Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Who the heck likes to discuss with people who has guns? just shoot at the air and act crazy... they will just run away.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Hg hit it right on the nose. Most hunters you see dont know how to hunt. They drive or quad roads hoping to get lucky. The odd one goes for a short hike and wanders around hoping to get lucky. Hg understands that reading the bush is what a hunter does, posers are the guys that cant hunt their way out of a wet bag.
    Yes and No. Lots of old hunters have the knowledge but their bodies simply aren't able to take on the physical challenges anymore. I fall into that category. Unless I have a buddy with me, I limit my hike to one km max from the truck and only in the mornings. My eyesight and coordination starts to challenge me in the fading light of the evening. Last thing I need to be doing at night is making pack out trips to retrieve my fallen game. I still do well enough but I respect my limits now. I expect there will be a time when all I'll really be able to do is walk old overgrown roads and then be limited to vehicle hunting of some sort. I'm not worried about myself but more for the future of hunting for all.

I also believe in Karma and I have to work on keeping on the right side of prickly when things get tense out there. I help out whenever I see someone in need - at least as much as I can. I expect there will be a time when I need help and I like the idea of depositing a few good acts before needing to draw upon some help.
    Last edited by Rieber; 09-23-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I was out hunting this Monday with my daughters. We called in a bull and a half of dozen cows. I tried for about 5 minutes to get my 12 yr old a good shooting lane, but the grass was tall and she is too little to hold the gun steady without a rest. We had one good lane that the bull stepped into a couple times, but never presented a good shot so she never pulled the trigger. For a twelve year old to have an elk in her scope is always a good day. Anyway, these elk took off and we never did get them. Unknown to us, there was another group of hunters that were in the same area. They had come up on the elk as well. They have hunted there for years, but this was my first time in the area. After the elk left, we realized we weren't alone so we went to talk to these guys. They asked me not to tell anyone the spot was there, we had a few laughs, reviewed the evenings events and went on our way. All respectful. Normally, if I see an old guy hunting in an area, I will give him his space. I will be the old one one day that can't put on the miles like I used to, but I will be out there still. I was watching meat eater last night on netflix and in the words of Steve rinella " There are two types of hunters. The ones in your group, and the ass holes." I had to laugh at the satement as ther is so much truth about how we feel when we come across someone else in the woods. As far as telling people about hunting spots, I don't always tell people where I hunt, but when I do, I LIE!
    Everyone take a deep breath, forget about the bad experiences, and make sure you are not that guy! A smile goes a long way. I'd say I hope to see you out there, but I really don't!. I do hope you have good luck though, just not in my spot......
    Great post, good luck to you and the family this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I was out hunting this Monday with my daughters. We called in a bull and a half of dozen cows. I tried for about 5 minutes to get my 12 yr old a good shooting lane, but the grass was tall and she is too little to hold the gun steady without a rest. We had one good lane that the bull stepped into a couple times, but never presented a good shot so she never pulled the trigger. For a twelve year old to have an elk in her scope is always a good day. Anyway, these elk took off and we never did get them. Unknown to us, there was another group of hunters that were in the same area. They had come up on the elk as well. They have hunted there for years, but this was my first time in the area. After the elk left, we realized we weren't alone so we went to talk to these guys. They asked me not to tell anyone the spot was there, we had a few laughs, reviewed the evenings events and went on our way. All respectful. Normally, if I see an old guy hunting in an area, I will give him his space. I will be the old one one day that can't put on the miles like I used to, but I will be out there still. I was watching meat eater last night on netflix and in the words of Steve rinella " There are two types of hunters. The ones in your group, and the ass holes." I had to laugh at the satement as ther is so much truth about how we feel when we come across someone else in the woods. As far as telling people about hunting spots, I don't always tell people where I hunt, but when I do, I LIE!
    Everyone take a deep breath, forget about the bad experiences, and make sure you are not that guy! A smile goes a long way. I'd say I hope to see you out there, but I really don't!. I do hope you have good luck though, just not in my spot......
    i would suggest getting some shooting sticks for the exact reason you mention for your kids, we use to just cut a forked stick, worked for them many times.

My background is surfing (spent my first 30 Years in Australia), and it’s very similar. Both hunting and surfing mean your are competing for space and trying to find a great spot all to yourself. Unfortunately that breeds a lot of protectionism and fuels a lot of dispute about “my spot vs your spot”, which tends to mean the older guys can get a bit pissy about younger guys taking up space.

it’s just the way it is, and hopefully we can create a culture where we can be more open to sharing, but this generally happens when you spend time in a place and get to know people, not when you turn up and expect a place at the table.

I haven’t read this whole thread, but I thought I’d share a quick story from last week.

I was on a week long moose trip. Midday we were doing some scouting and found a good area with recent activity. We went there the next afternoon and called until after dark and walked back to my quad in pitch black. The next morning we were parking our quads in pitch black and walking into the bush just as it was getting light. We had a bull grunting at us, but couldn’t get him to show himself.

Around 9-9:30 a group of road hunters drove by us and didn’t see us. I thought they had driven past us and kept on travelling up the road(the road didn’t go much further, so they couldn’t have gone far). About 15 minutes go by and then I hear two short cow calls followed up by an immediate bull grunt. I looked at my partner and immediately said”it’s those guys in the sxs “. I let out a cow call right away. Next thing I know, the guy starts calling some more and I can see his partner circling us on the road above. He still can’t see us. We just stood up and started walking up to the road when he finally noticed and turned around to head back to his partner.

We went back to grab our machines and I decided to drive by and give a friendly hello. When I stopped to talk to the guy he asked me why I was hunting up here. I was about 6kms from my camp and about 3 from where he was camped. I guess he figured it was his area, because he was camped closer.

The more I think about it the more I wonder. He had to drive by our quads which weren’t terribly far away from where we hiked into the bush. I could clearly see my footprints in the dirt where we left our machines, walked up the road and where we left the road. Is he that stupid he couldn’t figure out we were there, or was he calling on top of us just to be an ass hole?

The ironic thing is he setup camp right beside me a few years ago and I gave him 5 gallons of gas when I was headed home, because he was short.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I think that rather than perpetuating hunting among common people, many hunters would rather lock the gate behind them to enjoy opportunity for themselves at the expense of the next generation. They don't admit it, but they act like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

"If you meet an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, then you may be the asshole."

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    "If you meet an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, then you may be the asshole."
    This is good. I might use it.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
    That’s not true and you know it. It’s not about being left or right. It’s about not understanding hunting. Instead of putting your political spin on things, educate people. I have a brother in law who is very left. He loves hunting and shooting. He used to hate guns because he was a doctor in the USA and has seen so many shot children.

Myself and my other brother in law showed him the difference between being a gun owner and a gun nut. We showed him how hunting moose and elk every year was more environmentally friendly than eating beef. Se also showed him how ungulates that aren’t shot don’t die peacefully. They get too old, too hungry, or too sick to run and they almost always get torn apart by predators.

Educate the ignorant to our ways instead of putting them down. Stop with this divisive mindset. I’m an immigrant and people that think like you is exactly why it’s so hard to get non Canadian born people into hunting. You act as if you have to be a conservative redneck to be a hunter.
    bruce44, I don't post on here very much but I have to say kudos, I completely agree with everything you're saying. Hunting doesn't have to be an all or nothing left or right wong political thing. It's hunting that is all.