Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Yeah I have to agree with bad attitude encounters. We had a situation years ago where we were driving on a semi main FSR road to get to an area from where we normally hike in from. It was completely dark (early morning) and a couple hunters were blocking the road with their vehicle. I'm assuming they were most likely waiting for light to break so they could start their road hunt or going for a pit lamp hunt and we busted them lol. We tried to stop and chat but they wouldn't even put their window down, so eventually we waved and proceeded to pass them. They started their vehicle up and tried to box us in and suddenly became confrontational. Long story short, they felt they had the right to block the road which still continued for another 15 kms with several branch roads which went into other valleys. We would have gladly given them the space if they were willing to travel down the road or agree to go a different way if they were hunting a particular area and would have just talked to us. Except they didn't want to talk, move or let us pass. I'm all about respecting and giving space when someone is sitting at a spot but this was not that. Eventually we exchanged some words and ended up passing them. I can see this ruining a hunt or the day for a hunter.

I haven’t experienced this kind of thing very much. But I hunt in spots where nobody else does because apparently there’s no moose there
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

There will always be slobs out there. have experienced this a number of times before. You get to an area before any one else and start in or are sitting waiting for first light. All of a sudden guys show up and drive right by you without hesitation. No excuse for this other than a poor up bringing. Unfortunately etiquette is non existent in some and quickly disappearing with others. It seems to be more prevalent with road hunters but can also occur in any area with high hunter activity. Sad really. To the lazy and the entitled there are no rules either of engagement or fairness. It's all about them.

The reason these jerks are jerks is because they couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Trash and pollution not uncommon 40 years ago. How many times did I come across oil change sites, last years freezer burned meat dumped. More people more garbage now I guess.
    Very valid point.

Perhaps people haven't changed as much as social expectations have changed.

Political correctness was not so serious fifty years ago, and freedom of conscience was more allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

My favorite is that every hunter i have ever met mentions they just saw a grizzly up ahead .i suppose that is suppossed to make me leave the area.. i was born at night......but not last night

Interesting, I would say that the vast majority of fellow hunters that I've ever run into have been like minded guys and gals that are friendly and helpful. I personally have only had one incident over the years where I wanted to beat the shit of a guy. We've had guys that we have never met before let us hang elk in their refer unit because it was warm out. We've been invited to other camps for dinner and drinks. I hope your luck turns around because one of my favorite things about hunting is the folks we meet. Good luck, stay safe, have fun.
    "Gun control"...... is hitting what you aim at!!!!

You can't control other people, only how you react to others.

You don't have to talk to people you don't want to.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Trash and pollution not uncommon 40 years ago. How many times did I come across oil change sites, last years freezer burned meat dumped. More people more garbage now I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    The reason these jerks are jerks is because they couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.
    I can barely hunt my way out of a wet paper bag, but I would never disrespect someone else.
    I think the issues arise with generalizations of different generations and then they approach that type differently.
    I have yet to come across someone’s camp blocking an entire road but I have been very disappointed coming across shit left by useless individuals. Ie 2 vehicles abandoned up postill lake road

My dad isn’t a hunter. I don’t have many hunter friends. But all of my hunter friends won’t let me come along because they don’t want to show me their honey holes. Really most hunters are selfish and that’s understandable.

6 years of hunting and I have only shot 1 moose. I’ve had to teach myself through here and lots of googling. I haven’t ran into pricks yet. But I’ve heard stories of old guys that think they own an area just because they’ve been hunting there for years. That’s when Id fire a couple shots into a stump to scare everything off.
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-18-2020 at 06:31 PM.