Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Well,

To update this thread I've spoke to the local CO and forwarded pictures of the offending camps with GPS locations, he assures me by the time we get back up there those camps will be taken down and they will have either moved to a rec site or vacated the area completely, and he's going to be looking for open containers and any other ticket offenses, he was disgusted when i told him what was going on and was elated I could provide pictures and GPS locations of the offending camps and their license plates... if it happens to be someone on HBC, maybe you will read this thread and give your God damn head a shake
    Well played Ryo! I like your style!

We need to police our own to a certain extent. Imagine the media feeding frenzy if non-hunters encountered and were harassed by these groups? All hunters would be even bigger pariahs in the general populations eyes.
    Last edited by Redthies; 09-19-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Lol! Have to be kidding me, been hunting for almost 30 years, guess what, there’s beer cans every year on the side of the road, there’s been people camped on roads, some smoked weed! I know there’s a lot of princesses on here that obey the law to the 10th but I can guarantee there’s a few on here that smoke weed and/or bring a 6 pack for the evening hunt.
    Would be great if you pack it in pack it out, the box of your pick up can collect your empties if you choose to have a few but really for everyone’s safety just be responsible.
    FYI I know after a long walk or hike I’ll have beer in a cooler and have one, sometimes even two but after that wait until camp!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

As an entry to the first post , and picking on older hunters . Look at society in general and its new norms now . When was the last time you while driving in a legal fashion felt threatened by a "young" driver in a car designed for a speed way . Presently try to fish the Vedder river and not get overwhelmed with the newer generation of do well equipped fishers who feel they own the river and have no problem with standing so close to you as intensive flinching with each of their casts . Am now 81 years old and after enjoyable early years of rifle hunting and the last 40 years of bowhunting (mostly with Longbow) , I have now quit hunting , not because because of physical limitations , but of the younger (not youth) hunters whose exuberance and enthusiasm when coupled with the new concept of hunting , a concept of extreme long range shooting and extensive baiting (farming without the fences) has to a large degree replaced bush skills . Before slamming the older hunters , consider this , having a younger hunter walking under your tree stand , look up and acknowledge and you and your longbow , crouch down , leans his rifle against some brush , takes out rattling antlers and begins his call in sequence . On another hunt , upon returning to my tree stand after lunch and archery practice having to encounter two older and one younger rifle hunters taking a smoke break under my stand . No problem with that and after some hunter talk they proceeded to leave I noticed my drop line to lower my bow was up to my stand . The younger hunter explained he wanted to see what it was like in a stand , I insisted he climb up and lower my drop line which he did but he had to untie the line from my arrow case containing wood arrows . On confronting him with his attempt at theft and feeble excuses , I realized the uncomfortable situation of confronting three armed indivuals with an unloaded longbow (lol) . One of the older hunters apologized and said they wouldn't bother me . This not to be construed as a rant but to point out that we must learn to adjust to the new norms (it took me awhile) but I did realizing we all have spirits and only by respecting those one can influence changes in attitude . So give the old timers a break and maybe they will pass on some of their hard learned lessons of "woodsmanship" . Cheers all and two years of missing being out there is helped by the converse on this site . Stay safe .
    Last edited by greybark; 09-19-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Ok, I am just going to say it: 81 years and "still" active on a hunting forum (labelled "junior" member, nevertheless), and still physically able to fish and hunt (in a tree stand, at that).... I tip my hat to you, sir... I hope I will be the same at that age (still more than 30 years to go) - you have my respect!

Hope you change your mind and running into you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    As an entry to the first post , and picking on older hunters . Look at society in general and its new norms now . When was the last time you while driving in a legal fashion felt threatened by a "young" driver in a car designed for a speed way . Presently try to fish the Vedder river and not get overwhelmed with the newer generation of do well equipped fishers who feel they own the river and have no problem with standing so close to you as intensive flinching with each of their casts . Am now 81 years old and after enjoyable early years of rifle hunting and the last 40 years of bowhunting (mostly with Longbow) , I have now quit hunting , not because because of physical limitations , but of the younger (not youth) hunters whose exuberance and enthusiasm when coupled with the new concept of hunting , a concept of extreme long range shooting and extensive baiting (farming without the fences) has to a large degree replaced bush skills . Before slamming the older hunters , consider this , having a younger hunter walking under your tree stand , look up and acknowledge and you and your longbow , crouch down , leans his rifle against some brush , takes out rattling antlers and begins his call in sequence . On another hunt , upon returning to my tree stand after lunch and archery practice having to encounter two older and one younger rifle hunters taking a smoke break under my stand . No problem with that and after some hunter talk they proceeded to leave I noticed my drop line to lower my bow was up to my stand . The younger hunter explained he wanted to see what it was like in a stand , I insisted he climb up and lower my drop line which he did but he had to untie the line from my arrow case containing wood arrows . On confronting him with his attempt at theft and feeble excuses , I realized the uncomfortable situation of confronting three armed indivuals with an unloaded longbow (lol) . One of the older hunters apologized and said they wouldn't bother me . This not to be construed as a rant but to point out that we must learn to adjust to the new norms (it took me awhile) but I did realizing we all have spirits and only by respecting those one can influence changes in attitude . So give the old timers a break and maybe they will pass on some of their hard learned lessons of "woodsmanship" . Cheers all and two years of missing being out there is helped by the converse on this site . Stay safe .

I agree that the Left / Right, Old / Young doesn't matter, there are idiots and great folks in all sectors of politics and age out there hunting.
    As hunters we have to get more of the younger folks out there or it'll simply die off.
    I'm from a non hunting Family, started late in life but got our Son into hunting, then Son In Law and now Grandaughter.

I remember the days when a guy sees a car or truck parked by a road (not blocking it) he would carry on to the next spot. Even if I were dropped off and he didn't know someone was up this little spur but he spotted me then they would quietly turn around give a wave and head on to another spot. And I was taught by my father to do the same thing.
    Same as fishing I get to a steel head hole and someone already on it and give a wave and move on to the next run. Today they just go crunching across the gravel and start wading right into the pool...etiquette??? Mostly gone.

That’s the reason I don’t moose hunt anymore. I have met very few a**hole mule deer sheep or goat hunters, maybe because I run into considerably less of them as never hunt the road. Running into hunters in back country I’ll ask where they intend to go and avoid area. If asked what I’ve seen I’ll let them know and if something is worth further pursuit I’ll mention that as well and generally they will avoid that area.

5 pages and no one has mentioned all these idiots are from Vancouver Island and the LML!

hey! I resemble that remark.....

Hunting brings out the "competitive nature" in a lot of hunters.
    I was always nice, but i certainly was competitive, which meant i got out there and into place before anyone else.
    And yes, frustrating when someone else walked in to "my spot".
    Overtime, i learned to accept it, and with age, have relaxed...a bit.

Blocking roads and such...total bs and never ever did stuff like that.
    Met a lot of good people, but quite a few pricks as well.
    Doubt that will ever change.

Suppose it is why they call hunting a sport???
    To bad however, because it is supposed to be a lifestyle, and who doesn't want to have more friends in their lives???
    Sorry to hear your experience....and rant on, it needs to be said!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    I agree that the Left / Right, Old / Young doesn't matter, there are idiots and great folks in all sectors of politics and age out there hunting.
    As hunters we have to get more of the younger folks out there or it'll simply die off.
    I'm from a non hunting Family, started late in life but got our Son into hunting, then Son In Law and now Grandaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    I remember the days when a guy sees a car or truck parked by a road (not blocking it) he would carry on to the next spot. Even if I were dropped off and he didn't know someone was up this little spur but he spotted me then they would quietly turn around give a wave and head on to another spot. And I was taught by my father to do the same thing.
    Same as fishing I get to a steel head hole and someone already on it and give a wave and move on to the next run. Today they just go crunching across the gravel and start wading right into the pool...etiquette??? Mostly gone.
    Yes, good and bad in all age groups and races. And etiquette, common sense; few and far between nowadays.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.