunted the rest of the day with a smile on my face! I recall his name was Ron and he was a telus lineman. That happened about 30 years ago and I remember it vividly.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Awesome buck!

You're gonna want a bit longer cape for a mount lol!

And it seems the elk are not very vocal for most people this year. Lots of folks saying the same thing.
    Not sure who you've been chatting with but from what I'm experiencing and hearing, it's the complete opposite. Not to mention this is prime time right now.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."