Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    The reason these jerks are jerks is because they couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.
    Not really. I’m not a good hunter yet but I share my spots with people and give them all the types I know

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    its because the vast majority of older hunters are complete pricks.

There, I said it.. now that is out of the way id love to try to figure out where these gentleman get their endless amounts of entitlement?

We are currently on a moose hunt in 5-15 we rented a cabin knowing the days would be long and hard..

We have scouted for a solid week put countless km on the boots over 1000km on the machines disecting our zone (prior to the hunt) the first 5 days were complete silence and solitude the the other hunters started rolling in, which was great or so I thought..

Every single one of these groups (7!) Besides ONE of them has been completely ignorant disrespectful and entitled.. multiple camps completely set up blocking roads into entire valleys or river corridors, when we finally run into other hunters afield they immediately start swearing at us telling us this is "their" area

Hell one area we spent hours cutting into and scouting, left for the mid afternoon and when we went back for the evening their were four guys in the spot telling us to GTFO and they didn't do the hard work for us to come shoot their moose...

Let's not mention the amount of lying these hubters do, my God is it impossible to be honest and have a conversation with a fellow hunter? Don't tell me you haven't seen anything when I witnessed you glassing a moose that morning..

Until now I've hunted remotely in GOS areas and haven't had to interact with many hunters, but if this small sample is what they are like in the busy hubting areas then no wonder this sport is dying!

The best part is these aggressive loud mouth hunters are often old and obese yet have the gall to agress towards someone half their age and bigger than them... how someone hasn't slapped them across the head before is beyond me.

It seems that the majority of decent hunters are online and willing to share their knowledge the rest are just redneck idiots

End rant
    Agree 100%...blocking roads and trails...setting up camp on a fricken road and blocking it. I just drive my Side by side right through their camps and if I have too I'll run over what ever the phuck is in the way...bunch of entitled pricks is right!!

I was walking down a quad trail to a clear cut one time with 2 friends. Then out of nowhere this guy and his wife on an atv goes past us and sat at the clear cut we were going to. This trail was a dead end so he knew where we were going. It was right then and there that we started doing some target shooting on a nearby stump.

Some people’s kids I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    I was walking down a quad trail to a clear cut one time with 2 friends. Then out of nowhere this guy and his wife on an atv goes past us and sat at the clear cut we were going to. This trail was a dead end so he knew where we were going. It was right then and there that we started doing some target shooting on a nearby stump.

Some people’s kids I tell you.
    Now you're starting to become one of "them".
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    Now you're starting to become one of "them".
    Well when we’ve been hiking quietly for an hour to our spot and someone almost runs is over in their atv on a narrow trail, said person doesn’t deserve respect. It’s no different from me sitting in front of you so you can’t shoot and just sitting there waiting for game.

most respectful hunters would see people already going down the trail and either back out or move somewhere else.

That crappy about some of your guys experiences! For the most part I have ran into some pretty cool people. There is one popular area I hunt/camp at and there is always other camps within walking distance. Most guys share their plans with each other so we dont run into each other. I really enjoy others fires and stories. Lets raise our kids correctly and keep enjoying our heritage!

Wow you guys have it hard!!Must be hard. Sounds like you best buy beef and avoid the crowds. Don't forget your mask. Lol
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Ladies + Gentleman . This is the new world of self entitlement , best get use to it .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Wow....I have had a few run ins with jerks in the 55 years I have been hunting, but nothing like what the OP describes. In most instances I have found the majority of hunters are fine and I have gone out of my way to help many over the years because they were ill prepared with knowledge, equipment or both. In recent years I have found the "me" attitude is rearing its ugly head in just about all human activities and it really is annoying. If the use of weed and booze, the blocking of public access, etc is as bad as the OP says in that game unit I think the OP should call the CO's. WE all get branded by the same brush with non-hunters and if it is that bad there a tune-up would be the best way to benefit all of us in the long run. I have no sympathy for slob hunters.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    Well when we’ve been hiking quietly for an hour to our spot and someone almost runs is over in their atv on a narrow trail, said person doesn’t deserve respect. It’s no different from me sitting in front of you so you can’t shoot and just sitting there waiting for game.

most respectful hunters would see people already going down the trail and either back out or move somewhere else.
    While there is no doubt that the guy was a dick. It's also not "your spot" unless it's on private land and then you can tell them to FO. Like I said the guy was a dick no doubt but lots of problems and arguments arise when guys think a piece of crown land is theirs. I always have a back up and move on.