Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Muley Quest

Re: Muley Quest

Depends what you want size wise. All those areas you mentioned can have a LOT of hunters and in some of those places even hiking won't get you away from them.

The recommendation of hunting late is a good one and the deer hunting can get very good down near the Fraser north of Lac La Hache. Access can be an issue though due to the chunks of private land, but once you get through towards the breaks it can be very good. There can also be some good hunting in the fir ridge areas east of Hwy 97 in the 130 Mile area...check the maps for the FSR roads in that area.

I like to go out to the Chilcotin and hunt south of the highway back in the valleys and there is some good logging road access into some areas, followed by some hiking. You'll see hunters but not usually as many as you will see in the 100 Mile area or Kamloops.

I prefer to hunt further north now, but that would be quite a ways outside of your driving times you have set.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Thanks to all of you for the replies fellas ! Going to look over the maps !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

So many posts on HBC about problems with the indeginous people in the Chilcotin I thought most of us Caucasian’s stayed away from there due to harassment and camp bandits !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    Depends what you want size wise. All those areas you mentioned can have a LOT of hunters and in some of those places even hiking won't get you away from them.

The recommendation of hunting late is a good one and the deer hunting can get very good down near the Fraser north of Lac La Hache. Access can be an issue though due to the chunks of private land, but once you get through towards the breaks it can be very good. There can also be some good hunting in the fir ridge areas east of Hwy 97 in the 130 Mile area...check the maps for the FSR roads in that area.

I like to go out to the Chilcotin and hunt south of the highway back in the valleys and there is some good logging road access into some areas, followed by some hiking. You'll see hunters but not usually as many as you will see in the 100 Mile area or Kamloops.

I prefer to hunt further north now, but that would be quite a ways outside of your driving times you have set.

It would be great to harvest a muley with a nice rack for sure but if it’s an any buck situation I’m not going to pass on a small one .Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post

Anyone else feel like adding some suggestions ?
    Arctic Lake

I guess those "tons of cougar" were vegan!

Up the odds and hunt the rut, all those places hold deer. Hope for some snow and hunt the fresh sign.

I hear what you are saying Steelpulse ! I need to check back with him on availability for November but was thinking of an any buck season so as to increase the odds rather than 4 point only . I was thinking that is why maybe the last week of October ? Feel free to comment .Im always eager to learn more . There’s a whole bunch of empty space waiting to be filled, LOL !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Up the odds and hunt the rut, all those places hold deer. Hope for some snow and hunt the fresh sign.

Because our cabin is in Tulameen, almost 100% of my hunting is within an hour drive of there.
    The FSR's off the COQ, off of #3, Lawless, Lodestone and such.
    As many have said, the October any Mule Deer Buck and the Antlerless White Tail hunts coincide nicely and increases your chances a lot.
    It also increases the traffic - forget about Thanksgiving Weekend.
    Having said that I'll be in the hills above Tulameen next weekend with our Princeton dwelling Son checking out a spot we've scouted the past 12 months that seems to hold some potential.
    The area has been very slow recently with the extreme heat and smmoke but with that all changing it should become more active.

Thanks for the latest replies fellas ! Some more detailed and that is a bonus !
    Arctic Lake