Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer + and I have a question

Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer + and I have a question

Well I bit the bullet and finally bought a Garmin inReach Explorer +

Now I'm hesitant to even take it out of the box before I read all about how to make it work. Reading all the "Getting started" instructions on the Garmin site first, starting with "How to turn it on," and what the buttons do.

I am not usually very good with programing or operating electronic devices.

I'm wondering how useful other users find the Delorme maps already loaded in the device?

I have a very out-of-date Smartphone that is not compatible with the Explorer + so I can't upload better maps from Earthmate as Garmin suggests is possible.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bought a Garmin inReach Explorer + and I have a question

Don't be afraid to turn it on and start playing with it.I'd have the manual handy and refer to it often,,,,you cannot hurt it. It's a learning experience
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

I have had one for about three years and had the same concerns. Play around with it and use the manual like hd95 said. You will soon feel comfortable with it.

the gps is really straight forward to use. a bit of a pain to type with for messages...but the website part that links to your garmin account is easy to navigate as well.

if you ever do upgrade your smart phone, i've been very happy with the app using the bluetooth pairing to the device. i just keep the gps on the outside of my hunting pack and i can grab my phone and use the maps and messages easily.

Two things.
    Buy a back roads map card if you can. Rediculously superior to the default maps. Beyond night and day difference.

Don't ever let the battery fully drain. First time I did that on my 66i and it was bricked in the middle of a hunt.

Beyond that, Garmin Explore App is overrated and don't be afraid to play around with it, pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    Two things.
    Buy a back roads map card if you can. Rediculously superior to the default maps. Beyond night and day difference.

Don't ever let the battery fully drain. First time I did that on my 66i and it was bricked in the middle of a hunt.

Beyond that, Garmin Explore App is overrated and don't be afraid to play around with it, pretty straight forward.
    BC Backroads Map is not compatible with the inReach.

not with the Explorer +, but it is with the Garmin 66i and Montana 700i
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

You may be better off spending more money and going with the 66i. Then you can easily use better maps by using the micro SD card slot.
    Im going from a Delorme Inreach SE plus a garmin 60csx GPS to the Garmin 66i because I already have different maps on SD cards and don’t want to lose the ease of use.

I've been using the InReach since they first came out. They are good, but not flawless. I've been in several situations where my messages did not send, even though the "sent" indication was displayed. The same thing has happened to others I know and it has created more than a little stress.

My wife and I now have a system-- she responds to each message with a "message regarding "x" received at "time". I don't assume she has received a message until I get that confirmation. If I don't get that confirmation I keep sending messages until I do. Sometimes they seem to get stuck in the system somewhere and multiple messages seem to eventually bust the digital logjam.

It is the best system out there, just not perfect. Enjoy your purchase.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

You should be able to add Openstreetmap to your unit for free through the Inreach page, follow the instructions at the link below. I don't know how often they update their maps from the main Openstreetmap site, but it's very good and free. Depending of how active people are in your area at keeping the map updated, it is often better data than BRMB has.

https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?fa...yk4t2c3c2eD5WA