Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

I always go with the theory that one day you may need some help in the bush.
    Goes for both sides, but try to not burn a bridge because you never know when you’re going to need it.

This is why i stick to small game and birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    While there is no doubt that the guy was a dick. It's also not "your spot" unless it's on private land and then you can tell them to FO. Like I said the guy was a dick no doubt but lots of problems and arguments arise when guys think a piece of crown land is theirs. I always have a back up and move on.
    oh yeah us too. If he was there first we would have gladly backed out. But we were there first and on foot. 15 mins atv ride for him was an hour walk back up for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JIL_24/7 View Post
    Same experience with weed and open containers and garbage last year when I was in 5-15, but these were young dudes. Either way, gives the whole trip a bad taste.
    whats wrong with WEED its legal No different then booze ? do you drink ? if so whats the issue if there being respectful about it..
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

Here’s how I’ve always seen hunting. It’s like a career in life. You can be lucky and be born in a family that hunts. You can befriend someone who hunts. Finally, you have to do it all by yourself.

1. Most born in a family with hunters are usually spoiled hunting wise. They get the best hunting spots from generations of research. They usually get their first kill before they turn 16. They are basically set for life when it comes to hunting success.

2. Most who befriend hunters will learn from them and gain success as a hunter as well. These guys usually return the favour and teach other new hunters. These guys are usually easy to get along with.

3. Then there are those who have to lear by themselves. These guys usually have to learn from scratch starting from adulthood. They usually don’t get a kill on their first year and will look for anyone to help them.

What I’ve usually encountered is people from group 1 try to squander all the success to themselves. They try to keep it all in the family. Group 3 asks for help, they usually give out the usual answers “in the woods”, “read up online what to look for” and many will even try to sabotage you.

I was in group 3 until recently. I met someone from group 1 who was humble and doesn’t hoard all the secrets to success.

My point is, hunting isn’t a family business. You don’t own the land, you have no right to hoard it or the animals. I don’t care how many generations were spent gathering information. We have no choice but to share it. Stop being dinks to each other. One day there aren’t going to be very many hunters and then you can say goodbye to hunting publicly. It will leave only the rich with lots of private land, as hunters.
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-18-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex hunter View Post
    whats wrong with WEED its legal No different then booze ? do you drink ? if so whats the issue if there being respectful about it..
    You shouldn’t be hunting high or drunk. I think that’s what they meant.

So in reading all this (and I got sucked into some of the negativity) what about people's good experiences with fellow outdoorsman. I can say I shot my first buck on some random guys info that I met in the woods. I was 16 years old and the best hunting advice I had, came from field and stream, bc outdoors and outdoor life. After a 10 minute chat with some random guy in the woods I was standing there with a dead buck on the ground. I followed his advice and everything was like gold. Perhaps it was luck but I have always tried to pay it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    You shouldn’t be hunting high or drunk. I think that’s what they meant.
    Yes I strongly agree booze or weed don't need to be used while hunting nor even driving city streets but some folks do. And even the people who complain about a hunting camp drinking I wouldn't be surprised if some of them folk pound a few beers or wine and get behind a wheel..
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

This thread is full of entitlement on both sides and I laugh at all of you. Its all public land, if its private deal with it as so legally. If its public suck it up, people suck plain and simple its 2020.....but if youre hunting a road thats just part of the game. I have moved on from hunting FSRs around fruit loops because some "hunter" on a sxs with an aftermarket rattle blaster can will rip past you and thats just part of the game. Hike off the roads, get away from the crowds, you will find game, and peace and quiet but it takes effort, thats the way it should be. Blocking roads, D bag move, Drinkin a case and dropping trash on the road, D bag move, Rippin past people walking a road D bag move, Guess what.....theres a Metric F ton of D bags out there, choose to be better than them and you will succeed. Ive had guys fly past me on SXS and quads and seen big bucks not 2 minutes later so quit yer bitchen......

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    This thread is full of entitlement on both sides and I laugh at all of you. Its all public land, if its private deal with it as so legally. If its public suck it up, people suck plain and simple its 2020.....but if youre hunting a road thats just part of the game. I have moved on from hunting FSRs around fruit loops because some "hunter" on a sxs with an aftermarket rattle blaster can will rip past you and thats just part of the game. Hike off the roads, get away from the crowds, you will find game, and peace and quiet but it takes effort, thats the way it should be. Blocking roads, D bag move, Drinkin a case and dropping trash on the road, D bag move, Rippin past people walking a road D bag move, Guess what.....theres a Metric F ton of D bags out there, choose to be better than them and you will succeed. Ive had guys fly past me on SXS and quads and seen big bucks not 2 minutes later so quit yer bitchen......
    Lol, like I said some people are just pricks