Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

There is lots to learn from the elders in our hunting community. Respect, ask, listen.
    Last edited by slowjo; 09-23-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Times are changing, nothing stays the same. Most hunters I have met are exellent stewards and willing to help you out with a search, pack out, or breakdown etc...age has nothing to do with it.
    I have had guys drive up to my camp (which is always in a secluded spot) park, get out and start hunting, lol...
    The best one thus far is the phucktard who walked 5 ft from my camper and followed my tracks in the snow for 1.5-2km until he was on my 6 on the ridge above lol....Hi, wtf are you doing?

My experience has been mixed bag.. however I have encountered friendly even helpful hunters a couple times, one guy flagged me down and asked if I had the bull moose draw for the area, I didn't and was there just for the mulies anyway he had located it and was hoping to run into the party that had the LEH to help them out. I will say this though.. It pisses me of big time to see the trash some other jackasses leave after their trip.. It really only takes a few minutes to pick up after yourself, put everything in a contractor bag and chuck in the back of the truck.

I find if you can atv or drive to a spot the more assholes you meet weather it's camping or hunting. I've never met an asshole on a backpacking trail. The further off the road you can get the better off you will be.

I have found bigger the group bigger the entitlement... that's not just hunting thats life, business, sports, dam even parents at kids recreation. Its just life.

I will say though while on our LEH, not only did we run into other hunters but they also advised us of how the area works (this was not to put us off as we ran into them on day 3 with a moose, exactly as they had said it would happen)
    As others have pointed out there is no such things as our or their land, it's just an opportunity that is there one day then not the next, just be thankful you are out in the woods and not in a mall shopping.

Honey Holes..... this makes me laugh most honey holes are just areas that you go to one day and see game, most are easy to get to and most other local to the area will know about, so it really isnt that secret to be honest. That said if you are after a certain animal, like a big buck or an old mature buck, i get it, dont give it out you have worked hard for x amount of seasons.

I once told someone I got my deer on the Squamish FSR, which lets be fair its the most secret of areas in BC (sarcasm just encase the trolls of HBC come after me), then hear through another hunter a few weeks later that they heard about a honey hole as some guy got a deer up there (i was said guy the story was exactly as i had said lol )

Question, would hunting be better off without social media? you know maybe just enjoy it for what it is and not have to post or shout about it etc?
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    You can't control other people, only how you react to others.

You don't have to talk to people you don't want to.
    Once again the voice of reason. Like the wise old man on the mountain...

...................................Gateholio, Cira 2033.......................................

Some old farts are bitter because they remember the good old days when the game was plentiful, there were fewer hunters and they still had their youthful strength and bodies. Lots of these guys have pack mentality and are only pricks when they know someone has their back. Even one on one these guys tend to be prickly but they will likely not even be up their by themselves. Hyenas not Lions. Remember, everyone has and needs an asshole - just some become prolapsed and angrier than others.

Tough to escape this crap - old, self-entitles, young and noisy, atv croud, garbage pigs, road blockers, thieves and vandals ... lot's of crap everywhere whenever a prime area exists.

You're really never going to change anyone like this and I've simply giving up that battle which just end up causing me stress and money. I avoid the crowds, go to less prime areas where people have overlooked. Easier said than done, I know but this is the only way I can enjoy my outings. I can get pretty prickly myself once someone gets my hackles up those days of fighting are over for me.

Funny about the Vedder - I live 20 minutes from the river and I've given up fishing there. I just lost the desire to fight the crowds - screw it - not for me anymore.

I’m out in the Bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone I run into is pretty good.

I find if you make a friendly face and greet someone in a friendly manner it is usually reciprocated...

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    i’m out in the bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone i run into is pretty good.

I find if you make a friendly face and greet someone in a friendly manner it is usually reciprocated...
    x2........

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I’m out in the Bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone I run into is pretty good.

I'm with you totally on this - and just like Sex Panther - "60% of the time, it works every time"