Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muley Quest

Re: Muley Quest

I've never seen a vegetarian cougar, so if you have a healthy population of cats in the vicinity likely there is something for them to eat or they will just move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by JG75 View Post
    Being 100% honest when I say mule deer are almost extinct in 330-329. The elephant hill fire really ravaged the populations. We have a family cabin out there i spend a week hunting there every fall(Usually end of October) only seen one 2pt buck in the last 4 years since the fire. Tons of predators too. Took two bears in that area, had a run in with a Cat and her cubs too and seen TONS of Cougar sign.

I also believe there is an ATV ban in that region. Never applied to me, I prefer to hike anyways. Not trying to scare you away but if I didn't have an awesome cabin out there I wouldn't take time off to chase mule deer there.

If youre south of the Thompson below Savona and Kammy, I prefer late November after the first snow starts flying. I have hit many bucks around there at that time of year. Avoid the road hunters, look at google maps for some areas to hike into, theres a few choice areas there you can easily pick out.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Thanks for the information will need to do some Google Maps and other maps
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    If youre south of the Thompson below Savona and Kammy, I prefer late November after the first snow starts flying. I have hit many bucks around there at that time of year. Avoid the road hunters, look at google maps for some areas to hike into, theres a few choice areas there you can easily pick out.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Clinton if you're on foot, you should be early enough to catch the mulies still there early October assuming we don't get an early snow.. alot less pressured from hunters than princeton kamloops or kelowna

Totally agree. I've tried two 3-day trips and only saw one deer, and not many tracks in the snow.

All those areas mentioned are good for muleys.I prefer hunting in late november when the rut is in full swing.
    Don't be afraid of the snow.It is your friend.It does not bother the deer until it gets over a couple of feet deep.Nice quiet walking,easy tracking.4 pointers have breeding on their mind so are more active.
    Don't forget your buck call.Can be a very good tool in the middle of the afternoon when things are still.Locate a bedding area,be down hill and down wind and blow a few grunts then wait.
    I have had deer stalk me as they get curious.
    Good luck

Thank You Fellas ! For sure you have given me some pointers !
    Arctic Lake

So it seems that the 1 week trip will happen the last week of this month . If anyone missed this thread I’m still considering where to go ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Because our cabin is in Tulameen, almost 100% of my hunting is within an hour drive of there.
    The FSR's off the COQ, off of #3, Lawless, Lodestone and such.
    As many have said, the October any Mule Deer Buck and the Antlerless White Tail hunts coincide nicely and increases your chances a lot.
    It also increases the traffic - forget about Thanksgiving Weekend.
    Having said that I'll be in the hills above Tulameen next weekend with our Princeton dwelling Son checking out a spot we've scouted the past 12 months that seems to hold some potential.
    The area has been very slow recently with the extreme heat and smmoke but with that all changing it should become more active.
    Read this one again.....lots of country, good game numbers and not far from home.....I will be in 8-05 & 6 later this month for sure!

Thank You for the information ! Like I mentioned before it is about getting out and enjoying this great province
    but it would be great if we could bring home a buck !
    Arctic Lake