Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

its because the vast majority of older hunters are complete pricks.

There, I said it.. now that is out of the way id love to try to figure out where these gentleman get their endless amounts of entitlement?

We are currently on a moose hunt in 5-15 we rented a cabin knowing the days would be long and hard..

We have scouted for a solid week put countless km on the boots over 1000km on the machines disecting our zone (prior to the hunt) the first 5 days were complete silence and solitude the the other hunters started rolling in, which was great or so I thought..

Every single one of these groups (7!) Besides ONE of them has been completely ignorant disrespectful and entitled.. multiple camps completely set up blocking roads into entire valleys or river corridors, when we finally run into other hunters afield they immediately start swearing at us telling us this is "their" area

Hell one area we spent hours cutting into and scouting, left for the mid afternoon and when we went back for the evening their were four guys in the spot telling us to GTFO and they didn't do the hard work for us to come shoot their moose...

Let's not mention the amount of lying these hubters do, my God is it impossible to be honest and have a conversation with a fellow hunter? Don't tell me you haven't seen anything when I witnessed you glassing a moose that morning..

Until now I've hunted remotely in GOS areas and haven't had to interact with many hunters, but if this small sample is what they are like in the busy hubting areas then no wonder this sport is dying!

The best part is these aggressive loud mouth hunters are often old and obese yet have the gall to agress towards someone half their age and bigger than them... how someone hasn't slapped them across the head before is beyond me.

It seems that the majority of decent hunters are online and willing to share their knowledge the rest are just redneck idiots

End rant

2. Site Sponsor

Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

Completely get that and have experienced same......its sad.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    Completely get that and have experienced same......its sad.
    I think more frustrating than their attitude is their lack of respect we scouted pretty much every passable area pre season and saw next to no trash, now that these camps have moved in there's empty beer bottles beer cans, energy drinks chip bags pepperoni rappers and all the other traditional redneck trash which I can guarantee you these idiots are throwing all over the place.. not to mention more often than not these people have had open containers of alcohol in their vehicles whether its an off road machine or otherwise.

May just be time to give the local CO a heads up.

It's a mixed bag for sure. Same thing with most outdoor activities. There are selfish/greedy/greasy campers, anglers, hunters, drivers, shoppers, you name it... any group of people there are always bad apples. Think of some of the spots around Chilliwack River during salmon runs. People cutting right in front of others casting, fist fights and people getting shoved into the water. Heck, just think of random drivers you encountered on the highway on your way there... no shortage of A holes on the planet.

Some will steal, some will sabotage, be rude or, act recklessly or whatever.

Usually comes down to greed, selfishness, entitlement, lack of morals, ethics and integrity.

I do understand people lying about what they have seen. It seems like a harmless question to ask if someone has seen something but if it is an animal they are interested in pursuing, it is actually a very awkward position to be in.

Options are:

1) Tell truth and potentially have that person decide to focus on the animal you are after
    2) Say that you would "prefer not to say" which is pretty much the same as #1 or
    3) Lie or or deflect ("Nope. Nothing", "Saw a few grouse this mornin")

I always used to greet hunters with that friendly question of "Seen anything?" (not because I care about going after what they but rather just to make conversation like most do and give them a chance to talk about their excitement) but then realised that can actually be an uncomfortable / threatening question. Now I just ask how their day is going. If they saw anything and want to talk about that, then they will... or they can just talk about anything they want... but as you mentioned, there are some really greasy people out there who will boldly hunt within 50 yards or you or go after the animal you tell them about should you decide to tell them you saw something. It's nothing personal, just A holes that ruin it for everybody to the point you have to assume there is a possibility you are talking to an A hole... and we all have to accept that others can not confirm whether or not they are talking to an A hole when they are talking to us... who knows, maybe I am one
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-18-2020 at 02:50 PM.

I have only really experienced hunters with a bad attitude once that I can recall. It was in a heavily hunted area and the camp that set up just down from us was getting really frustrated as our meat pole was starting to fill up as there wisky bottles were being drained. They started accusing us of all sorts of things but it was an easy spot to hunt if you got up in the morning and walked.

In my experience assh**** come in all ages. Not sure how many authorizations but a successful shared hunt can bring more than just those who were in the draw. Have hunted 5-02 at this time of year and it can be a gong show. Here's what we do. We don't use quads game hate those things and the more roaring around the more game hides. It can sound like Mad Max somedays.You don't have to get to far off the road to start seeing moose. Look for meadows or wet areas away from the road and don't build trails as it just alerts other hunters to have a look. You're there early for this hunt we've always got our moose in the last 3 days. It's going to be busy(probably more to come) so just try separating yourself from the herd. One other thing is that any bull we took was always with a cow and calf. I know one year of 4 bulls all taken in the same vicinity of 1 cow and calf over 3 days. Hang in there and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    In my experience assh**** come in all ages.
    This is also very true.

Same experience with weed and open containers and garbage last year when I was in 5-15, but these were young dudes. Either way, gives the whole trip a bad taste.

I see it too. It's not just hunters.

Just look at a few disgracefully aging HBCers to find an elitist mentality that will end hunting here just like in England.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Trash and pollution not uncommon 40 years ago. How many times did I come across oil change sites, last years freezer burned meat dumped. More people more garbage now I guess.