Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-Mortem Of A Failed Mule Deer Hunt

Talking Post-Mortem Of A Failed Mule Deer Hunt

I've had a week to sit on my failed first hunt of the year, where we went after Mule Deer at about 1850 meters elevation. We arrived on the 9th, glassed down a Cow Moose in the basin, and saw a beauty 4x4 buck on the morning of the 10th... But we were unable to get another glimpse of a deer after that. I expect this is a combination of tactical and execution errors. regardless, here is the story.

The below map shows the orange circle at our original glassing point. We saw the moose at the first marked water source on night one, and the buck at the marked buck location on the 10th around 7am. He poked out for about 5 seconds along the treeline while snacking on young tree growth, then ducked back into the trees.

The red markers are confirmed sign (fresh scat) near small patches of food, the blue markers represent theorized travel corridors (assumptions) and the house symbol indicates where we felt it likely he was bedding, based on lots of brush, good sightlines into the bigger bowl, lots of sign. This may have been inaccurate, and it seems likely in retrospect that it was a walking channel to get along the ridge towards larger patches on food on the south face.

As you can see, there are open channels between the trees along the contour lines. This is where we saw the buck walking/feeding. We initially theorized that these were likely the walking channels used to move around the area.

The initial plan had been to walk the ridges surrounding the bowls and glass into the south facing areas in the mornings and evenings, but when we saw the legal buck (first mule deer we have seen) we felt we should go after him.

Sept 9th,
    Evening (3:30 - 8pm):
    Spot a Cow Moose walking towards the water sources on our way to the ridge of the bowl we were intending to scout. Decide to watch the basin overlooking the two water sources. Cow moose walks right past us at 10ft without smelling us, but gives us some loud stomps after catching wind of us from behind. Pretty cool. We decide to try the spot again in the morning.

Sept 10th,
    Morning (5:30 - 11):
    Glassed the basin over the two main water sources, hoping to sight any deer in the treeline. At 7am a buck emerges, allows us a count (minimum 4x4), and returns to the trees.
    Day (12:30-3):
    We hike the fringe near where we saw him, looking for sign or obvious sources of food. There are plenty of hoofprints, but little scat and no obvious or large feeding areas apparent.
    Set up an ambush 100 yards from where we sighted the buck, watching the treeline. Wind blew favourably into our faces, and away from the treeline. Saw nothing.

Sept 11th,
    Set up at same ambush site, watching the treeline. Wind strong, but blowing favourably.
    We walked the channels between trees, looking for obvious food sources. Found some sign, and a recently used, active trail into thick brush by the secondary peak.
    Set up to ambush on a section of exposed rock, overlooking the bowl, the broad treeline on the east side of the peak and the trail. Saw nothing.

Sept 12th,
    Set up at the second water source, closer to where we had the initial sighting, but far enough back that we could see the whole treeline. Wind was favourable. Saw nothing.
    Hike the lower channels between trees, see a large amount of fresh sign in a clearing where several of these open passages meet.
    Evening (3:30 - 8pm): Set up under a tree where we can watch the open channels where these three tree lines meet. See nothing.

Sept 13th,
    Smoke has rolled in. We set up an ambush at the same clearing as the previous nights attempts. We see plenty of grouse and hear some movement in the trees, but nothing apparently larger. See nothing. Given the smokey conditions and our inability to see beyond 100 yards we head home, a day earlier than planned.

TAKEAWAYS:

1. Stick to the plan. We had intended to seek out an active feeding slope (there were 4 bowls within our area) and approach with a spot and stalk method, ambushing in between bed and feed... We abandoned this plan when we saw a legal buck on opening morning.

2. Beware a false positive. We are both inexperienced, and haven't even seen a deer in our two attempts last year. Seeing a cow moose and a legal buck in our first two scouting sessions gave us the feeling that we were looking in the right zone. We took the time to check some potential feeding areas on our decent; it was apparent there was a lot more deer activity in those areas than where we were looking.

3. Morale is vital. A large part of staying focus is keeping the faith that you could see something at any time. Near the end it was a battle to keep my spirits up during the long glassing and ambush attempts... Snacks were a vital part of staying alert.

All in all, it was a fantastic camping trip, the first buck we have seen and great experience. I'm reading up further on tactics to try to assess what I would do differently next time. Are there any clear errors I made that are apparent to you? Anything you would have done differently, or suggest be done differently? Any books you suggest I try?

Regardless, I am hooked. I'm already itching to be out there yesterday. Time to plan the next big excursion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ambush3Map.jpg  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Post-Mortem Of A Failed Mule Deer Hunt

no hunt is a failure, you learn something every day out in the field. Good luck in future, seems you're on the right track and doing more than most would for evaluating their results
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Interesting report with lots of detail. Personally I would probably never hunt that long in one area if I was out on a week hunt. Move maybe come back in a couple days if you thought it worthwhile. Even on a day trip we plan for one or two places we need to visit to see if there is an activity & deer. But keep at it and you be successful. That is why they call it hunting.

I know lots of guys myself included that have had tag soup multiple times. This adventure is a steep curve, that only seems to get steeper. Last year in my group I was the first to get a 4 point in 4 point season, and we a lot of years experience combined. Every season, every trip I learn something, or something is reinforced. It's about the journey, not the destination, but I know it frickin sucks to have an empty freezer. Keep at it, the payoff is amazing!
    Tight groups Safe hunts

The better that you get to know an area the higher your probability for a successful harvest.
    You're on your way, sighted a nice buck and a cow moose.
    I don't know if there is a bull moose opening for your spot, but if there is you should get a tag. Pretty soon there will be a suitor or two for that cow.
    Also, being mindful of the wind flow throughout the day will give you ideas where to set up a blind. Theoretically, wind flow is uphill in the morning and downhill in the afternoon., thus, hunt downhill in the morning, conversely, uphill in the afternoon.
    And don't skyline yourself.
    Oh, if you spook an animal, don't give chase, backtrack and circle if all things (wind) are in your favor. They can outrun you and may book it for the next valley or two over. And this applies to a wounded animal. Why chase it, let it meander off, it will lie down and if left long enough, it should bleed out. Chasing it will increase it's adrenaline output and this could affect the taste of the meat.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I don't know if there is a bull moose opening for your spot, but if there is you should get a tag. Pretty soon there will be a suitor or two for that cow.
    You know what, there actually is. I hadn't even considered going after a moose this year as I assumed I'd only have a shot in LEH. I'll have to read up on their behaviour a bit to better understand how and when she is likely to move out of that area or when a bull could potentially come looking. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by Shannaleri; 09-20-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    Personally I would probably never hunt that long in one area if I was out on a week hunt. Move maybe come back in a couple days if you thought it worthwhile. Even on a day trip we plan for one or two places we need to visit to see if there is an activity & deer.
    Hm, that's interesting. I think I'm stuck between patience and restlessness right now. I don't yet have a good sense for when it's productive to trust the spot and wait or when it would be better to stand up and move to a new area. It's interesting to note that you and others might move around more. Next time I will try to understand the feeding zones much earlier and cover more ground. It makes sense; there was a ton of promising spots I never really laid eyes on.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    no hunt is a failure, you learn something every day out in the field. Good luck in future, seems you're on the right track and doing more than most would for evaluating their results
    x2.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    The better that you get to know an area the higher your probability for a successful harvest.
    You're on your way, sighted a nice buck and a cow moose.
    Also, being mindful of the wind flow throughout the day will give you ideas where to set up a blind. Theoretically, wind flow is uphill in the morning and downhill in the afternoon., thus, hunt downhill in the morning, conversely, uphill in the afternoon.
    And don't skyline yourself.
    Oh, if you spook an animal, don't give chase, backtrack and circle if all things (wind) are in your favor. They can outrun you and may book it for the next valley or two over. And this applies to a wounded animal. Why chase it, let it meander off, it will lie down and if left long enough, it should bleed out. Chasing it will increase it's adrenaline output and this could affect the taste of the meat.
    Windflow goes downhill in the early morning transitioning to uphill in the late morning/afternoon and back downhill towards the evening...
    Last edited by Aaron600; 09-21-2020 at 07:59 AM.

thanks for the post! it's great to see what others are doing and to hear from the more experienced.