Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer + and I have a question

Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer + and I have a question

I should add that you don't update the maps through your phone, but through a computer using the InReach sync program.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    You should be able to add Openstreetmap to your unit for free through the Inreach page, follow the instructions at the link below. I don't know how often they update their maps from the main Openstreetmap site, but it's very good and free. Depending of how active people are in your area at keeping the map updated, it is often better data than BRMB has.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...yk4t2c3c2eD5WA
    Thank you. Sounds good.

You might consider not using your InReach for navigation as that requires it to be turned on the entire time you are hunting. For me, the whole purpose of the unit is for safety and you do not want to risk having the battery run down. I just carry it in my pack and only use it to communicate with home or hunting partners. A full charge will last more than an entire season. Get a Garmin GPS and buy a Backroads Mapbook SD card for BC and use that for navigation. It will run on AA batteries, so carry a couple of spares and you should be good.

There's lots of ways to go Michel here's what I did. I got one last year used it as a gps on one trip and it did fine but tiny little screen and simple contour only map left a lot to be desired. My phone using the ihunter app is way better for navigating so now I just use that and the inreach stays in the pack only used to text or there for an emergency. I went with the $14 something a month plan with inreach that leaves it on all year but no other features I don't need. I didn't bother syncing my phone to the inreach.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    There's lots of ways to go Michel here's what I did. I got one last year used it as a gps on one trip and it did fine but tiny little screen and simple contour only map left a lot to be desired. My phone using the ihunter app is way better for navigating so now I just use that and the inreach stays in the pack only used to text or there for an emergency. I went with the $14 something a month plan with inreach that leaves it on all year but no other features I don't need. I didn't bother syncing my phone to the inreach.
    Thank you Salty. I bought it for the communication features to reassure my wife I was okay on my solo trips and that is my intent.

It's been the very rare occasion that I felt I needed a GPS and even then it was because I wanted to know if I had crossed a regional boundary and a GPS doesn't have those boundaries indicated anyway.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-20-2020 at 10:05 PM.

@MichelD I've had the 66i for a couple months now. I bought it for similar reasons to you. I want to be able to communicate when I'm out of service and with my 9 year old son. Fortunately we've been able to use it a fair bit this year.

The entire system is obviously several legacy systems kludged together. There are some things you can only do on the web app, some things that can only be done on the phone app, and some things you do on the device. It seems a little odd and it's not exactly intuitive but overall it's a great system because it does things that no other system can.

Here is a good overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPa3VE8yegU&t=2922s

The guy who made the video (hikingguy.com) also has a web page where he goes through a bunch of stuff. I haven't gone through his web page yet but that's on the list.

I'm also considering this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NswTYBkxEqo . I don't usually like doing Youtube 'classes', especially if I have to pay for them, but I've found that the 66i is a space shuttle (probably an apt analogy because that too was a mix of a bunch of different kludged legacy systems) and i'm driving it like a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Thank you Salty. I bought it for the communication features to reassure my wife I was okay on my solo trips and that is my intent.

It's been the very rare occasion that I felt I needed a GPS and even then it was because I wanted to know if I had crossed a regional boundary and a GPS doesn't have those boundaries indicated anyway.
    Same here I only seem to use gps to figure out road systems in new areas once in a while that's about it. Enjoy your inreach! That's why I got mine too, just to keep my wife from worrying and its awesome for that.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I didn't bother syncing my phone to the inreach.
    I don't know if it is true or not, but when I was having trouble with messages not going out InReach told me it was essential to sync for the system to work as designed.

That said, they also told me they hadn't heard of my problem before but a couple other friends had reported exactly the same problem so I know they were lying.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I took mine out this weekend for the first time and i must say the BRMB is way better if you want to use the inreach for a GPS. Even on a main FSR it does not show the road or trails like the BRMB does. It shows land marks and lakes but not very good if you want to see trails and look ahead to see where a road or trail goes. I think i will take mine back and get the 66I so i can install the maps that im used too.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    @MichelD I've had the 66i for a couple months now. I bought it for similar reasons to you. I want to be able to communicate when I'm out of service and with my 9 year old son. Fortunately we've been able to use it a fair bit this year.

The entire system is obviously several legacy systems kludged together. There are some things you can only do on the web app, some things that can only be done on the phone app, and some things you do on the device. It seems a little odd and it's not exactly intuitive but overall it's a great system because it does things that no other system can.

Here is a good overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPa3VE8yegU&t=2922s

The guy who made the video (hikingguy.com) also has a web page where he goes through a bunch of stuff. I haven't gone through his web page yet but that's on the list.

I'm also considering this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NswTYBkxEqo . I don't usually like doing Youtube 'classes', especially if I have to pay for them, but I've found that the 66i is a space shuttle (probably an apt analogy because that too was a mix of a bunch of different kludged legacy systems) and i'm driving it like a bicycle.

I considered the 66i but there were so many negative reviews online I shied away from it and got the Explorer +