Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

[QUOTE=whognu;2198427]Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

5 pages and no one has mentioned all these idiots are from Vancouver Island and the LML!

A**holes come from every town/area, not just the Island/Lowermainland. I’ve hunted, fished, jet boated all over this province and more meeting mostly genuine people, but have run into my share of idiots that were down right disgusting individuals. Sadly it’s these stories that leave a mark, not the countless stories that could be told about the great people we meet. I’ve been invited into camps for dinner, game help, vehicle help and all kinds of very generous offers. I’ve paid it forward many times helping out with others game, vehicle/fuel issues, flat tires or just a ride out of trouble. I was brought up old school where doing the right thing came first, then everything else that followed was the bonus. I’ve brought my sons up being exactly this and wish more people took the time to realize that what we do is a privilege, not a right.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

This blocking of roads etc is not new, I recall stories from back when there was an open "Any Bull Moose" season here in region 5, that there was often camps set up blocking access to miles and miles of roads behind the camp. I'm told, when confronted, a common reply was " I didn't spend all this money and come all this way to go home empty handed....so piss off", or something similiar

Now I "heard" that many folks in my part of region 5 didn't take kindly to this sort of thing.....i'm told it was very common back in those days for those who camped across roads to have VERY bad luck with tires and water jugs....coming back from a morning hunt to find every tire in camp flat, every water jug empty.....truly a mystery how a camp could have such bad luck.......

didn't take too many seasons of these camps having bad luck in certain areas before there were no more camps across roads

......or so I've heard.....
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

i wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that there is just more people in general. you constantly see spots taken the entire way eventually you either give up and go home or go near someone else and try not to bother them. i still try to find my own spots where i feel like no one is around and then magically someone appears. so maybe you just cant get away from people anymore unless you go into the backcountry.

To be honest, I think more young people are getting into hunting than ever! I think if you had Instagram youd see a ton of new, young hunters.

However, the latest "fad" is the gear-collector, backcountry hunter type. Not really moose hunting. Deer, goats, sheep

If anything, elk is the only BIG game animal being seriously chased by the hunters I see on Instagram. There really doesnt seem to be many chasing moose from this demographic I follow.

You know, all the BS about the self entitled younger generation........

....They had to be raised by someone...

Blocking roads etc as mentioned is not right, but damaging camps or flattening tires is even dumber could be life threatening if some one had a medical
    emergency and came back to flat tires.

These idiot hunters who claim "this is their spot" are bullies who never grew up. They treat people like crap every day. Especially when they are in groups with their like-minded moronic friends. Get them armed? Whoa Nelly! Now they are even more brave. They were likely bullies in grade school. They likely formed and stuck together in groups so they could act like aszz holes and not get beat down. Which is what they deserve...A good lesson in humbling. Gangs of selfish, morons, bullying their way though life. Sounds akin to gangs of bikers I've seen perform similarly.

I recall hunting in a general open season. Some folks set up a camp right in the middle of a main access road into the hunting area. They tried to block it off. On occasion before light, I would drive through the middle of their camp on my ATV, staying on the well-used trail. I ensured I was on the throttle. They were not up yet. They glared at me at dusk when I returned back to camp the same way some evenings. Finally I stopped and we had a conversation. It was not heated or elevated. I asked them why they would choose to set up their camp, in an attempt to block the main access trail into the hunting area? They did not have a good answer. I told them that I will continue to stay on the well used trail and avoid going around them, as to not further disturb the grasslands. 2 days later they left...
    Last edited by Kami; 09-19-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    You know, all the BS about the self entitled younger generation........

....They had to be raised by someone...
    Great Avatar, better post!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Funny reading this. Last year ran into a ass hat made camp barely off to the side of the road to a spot my wife and I frequent very very often. First thing in the morning go to drive by he stands in the middle of the road so I put up friendly ask how it’s going (530am) he says nothing. So I ask if he’s hunting in the area he snaps back yes and my buddies and two other guys who just went by. So I chuckle knowing how big the area is and turn around. I drive use the roads to get on top of the mountain right behind his camp bout two km hike away. And within three hours my wife has a buck down within 3 clicks of the road he tried to block. I know damn well he heard the gun shots. Hehehehe
    BC Wild sheep society
    BC BCHA
    BC wildlife federation
    RMGA

Lots of A-holes out there. Also, lots of really good people willing to help. Dollars to doughnuts those dink’s claiming their territory are not from the region or area and are just pissed that someone might be ruining their yearly trip. Not suggesting that it’s cool, but rightly or wrongly they feel slighted. It’s their problem if they haven’t scouted, made contingency plans or are otherwise adaptable to changing conditions. I’d say F-U if you claim some place that isn’t private property if you want to be a dock about it. Plenty of area to go around if you want to just get away from the family to get obliterated with your overweight buddies. I’ve got stories about being hours from civilization and getting threats for being on crown land. Some people are entitled to whatever they feel they should be and it’s garbage.